Thread: Aspex alternative clip-on Frame

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Aspex alternative clip-on Frame

I've looked through the online catalog for Aspex frames and can not find what I'm looking for. Our clip-on frame selection has dried up a bit due to inactivity.

This patient wants a thin temple, black/grey, full metal frame with no frills. Any flurish at all is too much for this patient. Around 53/17/145.

Anyone have any modern go to selections for clip ons? I believe we had some decent Eddie Bauer (Charmant?) but I don't see them on their website either. And those were plastic and cool, but not what this guy is looking for.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe I spoke too soon.

Aspex EC346 in grey is probably what I'll get. Still appreciate an answer as to some affordable clip-on frames if anyone has ideas.

I knew one office that literally had 80-90% of their frame selection was clip-on frames, but we do not get many people asking about them.

The custom clip-ons from our local labs still seem to be a bit more costly than what our patients want to pay, even before I add my "profit" into the mix.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Flexon has their 600 series clip ons. Maybe three styles, but very streamlined and basic. Too expensive, but hey.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    I've looked through the online catalog for Aspex frames and can not find what I'm looking for. Our clip-on frame selection has dried up a bit due to inactivity.

This patient wants a thin temple, black/grey, full metal frame with no frills. Any flurish at all is too much for this patient. Around 53/17/145.

Anyone have any modern go to selections for clip ons? I believe we had some decent Eddie Bauer (Charmant?) but I don't see them on their website either. And those were plastic and cool, but not what this guy is looking for.
    On the Charmant site, on the home page, to the extreme right is the link to their Eddie and Elle clip-ons. They look like suns, but are pictured with the clip-on.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the quick replies both of you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We kicked all these ready=made options to the curb 15 years ago. Chemistrie has been our go-to system for ages, allows you complete control of lens color, multiple clips for the same frame if desired, readers and sun options, etc etc...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe it was chemistrie that a local lab rep showed us years ago. He showed us the price. For a few weeks after I asked most of my patients if they would pay $X for a custom clip-on for the frames they just purchased.

"Not at that price" was the answer 100% of the time. Not a single taker. That was the price with us making $0 profit.

The ready made options being sold at walmart for $10 really drops out the bottom of these types of items. In theory, they are pretty cool. In reality, those who want clip-ons seem to do their own shopping and get what is "good enough" and don't care if it scratches their lenses or looks silly.

Uilleann, can you share what works with patients other than just being customized with color, shape, etc as you already mentioned?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've honestly never had a patient balk when they realize that they're getting custom clips in the color (or colors if doing multi clip orders) THEY choose. The shape/cutout matches exactly. The base curve matches exactly. They can be fit on literally ANY frame: metal, zyl, grooved, drills, super flat, high base, all of it. They like the "rimless" and virtually weightless feel, as opposed to the heavy metal and plastic framed stock options. They like the option for a reader, and a sun clip for the same base lens. I've sometimes used the phrase they're like Legos for glasses - you can customize the entire system to your liking, and even update just the base lenses with a new Rx in future, while maintaining the magnet placing and clip functionality from an initial job a few years ago.

Here we sell the Suns (mirrored or not) for $150, and the readers for $200. The cost of frames with pre-made clips vs a similar clip usually hold a premium of about $50-$100 retail more for a silimar non clipped frame. So the Chem option is more, but not dramatically so. Particularly when the customization options are understood. Not everyone will go for it, and at the end of the day I'm still a fan of a primary Rx clear, and a quality Rx polar sun as separate and distinct pairs. But for the last three offices I've worked in, when I've brough Chemistrie into the mix, it's been a very helpful option, and always profitable. Not wildly so mind you, but better than the ready made clips are at any rate. Hope that helps a bit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We looked into bringing in Chemistrie back before covid happened and then never did because of all the craziness. Remind me again... since the magnets have to be set and glued into the lens, can you only use certain materials (like Trivex) or can you still use 1.67, 1.74? I'm guessing not poly?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chemistrie works ok for us and I have have found no material limitations.

I will not however put them on a drilled rimless lens as I try to do simple fixes (not common) here and after trimming the bushing it is a bear to compress.

I always emphasize the permanent magnet in the lens so they don't come back saying no one told them it was made that way (???) after a spouse or friend said it looked terrible.

if you bring them back be sure on thin lenses you request 2.0 mm at outer drill holes.

This is now offered in drop-downs with the labs I deal with.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting. I actually have a chemistrie clip in a silhouette. It works well (but I'm not a fan of clips. I prefer separate large suns) the magnets are just below the temporal mount. I think if you use a silhouette tool to compress you should be ok. Not sure if that's what you use or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No material issues whatsoever, [and we do plenty of poly]. No issues at all with drills either. Typically, the lab will countersink the bridge and endpiece mounts if they also know the job will include a Chem clip as well. They look great, and with a good slot made, the fit isn't compromised at all. The Chem system isn't a perfect fit for all offices and patients of course, but we've been very successful with it and most patients really like the customizability of the system.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    We kicked all these ready=made options to the curb 15 years ago. Chemistrie has been our go-to system for ages, allows you complete control of lens color, multiple clips for the same frame if desired, readers and sun options, etc etc...
    This is the way.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information