Occupation
    Optometrist

Transitions Ocho

Discuss.

(Has this been discussed, yet?)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    only 1.67, poly and cr39 for now, other materials to follow. I ordered the first one today, sounds good, Transitions doesn't reallu introduce another generation if it isn't a leap forward. I am excited because I am a huge nerd.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    only 1.67, poly and cr39 for now, other materials to follow. I ordered the first one today, sounds good, Transitions doesn't reallu introduce another generation if it isn't a leap forward. I am excited because I am a huge nerd.
    +1. Trans VI is what turned me around on photochromics, and Signature VII was a big improvement as well.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not impressed. Zeiss PhotoFusion, Hoya Sensity and IOT Neochromes react faster, both ways, and are less expensive.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, lensman, but do those actually provide a nice no-line bifocal effect?

Because all my presbyopes ask for "those Transitions".

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Yeah, lensman, but do those actually provide a nice no-line bifocal effect?

Because all my presbyopes ask for "those Transitions".
    HaHa! You wouldn’t believe the number of redos we get exactly for this reason. I didn’t ask for something that changes. Or, I asked for that all in one lens I can’t read out of these. SMHV.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Not impressed. Zeiss PhotoFusion, Hoya Sensity and IOT Neochromes react faster, both ways, and are less expensive.
    And our Conversion photo. Stack em up any day against anything, price and performance. Free samples on request.
    Gotta feed the big dog don'tcha.
    Last edited by Don Gilman; 07-12-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: more info

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I like the reaction time of PhotoFusion, but not the color. Too purple. Ditto for SunSync Elite; very quick to change, weird bluish grey color.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What is this? I assume a US product? Only thing I can find are tango dance moves lol.
    edit: nevermind.. I get it..... i'm stupid. We aren't taught Spanish up here
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-15-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: i'm stupid

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    What is this? I assume a US product? Only thing I can find are tango dance moves lol.
    edit: nevermind.. I get it..... i'm stupid. We aren't taught Spanish up here
    Ha. As a tanguero, I immediately knew what you were referencing. Ha!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems this thread so far has talked circles around the subject I was hoping to learn something about. OCHO

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Seems this thread so far has talked circles around the subject I was hoping to learn something about. OCHO
    They only launched five days ago. I assume when we have some in our hands to play with, we'll have some opinions and observations to share.

The funniest thing about Trans 8 coming out last Wednesday was that it was the same day our office went live with Eyefinity Practice Management, which meant all the time I spent importing Transitions product with the Lens Loader in previous weeks was utterly wasted. I now need to re-import all the T8 product.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    From what I have heard, the only thing that is changing is the time it takes to get clearer. Forgot the actual time, but it is supposed to be faster.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    From what I have heard, the only thing that is changing is the time it takes to get clearer. Forgot the actual time, but it is supposed to be faster.
    Honestly, I feel like that's the only aspect of Transitions that needs to be improved.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was told "up to 6 mins. faster total fade time". And also "clearer" after deactivation. We've gotten several sets in so far. They have every bit of residual tint as 7. The fade time is not appreciably that much faster either. IMHO, a big waste of a launch when I had to go through weeks of B/O's waiting on this version. The biggest difference is the price. ( of course it costs more...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions (and photochromics in general) seems to sadly be a technology that just won't work for the majority. The commercials are far too misleading, and it will never replace the simplicity (and often lower cost) of even the most basic polarized lens. But those that do like it, like it. *shrug* They can keep re-inventing it every few years, and jacking up the price all they like, but it doesn't seem likely it will ever get to a place of real usability for the masses at large. These little tweaks aren't enough. The physical limitations of the tech don't seem to ever really allow it to grow beyond where it is now. And no, the public really doesn't care about a 5% improvement, here, or a 10% faster change rate there. Those amounts are utterly inconsequential. Particularly if they have to pay even more for it. It is what it is, and it seems it will always remain only a small percentage of dispensed lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not expecting a huge difference. I expect that people will still be upset that they aren't "sunglasses" in the car. I also expect that when the weather gets cold out, they will call and complain that their lenses are "so dark they're black." Usually the new releases are minimally better, but not enough to make a difference to the patient. The problem I have with photofusion vs transitions vs lifeRx etc is when you have different family members who wear different lenses and get different photochromic lenses. Mine don't look like his or hers kind of thing. Anyone else run into that?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Transitions (and photochromics in general) seems to sadly be a technology that just won't work for the majority. The commercials are far too misleading, and it will never replace the simplicity (and often lower cost) of even the most basic polarized lens. But those that do like it, like it. *shrug* They can keep re-inventing it every few years, and jacking up the price all they like, but it doesn't seem likely it will ever get to a place of real usability for the masses at large. These little tweaks aren't enough. The physical limitations of the tech don't seem to ever really allow it to grow beyond where it is now. And no, the public really doesn't care about a 5% improvement, here, or a 10% faster change rate there. Those amounts are utterly inconsequential. Particularly if they have to pay even more for it. It is what it is, and it seems it will always remain only a small percentage of dispensed lenses.
    My Transitions sales have never been higher, and I attribute it to being extremely honest with my patients about the benefits and limitations of the technology. It's cool tech, but you can't let your patients believe it's magic. Correspondingly, I dispense a lot of second pair sunglasses as well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I am not expecting a huge difference. I expect that people will still be upset that they aren't "sunglasses" in the car. I also expect that when the weather gets cold out, they will call and complain that their lenses are "so dark they're black." Usually the new releases are minimally better, but not enough to make a difference to the patient.
    As long as I tell my patients what to expect, it isn't a problem.

The problem I have with photofusion vs transitions vs lifeRx etc is when you have different family members who wear different lenses and get different photochromic lenses. Mine don't look like his or hers kind of thing. Anyone else run into that?
    Yes, and that's part of why I try to keep everyone in Transitions brand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    As long as I tell my patients what to expect, it isn't a problem.

I try to keep everyone in Transitions brand.
    I do tell people not to expect them to be sunglasses in the car and it isn't a problem in my office. I just don't think that trans 8 is any different. It still isn't sunglasses in the car, so it's not a major technology changer. I too try to keep everyone in transitions for that reason. I really don't want to get into with patients about the different photochromics.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions lenses are not sunglasses. I have never seen an ad by Transitions claiming to be sunglasses. They are tinted lenses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Transitions lenses are not sunglasses. I have never seen an ad by Transitions claiming to be sunglasses. They are tinted lenses.
    Really awesome of you to show up and clear that up for everyone. Guess that's the end of the thread...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Their TV commercials are veeeeery misleading however, both in terms of final total darkness, but especially relating to fade time. The commercial showing complete darkening (far darker than reality of course) and lightening (completely) in about two seconds is just ridiculous. The minuscule print at the bottom of the screen stating it's a "dramatization" doesn't help to un-mislead the public. It's not a question of dispenser honesty - I think we're all pretty good with that. It's simply that its a technology with far too many limitations and quirks, that doesn't have a place in most people's eyewear needs.

There will always be a certain subset of people who like photochromics sure. But the vast majority want, prefer, (and expect the functionality of) polar suns. Whether that's a dedicated sun pair, or even a custom clip like Chemistrie. Either way, for most, it just ain't Transitions. Never will be. Doesn't matter how many times the Transitions guys try to reinvent the wheel. Splitz? Vantage? New colors? Goofy mirrors?? Generation Signature 847??? Come on. Just seems silly at this point.
    Last edited by Uilleann; 07-19-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Claim is based on tests across materials on gray lenses, being the most popular color, fading back to 70% transmission @ 23°C.

So their claim of "3 minutes faster fade back time" is only to 70% VLT. I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider that actual fade back time if there is still 30% tint left. Certainly not consumers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bring back Splitz!!!!

Thread Information