Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: How does same gender marriage hurt you?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy View Post
    My mind is open but only to things that create right behavior! 96% of the population deems it is wrong. Why should we have to accept what only 4% want to jam down our throats!
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. 96% is b-s.

Rather than show your ignorance, I suggest you do some investigating first. The first few links I found:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_marp.htm
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in565918.shtml

The 'jam down our throats' quote is a very telling remark by the way. See post #823.

I prefer to stay married with my wife and continue to promote having babies!
    And how does someone else's private behavior affect that? This issue should have absolutely no affect on you and your marriage - unless of course there are some unresolved issues that are affecting your relationship with your wife.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My salute to DrK, who once again shows his clarity and kindness. I couldn't have said it better.

Personally: same-sex marriages effect me positively by supporting more happy and stable relationships.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I guess where you live it is acceptable to live with an open mind that accepts this type of behavior!!
    Maybe up here in the Northwoods we are different, we just see things like most of the rest of the world.

96% of the population deems it is wrong. Why should we have to accept what only 4% want to jam down our throats!!
    I don't see where you get 96%. Up here it's about 49.5%. And no one is jamming it down anyone's throat. When Diane and I got married it was done very quietly and privately.

It is too bad that the misbehavior of only a few people disrupts society so much!!
    What misbehavior??

Acceptance of being a homesexual is a matter of choice!!!
    HUH ???? That's been proven to be a complete line of BULL----!!

If 96% of the population were to accept this type of open minded living as you say there would be no reproduction and our life as humans would end. Unless cloning is an option!!
    Yes there would, only 10% would want this.

Wonderful !!

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve

I usually don't disagree with your statements, but I think you're coming across harsh and rude. That being said you are right no one here has stated how physically they will be hurt. They have expressed their views based on ones morals. I was raised that homosexualality was wrong. I have come to believe that its is considered a sin. Christ speaks of this in the Gospels. However, sin is a personal issue. I don't care if you're gay..I multiple friends who are and rock on Jaqui(love is love)...I won't judge anyone, its not my job, duty etc...what you do is between you and God(if you believe). Does same sex marriage hurt me? Of course not! I do look at society on the level of historic basis alot. In the end days of Rome and Greece when the moral system of the time was getting looser, both great civilization started to fall(this is fact)...I personally am more considered w/all morals going out the door, instead of 2 people who are committed and love each other getting married. Affairs and divorce are very bad, whether you gay or straight.

I could go on but you need to be open to all views, respect them and not be ugly about someone's answer to a question.

Jaqui, this a dumb question(I'm not orginally from Minnesota), but where exactly is Frostbite Falls? Also congrats...it might be late, but I'm a way big believer in love and marriage...

Christina

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, after reading through this thread, I've come to some conclusions:
    The people who object to this do so for religious reasons, not logical reasons.
    And they think THEIR religion is the only one that matters.Nevermind all the other religions, Christianity is the only one that matters. And I have seen in other forums how you can prove ANYTHING you want by selectively taking quotes from the Bible.

People get taught incorrect things all the time.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    No, I was raised believing that it is wrong to have sex with a man and wrong for a women to have sex with a women. They cannot make babies unless I have been in Kansas too long! I guess where you live it is acceptable to live with an open mind that accepts this type of behavior!

My mind is open but only to things that create right behavior! 96% of the population deems it is wrong. Why should we have to accept what only 4% want to jam down our throats!

It is too bad that the misbehavior of only a few people disrupts society so much!

Acceptance of being a homesexual is a matter of choice! If 96% of the population were to accept this type of open minded living as you say there would be no reproduction and our life as humans would end. Unless cloning is an option!

Very interesting. Our world is becoming over-populated. An estimated 10% of the population is gay. Makes me think that this is possibly a way to control the population.

FYI - I am straight

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    Steve

I usually don't disagree with your statements, but I think you're coming across harsh and rude.
    Good because that's exactly the way I meant it. My son is Gay and I am getting very angry with all the people in this world who look down on him, insult him, and want to deny him the right due to any other Citizen and Human Being. (This is not directed at you. You clearly have a much more understanding attitude.)

And yes -there are some people who even want to exterminate him and anyone that does not meet their 'moral' standards. Of course, I see nothing moral about bigotry, hatred, and the threat to freedom and civil liberties that these people represent. Nor do I feel I have to tolerate it.

I strongly recommend that everyone read American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America by Chris Hedges. There is a very real danger from the extreme Christian Fundamentalists, and their similarity to Islamic Fundamentalists is scary stuff.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Steve. I did read the article. Very informative. So the numbers have changed over the years but as you realize change happens slowly over a long period of time. Back in my grandparents days, they knew nothing about homosexuals or gays. Now 50 years later we have been given a choice to accept these type of people or not. It affects everyone in some way or another. I do not know how many children or grandchildren that you have but I will not accept these changes in our society that may do potential harm to my loved ones. When my little grandson comes home from school with some more unanswered questions that the teachers are afraid to talk about for fear of being fired, then this really concerns me. Grandpa he says to me, " Why was that man kissing another man? I was taught in Sunday school that was wrong!" Our society continues its downward plunge!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. 96% is b-s.

Rather that show your ignorance, I suggest you do some investigating first. The first few links I found:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_marp.htm
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in565918.shtml

The 'jam down our throats' quote is a very telling remark by the way. See post #823.

And how does someone else's private behavior affect that? This issue should have absolutely no affect on you and you marriage - unless of course there are some unresolved issues that are affecting your relationship with your wife.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Because the Government gives benefits to a one-man / one-woman marriage (regardless of their sexual preference;)).

Why does the government have to get involved in prohibiting the marriage of two people who want to get married?
    These benefits cost ALL and any taxpayer on this MB. There is one answer.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More power to you and yours! I have a nephew who is gay and he only cares about his community. Unfortunately, they have fewer persons now as many have contacted the AIDS virus and have passed on from this crazy world that we live in to a better place! They loved each other very much but lived only a few years. They died happily! Yes it is too bad many of us are unkind and uncaring for people who have the right to do as they want! We all share in this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Maybe up here in the Northwoods we are different, we just see things like most of the rest of the world.

I don't see where you get 96%. Up here it's about 49.5%. And no one is jamming it down anyone's throat. When Diane and I got married it was done very quietly and privately.

What misbehavior??

HUH ???? That's been proven to be a complete line of BULL----!!

Yes there would, only 10% would want this.

Wonderful !!

Occupation
    90 years ago women were not allowed to vote in this country. Less than 200 years ago people were allowed to own other people. Do you believe that was 'moral'? If you do, then that really is all we need to know about you.

If not, than on what do you base you belief that your morality is superior to the people that justified slavey in the past? Remember that many people claim their source of morality is the Bible, Koran etc. Those things all existed in the recent past and were, in fact, used to justify slavery and the subjugation of woman as being inferior and subservient to men. How can that be, unless there is an evolving sense of what is moral and what is not?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I support gay men! The more of them there are , the more straight women are left for ME!

Chip

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes Steve your point is well taken. In my opinion owning slaves was immoral. Thank God for the Quakers who helped many gain their freedom!

In our study of history, the fall of the Roman Empire morality as they knew it led to their fall. Perhaps man has improved his past and in the future may as you say become more evolved! The question of morality exists in the mind of each individual. In the place where you live what you believe to be moral may not be the same belief as a person living in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    90 years ago women were not allowed to vote in this country. Less than 200 years ago people were allowed to own other people. Do you believe that was 'moral'? If you do, then that really is all we need to know about you.

If not, than on what do you base you belief that your morality is superior to the people that justified slavey in the past? Remember that many people claim their source of morality is the Bible, Koran etc. Those things all existed in the recent past and were, in fact, used to justify slavery and the subjugation of woman as being inferior and subservient to men. How can that be, unless there is an evolving sense of what is moral and what is not?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone notice that owning slaves never has a moral judgement passed on it in the Bible?
    Some things are specificly pointed out and named as sins, amoung them are not:
    Drinking
    Slavery
    Tobacco
    Quite a few social faux paux(s)

Do you know what Christ said was the greatest sin of all?

"Gossip"

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you saying that if the Bible says it's ok...it's ok?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe in the eyes of God. However I do not presume to know the mind of God.
    I do think if society says genocide (abortion), homosexuality, and similar laws and conventions are O.K. this does not make it OK in the eyes of God.
    If society says smoking is a sin, drinking in moderation is a sin, or whatever is a sin, and God (or the Bible) has not at least alluded to it's being a sin, it may not be a sin in the eyes of God.
    Other than the passage of the good Smaratin, I don't get the message that discrimination is a sin. There are several passages that might even indicate quite the opposite. (Yes, Judy this is your que to get irrate.)
    And yes, I do feel that God's laws as laid out in the Bible supercede the laws of men.

Chip

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Acceptance of being a homesexual is a matter of choice!
    So you really think these people suddenly woke up one day and decided they wanted to be attracted to their same sex? They purposely chose to risk everthing they had and possibly be ostracized by family and friends, potentially lose their job, risk being beaten up by total strangers? For what?

Back in my grandparents days, they knew nothing about homosexuals or gays
    That's not true. It was just waaaaay more secretive.

I do not know how many children or grandchildren that you have but I will not accept these changes in our society that may do potential harm to my loved ones.
    HOW can these changes do harm? Can you site some examples?

Next they will want to legalize marrying a dog and a man
    Helluva jump from marrying people to marrying an animal. Especially since dog. cats, etc are still considered property.

I have had many high school chums die of the aids virus in their 40's
    And now one of the fasteast growing segments of the population in terms of HIV diagnoses is straight women. Getting it from their husbands.

I have yet to hear, either here or from "friends", a single legit reason for keeping gays from marrying. One person I know got close and said they didn't want them called marriages because they didn't take place in a church. I then reminded this person that their marriage (to a member of the opposite sex) took place in a courtroom and mine in a Vegas stripmall. So we too shouldn't be allowed to call our marriages marriages.

And for any close minded person...THERE IS NO GAY AGENDA! They don't want to make your kids gay, they don't all want to fornicate in the streets and they aren't out to ruin the "moral fabric" of America.

Let them marry, let them find out that being tied to one person can be a tough job.I know my state currently has a $2 billion deficit and could probably use the additional revenue that the cost of marriage licenses could help cover. Think of the increase to the economy! The money influx from an increase in weddings, gift giving, honeymoons, this could be a very good thing.

I don't think anyone wants to force the churches to marry people they don't want to. Those that do, will, those that don't won't. What these couples want is the same rights afforded to use stright married folks. The right to be with our spouse at the hospital, the right to help make choices about spousal care, the list goes on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I support gay men! The more of them there are , the more straight women are left for ME!

Oh goodness....Hey Jacqui! Can I join your team? :D Are there any sign up bonuses? Free toasters? Sensible shoes?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sure, hop in, the water is fine.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as some of us are talking Christianity...

How do you think Jesus would view homosexuals? Is not AIDs the leporasy of today? He showed compassion to all, (except for that fig tree he toasted) and chose the tax collectors, thieves, and other outcasts of society to spend his time with. He said that he was not here to judge, but to serve. We should follow that example.

How does same sex marriage affect my life? Sure, I have to pay benefits if it is a recognized union, however, I would have to if they were married to opposites as well. Otherwise, the employees that I have that are gay are better parents than some of the straight employees I have, and they have opened my eyes to their world. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but they are adults, and have all the same information I have, and they've made a choice.

What I don't like it radicalism, I don't like "in your face" homosexuality, Catholisism, Islam, environmentalism, conservatism, or liberalism. I consider myself a staunch conservative, which means that I have a conservative lifestyle and espouse to more traditional values. It doesn't mean that I preach my lifestyle to my employees, or stand on street corners with a megaphone shouting/spouting my beliefs. They are my beliefs and if others don't share them, that's fine with me.

I have a problem with radical gays that have parades on the day I choose to take my son to a baseball game, and we have to cut down back alleys so that I can avoid having my ten year old exposed to men on stilts, wearing rainbow wigs and g-strings, and sex "toys" hung around their neck, asking the community to accept their lifestyle. I should be allowed certain freedoms as well, and that should include the freedom to walk the public streets without fear of being exposed to public displays of lewdness.

I think it's funny when someone says, "They're gay? I never knew that!" Well why should we know, and why should we care?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... It affects everyone in some way or another....
    How?
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    These benefits cost ALL and any taxpayer on this MB. There is one answer.
    Take the benefits away from multi-gender marriages, too?
    ...The question of morality exists in the mind of each individual. ...
    Then please keep it your to yourself, the way proponents of same-gender marriage do. No one is forcing you to marry someone of the same gender, or prohibitting you from marrying someone of the opposite gender, are they?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    ...and we have to cut down back alleys so that I can avoid having my ten year old exposed to men on stilts, wearing rainbow wigs and g-strings, and sex "toys" hung around their neck,...
    I agree with this. The same goes for more traditional, "heterosexual" events like Mardi Gras and Fantasy Fest.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I agree with this. The same goes for more traditional, "heterosexual" events like Mardi Gras and Fantasy Fest.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of PDAs (public displays of affection) be it straight or gay.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with that as well, but people at those events expect to see stuff like that. I'm talking about going to a ball game on a Saturday afternoon, and having to avoid it on a public steet.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So gay people have all the answers! Yes it has been hidden perhaps for many centuries that people have an inclination to be this way. I just would rather it continue that way, hidden! Must make you proud to want the world to know the truth! Why all of a sudden has this changed?

How does it hurt you not to be normal? How do people that are gay hurt me? Morally, to me, God did not plan the human race this way! It is abnormal behavior!

Abortion also is not normal. God planned for a man and women to conceive a baby. Not to kill it because it was not wanted. In the Bible show me where God planned for people of the same sex to be this way. Convince me!

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    So you really think these people suddenly woke up one day and decided they wanted to be attracted to their same sex? They purposely chose to risk everthing they had and possibly be ostracized by family and friends, potentially lose their job, risk being beaten up by total strangers? For what?

That's not true. It was just waaaaay more secretive.

HOW can these changes do harm? Can you site some examples?

Helluva jump from marrying people to marrying an animal. Especially since dog. cats, etc are still considered property.

And now one of the fasteast growing segments of the population in terms of HIV diagnoses is straight women. Getting it from their husbands.

I have yet to hear, either here or from "friends", a single legit reason for keeping gays from marrying. One person I know got close and said they didn't want them called marriages because they didn't take place in a church. I then reminded this person that their marriage (to a member of the opposite sex) took place in a courtroom and mine in a Vegas stripmall. So we too shouldn't be allowed to call our marriages marriages.

And for any close minded person...THERE IS NO GAY AGENDA! They don't want to make your kids gay, they don't all want to fornicate in the streets and they aren't out to ruin the "moral fabric" of America.

Let them marry, let them find out that being tied to one person can be a tough job.I know my state currently has a $2 billion deficit and could probably use the additional revenue that the cost of marriage licenses could help cover. Think of the increase to the economy! The money influx from an increase in weddings, gift giving, honeymoons, this could be a very good thing.

I don't think anyone wants to force the churches to marry people they don't want to. Those that do, will, those that don't won't. What these couples want is the same rights afforded to use stright married folks. The right to be with our spouse at the hospital, the right to help make choices about spousal care, the list goes on.

Thread Information