Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling all philosophy majors

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

calling all philosophy majors

Watched Bush's speech last night (almost won the poll, I predicted 5 references to 9-11, there were actually 6. So close!!!) Anyway, I was trying to remember what you call the fallacy of this argument: we invaded Iraq and now there are a lot of terrorists in training terror there, therefore we are justified in our invasion. (The example I remember when learning about this particular sort of fallacious argument was the famous one of the man who kills his parents then asks for mercy as he is an orphan). What is this called????? I HATE this memory erosion stuff!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Now I ain’t no bar room philosopher. I’m just a plain old country boy. But, it seems that you were more intent on counting references to 9-11 than in listening to the Presidents Message. What do you call that?

Occupation
    Low tolerance for spin.

Now, what do you call using that "I'm just an old country boy" bromide?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    chm2023 wrote:Watched Bush's speech last night (almost won the poll, I predicted 5 references to 9-11, there were actually 6. So close!!!) Anyway, I was trying to remember what you call the fallacy of this argument: we invaded Iraq and now there are a lot of terrorists in training terror there, therefore we are justified in our invasion.
    Far be it for me to remind you that we have 3 categories of fallacies: material fallacy (misstatement of facts), verbal fallacies (improper use of words) and logical fallacies (a mistake in the process of inference). Which of these 3 categories would you like to place your attractive but unreliable piece of reasoning?
    Last edited by ksquared; 06-29-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared
    chm2023 wrote: Far be it for me to remind you that we have 3 categories of fallacies: material fallacy (misstatement of facts), verbal fallacies (improper use of words) and logical fallacies (a mistake in the process of inference). Which of these 3 categories would you like to place your attractive but unreliable piece of reasoning?
    Obviously logical but there is a more precise descriptor of this as a fallacious argument, have to look it up. (Nice bit of paralipsis BTW;) )

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Since when did a phylosopher contribute anything toward the solution of an immediate problem? A rare few greeks may have contributed something toward future society as a whole, but today they are mostly professional student types who don't want to work for a living. They sit around and pontificate as though they had the answer to the worlds problems. Rarely one of them may actually find a teaching job at a college but basicly they neither spin nor sew and contribute little, occasionally having more importance given to thier words than they are worthy of by virtue of having been professional students.

Look more to the common man for your solutions. GM always showed a profit when it's presidents were promoted from the production ranks. They started loseing when they hired over educated experts.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip astutly states: Since when did a phylosopher contribute anything toward the solution of an immediate problem? .... but basicly they neither spin nor sew and contribute little........
    I would never be one to tell Chip that his views on philosophy are rather narrow in scope or that some of what he posts would be considered to be rather stereotypical in nature.

I won’t bother to explain philosophy contains many practical applications including but not limited to – ethics, epistemology, aesthetics, ontology and logic.

It would be most inappropriate for me to point out that the study of these elements could help him understand his notion of what knowledge, the concept of evidence, and justified beliefs really are.

Nor will I mention that an in depth knowledge of this subject would help him as he tries to follow along in these type of everyday rhetorical discussions.

Chip would probably be reluctant to admit that he doesn’t have time for such things since working on his spelling is taking up all his time.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would never be one to tell Chip that his views on philosophy are rather narrow in scope or that some of what he posts would be considered to be rather stereotypical in nature.

I won’t bother to explain philosophy contains many practical applications including but not limited to – ethics, epistemology, aesthetics, ontology and logic.

It would be most inappropriate for me to point out that the study of these elements could help him understand his notion of what knowledge, the concept of evidence, and justified beliefs really are.

Nor will I mention that an in depth knowledge of this subject would help him as he tries to follow along in these type of everyday rhetorical discussions.

Chip would probably be reluctant to admit that he doesn’t have time for such things since working on his spelling is taking up all his time.
    Wow, you seem to be having a rather bad day. I would hope thats why someone who's veiws are different then yours can catch such insults. I hope things look up and that you can soon enjoy educated banter with other optical folks on this forum.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This answer from Walt (remember Walt?):

"The Pygmalion Effect (Self fulfilling prophesy), also see "convoulted logic" and "reverse logic".

http://www.accel-team.com/pygmalion/

http://www.accel-team.com/pygmalion/prophecy_01.html

"The concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy can be summarized in these key principles:

- We form certain expectations of people or events
    - We communicate those expectations with various cues
    - People tend to respond to these cues by adjusting their behavior to match them
    - The result is that the original expectation becomes true"
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Anyway, I was trying to remember what you call the fallacy of this argument: we invaded Iraq and now there are a lot of terrorists in training terror there, therefore we are justified in our invasion.
    From my wife, who was a reader for a Critical Thinking class for 7 years:

She is probably thinking this is Circular Reasoning, but that's not correct.

Premise: We invaded Iraq

Premise: Now there are terrorists in Iraq

Implied Premise: We invaded Iraq because of the terrorists there.

Implied Premise: Our invasion of Iraq would be justified if there were terrorists there.

Conclusion: We are justified in invading Iraq.

Fallacy: Suppressed Evidence. The terrorists were not there before we invaded Iraq.

Fallacy: Suppressed Evidence. The terrorists are there now because we invaded Iraq.

Fallacy: Questionable Cause. The cause of our invasion was not the presence of terrorists.

Fallacy: Unjustifiable Conclusion (or Invalid Inference). The conclusion that we are justified in invading Iraq is not supported by the premises.
    Note: The last time my wife dared to express her views on OptiBoard I received a threat from someone that indicated if she continued to do this, he would go after her.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol

Note: The last time my wife dared to express her views on OptiBoard I received a threat from someone that indicated if she continued to do this, he would go after her.
    Seriously?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Wow, you seem to be having a rather bad day. I would hope thats why someone who's veiws are different then yours can catch such insults. I hope things look up and that you can soon enjoy educated banter with other optical folks on this forum.
    WOW! Do you need a hug?:o Now I don't agree with chm's view of the president or her view on the Iraq war. I feel that we need to be there. He was a threat in the past, showed that he could not be trusted and if given the opportunity would strike us. He terrorizes his own people giving them such perks as poison gas, rape rooms and genocide. He needed to be removed and leaving now would create a power vacuum that would quickly be filled by more fanatics. We lost a friend over there and are proud of what he has accomplished. But Cinders made a good point. So you don't agree with Chip and that makes you feel like you have to make such remarks!! Well ksquared i R sO hapiE u SpeL Goood! Because it seems thats all you can do you did not even contribute anything to this thread other than a personal attack!! I am going to assume that you are having a bad day! I don't think that other wise some one would make such a stupid series of comments!!:angry: :finger:

People like cinders and Chip have every right to express how they feel with out being attacked.
    Last edited by OPTIDONN; 06-30-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

carpe diem

cinders831 writes: Wow, you seem to be having a rather bad day.....
    Thank-you for your concern. Actually, I’m having a very good word of the day. So many words, sadly, so few opportunities. I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to know that I am looking forward to the day when I “too” can enjoy some educated banter.

PS:Optidonn -
    Are you trying to tell me that this call to arms is just another attempt by CHM2023 to start yet another discussion about Bush and the war in Iraq? Oh my…. I thought CHM had started a discussion on philosophy.
    Last edited by ksquared; 06-29-2005 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added a PS

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hmm ksquared you like to read. Try and read past the heading of that thread. Was she asking a general question on philosophy? I did not get that impression.
    I admit that I got a little heated. I get that way some times and I tried to attack you and that was not right. I feel that Chip did make a good point. It sometimes seems that today people who have an active interest in philosophy would rather talk and amuse them selves by the sound of there own voice, they think long term but don't accomplish much. Many leadership roles require people who will act, but they need to act in the right way. I think the days of Alexander the Great and Marcus Aurlious (Can't spell his name), people who were either philosophers or taught by philosophers and capable of leading, are gone. Corporate poster philosophy is now poisoning the mind todays leaders. Now I have to say that the one thing that bugs me are people that will quickly disregard what some one has said because they feel that intellectually it is inferior any person who has a love for knowledge should never be so quick to diregard what someone has said.

Again I must apologize for being a jerk.
    Donn

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Watched Bush's speech last night (almost won the poll, I predicted 5 references to 9-11, there were actually 6. So close!!!) Anyway, I was trying to remember what you call the fallacy of this argument: we invaded Iraq and now there are a lot of terrorists in training terror there, therefore we are justified in our invasion. (The example I remember when learning about this particular sort of fallacious argument was the famous one of the man who kills his parents then asks for mercy as he is an orphan). What is this called????? I HATE this memory erosion stuff!!!
    If you’re a philosopher on the left side of the aisle, I think the answer is ignoratio elenchi - aka the Fallacy of Irrelevant Conclusion or the Fallacy of Irrelevance:

Premise: There are WMD in Iraq.
    Premise: WMD may threaten the US.
    Conclusion: The US is justified in removing terrorists from Iraq.

If you’re a philosopher on the right side of the aisle, the answer is that there is no logical fallacy. He or she might argue that being mistaken about facts, then revising your premises and conclusions based upon those facts, is not a logical fallacy. For example:

Premise: There are WMD in Iraq.
    Premise: WMD may threaten the US.
    Conclusion: The US is justified in removing WMD from Iraq.

Revised premise: There are no WMD in Iraq, but there are terrorists in Iraq.
    Revised premise: Terrorists in Iraq may threaten the US.
    New conclusion: The US is justified in removing terrorists from Iraq.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Far be it for me to remind you that we have 3 categories of fallacies: material fallacy (misstatement of facts), verbal fallacies (improper use of words) and logical fallacies (a mistake in the process of inference). Which of these 3 categories would you like to place your attractive but unreliable piece of reasoning?
    It stands to reason that if she were talking about "reasoning" it would be a logical fallacy.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just want to preface this by stating that I am not a Republican or Democrat, nor a conservative or liberal.

Premise: We invaded Iraq

Premise: Now there are terrorists in Iraq

Implied Premise: We invaded Iraq because of the terrorists there.

Implied Premise: Our invasion of Iraq would be justified if there were terrorists there.

Conclusion: We are justified in invading Iraq.

Fallacy: Suppressed Evidence. The terrorists were not there before we invaded Iraq.

Fallacy: Suppressed Evidence. The terrorists are there now because we invaded Iraq.

Fallacy: Questionable Cause. The cause of our invasion was not the presence of terrorists.

Fallacy: Unjustifiable Conclusion (or Invalid Reference). The conclusion that we are justified in invading Iraq is not supported by the premises.
    Although some may have inferred it, Bush did NOT imply that “[w]e invaded Iraq because of the terrorists there”. Bush made it clear long ago that we were going after WMD in Iraq. (To ignore those previous comments on this subject would be the Fallacy of Exclusion.) Consequently, the false premise here (and in chm2023’s original post) is that Bush’s latest remarks were an attempt to justify the invasion of Iraq, as opposed to justifying the continued presence in Iraq.

[By the way, interesting way to approach the topic!]

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you wish to understand a philosopher, do not ask what he says, but find out what he wants.

Nietzsche

Philosophy is an unusually ingenious attempt to think fallaciously.

Bertrand Russell

Occupation

Thanks to your wife!!! I was thinking of circular reasoning but the time element muddied that. My hat is off to her, philosophy was the single most difficult subject I ever tackled (and as is evident, you can see it didn't take!!)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    This answer from Walt (remember Walt?):

"The Pygmalion Effect (Self fulfilling prophesy), also see "convoulted logic" and "reverse logic".

http://www.accel-team.com/pygmalion/

http://www.accel-team.com/pygmalion/prophecy_01.html

"The concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy can be summarized in these key principles:

- We form certain expectations of people or events
    - We communicate those expectations with various cues
    - People tend to respond to these cues by adjusting their behavior to match them
    - The result is that the original expectation becomes true"
    Don't think this is right: did the US communicate we expected terrorists to start operating in Iraq? Did terrorists respond to our expectations?

See Steve M's wife's remarks, seem in line with the situation.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    I just want to preface this by stating that I am not a Republican or Democrat, nor a conservative or liberal.

Although some may have inferred it, Bush did NOT imply that “[w]e invaded Iraq because of the terrorists there”. Bush made it clear long ago that we were going after WMD in Iraq. (To ignore those previous comments on this subject would be the Fallacy of Exclusion.) Consequently, the false premise here (and in chm2023’s original post) is that Bush’s latest remarks were an attempt to justify the invasion of Iraq, as opposed to justifying the continued presence in Iraq.

[By the way, interesting way to approach the topic!]
    I think you're right, strictly speaking.

But I suggest that the continued references to 9-11 (attacks by terrorists) as implied (retroactive!) rationale for invading Iraq are constantly and deliberately linked by Bush et al rhetorically to our current rationale for continued presence (attacks by terrorists). Why else do about half of Americans believe Saddam was responsible for 9-11??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Since when did a phylosopher contribute anything toward the solution of an immediate problem? A rare few greeks may have contributed something toward future society as a whole, but today they are mostly professional student types who don't want to work for a living. They sit around and pontificate as though they had the answer to the worlds problems. Rarely one of them may actually find a teaching job at a college but basicly they neither spin nor sew and contribute little, occasionally having more importance given to thier words than they are worthy of by virtue of having been professional students.

Look more to the common man for your solutions. GM always showed a profit when it's presidents were promoted from the production ranks. They started loseing when they hired over educated experts.

Chip
    You've participated in some very philosophical conversations, here, Chip. Don't forget - in some circles, Christianity is considered a religious philosophy!
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think you're right, strictly speaking.
    I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult!

But I suggest that the continued references to 9-11 (attacks by terrorists) as implied (retroactive!) rationale for invading Iraq are constantly and deliberately linked by Bush et al rhetorically to our current rationale for continued presence (attacks by terrorists).
    If one perceives Bush's rationale like this...

Premise #1: Terrorists are a threat to the US.
    Premise #2: Terrorists are in Iraq.
    Conclusion: We should removed terrorists from Iraq.

...then the reference to 9/11 is merely to support premise #1.

Why else do about half of Americans believe Saddam was responsible for 9-11??
    If 50% of Americans are unable to decipher the truth by now, should we blame their gullibility or the person who takes advantage of it? Or both?!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    If you wish to understand a philosopher, do not ask what he says, but find out what he wants.

Nietzsche

Philosophy is an unusually ingenious attempt to think fallaciously.

Bertrand Russell
    The philosopher is Nature's pilot. And there you have our difference: to be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer.

George Bernard Shaw

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
    Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out consume
    Schopenhauer and Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel
    There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya