Thread: Ezfit MEI edger.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ezfit MEI edger.

This could be silly question BUT, how is the frame shape determined with the MEI Ezfit? I've looked at all the videos and I don't see a tracer.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Shape is transmitted via LMS or remote tracing. MEI offers a shape finder, or, the bells and whistles version will have a trace capability in the NBL version.
    We use the EzFitNBL connected via LMS, and recently updated our tracer to the LT1200. The combo is not cheap, but well worth it. I finished a -10.50 -2.25 in WileyX sport frame, step bevel, 8mm decentration, one cut. Fit perfectly.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    hello Lensmanmd

how is the EZFIT working with the LT1200 tracer?? i want to do Remote tracing, so the retail shops will have the LT1200 and send the tracing information to the IZFIT, and then i send the cut lenses direct to the shops, do the shops will have to put them on the frames. that way we save time so the frames dont have to be send to the lab.

but for this to work will have to be one cut and to fit in perfectly every time. What do you think ? can this be posible?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Canche View Post
    hello Lensmanmd

how is the EZFIT working with the LT1200 tracer?? i want to do Remote tracing, so the retail shops will have the LT1200 and send the tracing information to the IZFIT, and then i send the cut lenses direct to the shops, do the shops will have to put them on the frames. that way we save time so the frames dont have to be send to the lab.

but for this to work will have to be one cut and to fit in perfectly every time. What do you think ? can this be posible?
    This is a fabulous combo. The LT1200, once the Z is enabled, is a great complement to the EZfit. For remote tracing, caveat is, of course, calibration and maintenance. Remote tracing does not give you full control of that piece. Communication regarding frame types will also need to be addressed. Is it a T bevel? Is it a step, how much? Grooved in-line or nylon, metal or zyl? Combo frame, false front? All of these are decisions that the operator needs to make when edging for POFs.

We are also considering this as an option, but quite frankly, I am having a difficult time with trusting the calibration and communication pieces.

Food for thought.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    My experience with remote tracing is exactly what Lensmanmd stated. If it was a frame we sold in the past no problem we had the data stored If it was a standard bevel or groove we would use a scanner not a tracer and duplicate the c size it worked extremely well. If It was anything fancy it won’t work.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Maybe am I wrong but Z tilt value is not "ON" by default with all modern 3d tracers? or at least if we trace the frame and not demo/pattern lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    My experience with remote tracing is exactly what Lensmanmd stated. If it was a frame we sold in the past no problem we had the data stored If it was a standard bevel or groove we would use a scanner not a tracer and duplicate the c size it worked extremely well. If It was anything fancy it won’t work.
    So the scanners are better than the tracers or you recommend we have both?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    My experience is that the scanner works correctly every time. The only thing required of the operator is to make sure the lenses that were in the frame fit correctly and to spot the 180line. It also important to realize that special bevels like t bevel should not be done in this manner as you would need more information than just the c size.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    Maybe am I wrong but Z tilt value is not "ON" by default with all modern 3d tracers? or at least if we trace the frame and not demo/pattern lenses.
    My experience is no. Z is disabled by default, at least on the LT1200 and the Dimensions tracers.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Oh thanks Lensmanmd, Now I have to check on my edger, I use 3d bevel auto mode, but now I don't know if this one use only the curvature of the lens or Z tilt also.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    My experience is that the scanner works correctly every time. The only thing required of the operator is to make sure the lenses that were in the frame fit correctly and to spot the 180line. It also important to realize that special bevels like t bevel should not be done in this manner as you would need more information than just the c size.
    what scanner do you use?
    regards

Occupation
    @dima, You may need to enable the Z on both the edgers and the tracer. 7EX needs to be enabled. Santinelli will receive data that the tracer sends w/o extra steps.
    This will help the edgers with better auto placement, but the Z is more for FF calculations.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    We used the Briot.. which ever you choose don’t buy it until you try it for at least a month.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    @dima, You may need to enable the Z on both the edgers and the tracer. 7EX needs to be enabled. Santinelli will receive data that the tracer sends w/o extra steps.
    This will help the edgers with better auto placement, but the Z is more for FF calculations.
    very helpfull thanks

Now I wonder how a "3d tracer" with "Z off" can trace a frame in 3d? I miss something? maybe they "read" the wrap?

When I can I choose use frame instead pattern because I want to send to the edger more info as possible.

Edit: Thinking on it and I believe I understand, (maybe) the difference was 3d trace only measure the curvature of the bevel in the frame, with Z tilt can Measure the real wrap of the frame.
    Last edited by dima; 03-08-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Thread Information