Thread: can you tell me

OptiBoard Apprentice

can you tell me

okay im a few days away from my eye opointment and i was wondering how low does your astigmatism have to be to were regular contacts. I really want colored contacts, but there is only one brand that makes them for astigmatism.

p.s.,

i love this board so much because it is so prefessional

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Please check with your ECP

Thanks! :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    Thanks! :hammer:
    im serious this board is great. This one has people who know what they are talking baout and i reall depend of your infomation. All the others that try to be like you fail

OptiBoardaholic
    Though we can't answer specifically to your case, I can tell you this...

Non-custom soft contact lenses aren't produced in cylinder powers less than 0.75 diopters.

Because you are a consumer, not an optical professional, this board is really not what you are looking for. You should just have a chat with your doctor, he will answer questions that are specific to you. Don't be suprised if you don't get much feedback from Optiboarders.

Hope your appointment goes well. If your doc doesn't answer your questions, I would encourage you to find a new one.

OptiBoard Novice
    do you know what your prescription is?
    different contact lens manufacturers have different availability with now more and more manufacturers looking to improve contact lens wear for patients with astigmatism

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fizz4u
    do you know what your prescription is?
    different contact lens manufacturers have different availability with now more and more manufacturers looking to improve contact lens wear for patients with astigmatism
    im not real sure right now but i will know tuesday. What i was saying was that i know that some people that have low astigmatism can wera regular soft lens contacts. I wanted to know how low does it have to be

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pretty low. Some patients can tolerate (Or even see better) with more astigmatism than others. If it is enough to be a visual or fitting problem, it can make things much harder (in some cases) to do than when astigmatism is not present. In some brands, one attempts to fit the eye and (astigmatism) first, then get addittional lenses in color, especially if the colored lens is a "custom made lens." Also "custom made lenses" with color and correction for astigmatism can be conciderablely more costly.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    well in essence a contact lens with astigmatism is known as a 'toric lens' and there are quite a few companies out there that DO manufacture Toric lenses. I know B&L and J&J have recently launched a new breed of torics.
    Really do need to have some idea of your prescription.:)

Am i right in saying that the general rule is that if your cyl is upto 1/3 of your sph then you should get away without having too many problems with a normal contact lens? (ie one that is not a toric?)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a technical point but "Toric" means any surface having more two curvatures on the same surface. Doesn't matter if its a contact lens, or a piece of steel.

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by fizz4u
    Am i right in saying that the general rule is that if your cyl is upto 1/3 of your sph then you should get away without having too many problems with a normal contact lens? (ie one that is not a toric?)
    My rx is OD +5.75 -1.00 x 30, OS +5.00 -1.25 x 180 ... I noticed a huge improvement with torics :) . Whether my cyl is a third of my sphere power I cannot tell (just a humble consumer you see :o ).

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that torics are also a better shape for astigmatics ... so they also fit better.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mirage:

You are right to the extent that you may try a sphere first in these cases. But always hold a cross cylinder over the CL and if va is improved appreciably, you should be using a toric or at least a rigid lens. Comfort can be improved with a toric in a rigid lens if significant (over 2.5 diopters) of corneal cylinder present, with less you are usually spinning your wheels.

Chip

Of course things could be different on the other side of the equator.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information