Thread: Silhouette and sun clips

Occupation
    Optometrist

Silhouette and sun clips

Silhouette clearly makes cool frames, and durable ones at that.

But what is wrong with their sun clip designers? We just got the new Silhouettes with the band of beta titanium across the top and the sun clip for this thing is far worse than even the standard Minimal Art clips.

My 3 year-old daughter is no engineer, but I'm sure she could come up with a better mounting system than this.

-Steve

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Alternative

Many rimless frame suppliers use Uni-Clip(www.uni-clip.com), a rimless custom clip as alternative. You can see how they look like on similar frames in www.freeformeyewear.com .

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Clips for Silhouette eyewear

Ask your Silhouette Rep what alternative clip they like on their frames.

One that will fit perfectly + match color perfectly = OKO-Custom Clips.

Silhouette eyewear + OKO-Custom Clips = happy satisfied customers.
    .:cheers:

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Clip View Post
    Many rimless frame suppliers use Uni-Clip(www.uni-clip.com), a rimless custom clip as alternative. You can see how they look like on similar frames in www.freeformeyewear.com .
    Uni-Clip,

Your clip-ons look quite similar (Top Bar and the front metal pieces on the lens) in design as E Clips. Curious, who came up with the design first?
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 08-11-2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: forgot to type what looked similar

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love everything about Uni-Clip except the lenses not staying tight and having to be repeatedly tightened, thus digging deeper and deeper into the lens and finally breaking or cracking it. And yes, I've made them myself and had them made by 3 other outfits with the same results. One of them was Centennial.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

who's the first

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Uni-Clip,

Your clip-ons look quite similar (Top Bar and the front metal pieces on the lens) in design as E Clips. Curious, who came up with the design first?
    I'm not sure who's the first to design this idea. Surely not us, and neither is E-clip. BalClip designed some 20-30 years ago by Bausch & Lomb had inspired everybody, that's what I heard. I used to have friends worked at B&L's Frame Center in Rochester told me even BalClip was inspired by some previous items. We used to manufacture a lot of Ray Ban for B&L.

When we developed Uni-Clip in 1996(launched in late 1999, took many years to research and refine), we did study E-clip, Nu-clip, Fantom, and many others to make sure we take care all the problems these individual clips have. So Uni-Clip is an improved version of everybody.

Lak Cheong
    www.uni-clip.com
    www.acuityeyewear.com

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by loncoa View Post
    I love everything about Uni-Clip except the lenses not staying tight and having to be repeatedly tightened, thus digging deeper and deeper into the lens and finally breaking or cracking it. And yes, I've made them myself and had them made by 3 other outfits with the same results. One of them was Centennial.
    Please send me a private email and let me know your mailing address and I'll send you a CD which will show you how easy you can fix this problem. Sorry that we don't have a distributor or service agent in Canada to assist our customers in problems like this. I'll try to recruit one as soon as possible. It's a matter of passing on the technical knowhows.

To be brief, the loosening can easily be avoided by making sure the lens is fully inserted into the metal casing, i.e. lens bevel touching the "ceiling" of clasp where there is an arc to avoid rocking. Tightening again will not work, you have to do it on the first time. Anyhow, when you see the CD, you'll understand rightaway. I'm sorry that the reseller did not mention about this. I'll be happy to send you a few pieces to try again.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Clip View Post
    I'm not sure who's the first to design this idea. Surely not us, and neither is E-clip. BalClip designed some 20-30 years ago by Bausch & Lomb had inspired everybody, that's what I heard. I used to have friends worked at B&L's Frame Center in Rochester told me even BalClip was inspired by some previous items. We used to manufacture a lot of Ray Ban for B&L.

When we developed Uni-Clip in 1996(launched in late 1999, took many years to research and refine), we did study E-clip, Nu-clip, Fantom, and many others to make sure we take care all the problems these individual clips have. So Uni-Clip is an improved version of everybody.

Lak Cheong
    www.uni-clip.com
    www.acuityeyewear.com
    What were some of the problems you found with the other clips?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Problems

It's not nice and fair for me to comment on individual clip's problem. However, let me state that they are all innovative(from my manufacturing point of view), BUT they all commit one common error. They did not consider the "human factor" in the lab or ECP's office during the customizing process. They all demand high craftsmanship and experience to make a great, durable clip out of their chassis. A lot of guessing and "trial and error" are involved in making their clips. Uni-Clip, on the other hand, standardized the assembling process and a lab tech can easily pick up the skill after reading our material and tried the first piece. This makes Uni-Clip a lot more receptive to optical labs, due to its easiness and low labour cost of assembling. We believe the best custom clip solution should allow the ECP's to send their frame and clip order to one single lab and get done at the same time. We currently have more than 50 labs in US making Uni-Clips and we are quickly expanding this business model.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    FYI: The spam has been deleted and the spammer banned.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless this is another of my ancient confused memories a BAL-Clip was not a clip on sun. It was (and I do have one of these sans one temple in my dresser at home) a method of attaching lenses to the chassis. The chassis was somewhat similar to a lot of chord mounts but made of spring steel. Some tangs were on each end of the chassis which fit into a notched lens.
    Or possibly this was the BAL-Grip and the BAL-clip was another product entirely.

Chip

Thread Information