Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VisionWorks or LensCrafters?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper VisionWorks or LensCrafters?

I have been working with VisionWorks for about 6 months and have had an okay time there, but I don't feel myself growing at all, and some of my co-workers are a real pain. I recently had a job offer from LensCrafters, but I don't know much about how they run. If anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!

- Feel like I may get a better opportunity with the cross-training at LC.
    Last edited by Kscantron; 04-14-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    ME.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Evil lenscrafters by a mile.

They offer excellent brainwashing err.. training for growth.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First off, welcome to optiboard Kscantron. Second, as your identity says optical retail, I can assume that you are not licensed in NC? My thought is, do you intend to make this a career? If you do, you need to definately go where the proper training is, but I'm not sure that any of the chains really gear towards this, but I could be wrong, and usually am.

What exactly do they cross train you to do? Are these things they train you in valid towards a NC license? Are they going to help push you towards a license, or away because it will cost them more?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Kscranton,
    I worked for the Evil Empire for two years. It was painful, miserable and psychotic (sell more A/R! Wait, Stop! Don't sell A/R because its a Special Order, Sell more A/R but don't actually order A/R!) but I learned a ton, especially working in the lab and doing repairs for 8 hours a day.

If you can handle the mental physcosis it will be a great year to learn (and learn what NOT to do) then go into private practice.

Sharpstick

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Skip BOTH!!! I worked a Lenscrafters and managed an Eyemasters for a year and a half. Learn what you can get your ABO and get into private practice as quickly as you can. Those places are good to learn at for basic things. But you might actually be appreciated for the work you do in private practice. Good luck.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LC

started my career there and because of the people i worked with, i learned a ton. LC also pushes everyone to get licensed even in a non-license state.

some people make a great career from the chains, i wouldnt say you are appreciated more in private practices, but the money you make is much much more appreciated then at LC.

and any lab expereince you can get is always good, even if you do go private with out a lab

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Training

To really learn, you need to consider some kind of school. Training programs are only as good as the trainer, and often very limiting. If this is truly the career you seek, then do it right. Lenscrafters has a program that will allow you to work and obtain your Opticianry degree online. Ask about that. You will find that most who do not get a well-rounded education do not know what they do not know. The only reference they have is what they were taught, and unfortunately most are woefully under-trained unfortunately. Lenscrafter is moving in the right direction at least. I do not know about VW.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOptical View Post
    LC

started my career there and because of the people i worked with, i learned a ton. LC also pushes everyone to get licensed even in a non-license state.

some people make a great career from the chains, i wouldnt say you are appreciated more in private practices, but the money you make is much much more appreciated then at LC.

and any lab expereince you can get is always good, even if you do go private with out a lab
    It is a great learning curve and is mint for future employers. Performing a 2 or 3 year stint is well worth the aggravation...you will definitely build your CV and prosper in the long run.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    To really learn, you need to consider some kind of school. Training programs are only as good as the trainer, and often very limiting.
    When I was a part of the Luxomonster they actually had good training for new employees. Formal classroom for two weeks, an hour on the every day for a few months, and then I was assigned to follow more experienced Opticians . It was just after the Luxomonster bought them. It was a great base to build off of, but just a base. They didn't get into advanced stuff at all. Just as Willaim said though its limiting so if you jump don't plan on staying long. You'll never ever learn what an Office lens is.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it better to work for McDonald or Burger King the same question? Can one give you something the other doesn't (i.e. training, money, anything tangible.) if not stay where you’re at keep your seniority. Take all of the other advice to hart and learn about the career choice you make.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    NEITHER! :idea:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Program

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    When I was a part of the Luxomonster they actually had good training for new employees. Formal classroom for two weeks, an hour on the every day for a few months, and then I was assigned to follow more experienced Opticians . It was just after the Luxomonster bought them. It was a great base to build off of, but just a base. They didn't get into advanced stuff at all. Just as Willaim said though its limiting so if you jump don't plan on staying long. You'll never ever learn what an Office lens is.

These programs are very limited in what is covered, but better than nothing at all. If we are considered "labor" like some of the chains see us, then fine, but if we are to gain professional status anywhere but in our own minds, then we must do more. That is not meant as a personal affront, because you only know what you were taught/experienced. It must go far beyonf any two-week class. Who is William?

Warren

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper So you will either have to be a corporate employee ....................

Larger corporations in whatever field will push you up the ladder if they discover some talent coming their way.

However they will never let you go over the limit of your competence, and that is an old commercial law.

So you will either have to be a corporate employee and like it, or go into the private industry which works with a lot less red tape.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Kscranton,
    I worked for the Evil Empire for two years. It was painful, miserable and psychotic (sell more A/R! Wait, Stop! Don't sell A/R because its a Special Order, Sell more A/R but don't actually order A/R!) but I learned a ton, especially working in the lab and doing repairs for 8 hours a day.

If you can handle the mental physcosis it will be a great year to learn (and learn what NOT to do) then go into private practice.

Sharpstick
    RUN, don't talk to them. For gods sake don't make eye contact! Bad, Luxottica, Bad!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lookin@You:
    The word is God's Sake. Not with a small g.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Lookin@You:

Chip
    Good point Chip. But Sake is with a small s.:D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm new to the boards but i was reading about Lenscrafters.. I'm a lic optician in Mass and worked for them in a few of their stores by far it is the bigest company so odds are you able to get a job fairly easy. when going in for the interview get as much money as you can because that will be your salary. they don't like to give you raises or will find a way not to give you increases even if you deserve it.. Further more they are a money based company not really looking out for the patient that needs specific eye wear. its the bottom line with them. If your a caring optician then id say this move won't be good for you. They will make the nicest optician mean and hateful. I will never work for them ever again. even if they were the last place hiring. A brief run down.. I got my lic about six years ago.. worked in the optical field another five years pryor. The store manage wanted to use me as a Lic optician without increasing my pay. Hence one of the biggest reason's i'm not their today.
    hope that helps you with your decision, its not to late to step back from that cliff because once you go down that road with LC ... your life as a optician is over.. you will be reduced to a simple sales person.

hideNsneak

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most everyone I know in this business has had their start with LC or Pearle Vision. You will learn the basics very well and if you can get your lic, great- Then get out. You will not really know the business until you are in a private office or chain.

Everyone does something good, even LC- Listen and Learn. If you can apply all the good things you learn to advance- you will go very far in this business.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
    Most everyone I know in this business has had their start with LC or Pearle Vision. You will learn the basics very well and if you can get your lic, great- Then get out. You will not really know the business until you are in a private office or chain.

Everyone does something good, even LC- Listen and Learn. If you can apply all the good things you learn to advance- you will go very far in this business.
    Of course any business will give you some sort of rudimentary training to make you more effective as an employee. Forget the ABO as a measure of your optical knowledge.

My advice... take formal opticianry schooling in any of the various places offered (www.nfos.org). Learn about your craft in a location where all your questions will be appreciated and answered fully, and not be directed only towards the company bottom line.

Sit their final exams and come out a qualified Optician/Contact Lens Fitter. Then find a job where they appreciate you knowledge base. :cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Lookin@You:

Chip
    Thanks for the grammar lesson. Clearly you have difficulty staying on subject, as I have seen your lectures in quite a few threads. I trust that your patients/clients enjoy your condescending attitude. This exchange is the final one for me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: LC

I worked in a very busy LC store for about eight years and started when the place was owned by US Shoe and when Luxottica took over. I've been away for over 13 years but still keep in touch with people there.

When I was working there, LC was an excellent place to train. Their formal training wasn't so great,but the number of people one had deal with -- on both sides of the counter -- forced me to become faster and better than I would have been in a slower-paced setting. I've likened a LC store to a major league baseball team's minor league team.

That said, the politics were awful. One had to be a so-called team player or get hustled out. What do I mean by team player? You had to be willing to accept the junk that came out of the lab or look the other way when a job was clocked out early or you were overruled by the lab manager or (even with NO optical training!!!), the store manager. There were also some of the dumbest store meetings imaginable (I can still remember having to listen to a relaxation tape on which the voice was telling us to "squeeze your buttocks together -- squeeze, squeeze, squeeze -- now relax")

I think it's a good starting place, but don't stay there unless you're ready to sell your soul.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started off with Vision Works when they first openned up there Optical Super Storea with full surface lab in Miami Fla. in 1983, they were owned by Eckerd Drugs back then, I worked for them for two years and learned both surfacing and finishing, It was a great start I even did the stock room, Pulling lenses, then I Moved to Texas, worked with LC for 6 months, the worst, I flew through there trainning manuals and was promised a good raise, I got 5 cents. I was hoping for at least 50 cents back then.

I know that VW isnt owned by Eckerds anymore so I don't know if they are as good as they where when I worked for them, they had a great program and awarded us as we advanced in our training. I agree with my fellow OPti-Boarders who sugest you try to advance you self into private practice with as much trqining as you can get your hands on.

Good Luck to you in what ever you decide, you are always welcomed here. Ginny:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Basically if you like to slam patients and make a lot of money. Then LC is probably your best bet. But if you care about the patients maybe VisionWorks would be better.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It works...anyone have a cigarette???

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I
    There were also some of the dumbest store meetings imaginable (I can still remember having to listen to a relaxation tape on which the voice was telling us to "squeeze your buttocks together -- squeeze, squeeze, squeeze -- now relax")
    Priceless!:p

How'd I miss this back in April?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Looking@you View Post
    Thanks for the grammar lesson. Clearly you have difficulty staying on subject, as I have seen your lectures in quite a few threads. I trust that your patients/clients enjoy your condescending attitude. This exchange is the final one for me.
    You're going to let one person you don't like drive you away from this board? :(

Any board you post on are going to have some people that you don't care for or that get under your skin. You just have to learn to speak your mind or ignore them. But please don't let them chase you away.

Thread Information