Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yet ask the public about such semantics, and 99.999% don't know, or care a whiff. A trend only likely to continue as onliners, and chains proliferate. Frankly, most would likely LOL at the vitriol expressed by the "elite" few, and genuinely wonder why some unbdies are so tightly wadded up. Be offended all you like - it won't move the needle of public perception at all. I actually don't care either. *shrug*

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    *Grabs popcorn*
    Popping some now. I prefer mine with a shake of Tajin and chipotle powder.
    A wild and spicy ride. I’m done with this rant, so I’ll enjoy the ride. VA refused my license request. It is what it is, regardless. Their loss. Not like VA requires CEs for renewal.

Annndd. Wait for it…….oops. My popcorn is ready.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    So, you either have a split personality or simply refuse to answer my question. There has NEVER been a residency requirement to sit for the VA exam. There are education and apprenticeship requirements that must be fulfilled. I've been licensed here since 1978 and I was on the HASOPT Board for 2 four-year terms. Residency has never been a stumbling block.

I really don't care what your feelings are about licensure, however I am offended by your desire to paint every licensed optician in VA with the same brush. It's insulting and disingenuous.

I learned many years ago that you cannot make yourself look better or more competent by trying to make someone else look bad or incompetent.
    Sorry. I answered your question. VA denied my application based on my residency. Period.

1900 LDOs in VA. And every single one is 100% qualified? You actually believe that none of them should be re-certified? I beg to differ.

Not all are as qualified as you.
    Let me repeat. I’ve had the pleasure of working alongside highly knowledgeable LDOs. I’ve had the “pleasure” of working alongside questionable LDOs. If you are suggesting that all VA LDOs are the cream of the crop……….forget it. I’m done ranting.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Them just saying to raise it to the minimum is... odd. Like what if it's a teeny b-measurement frame and you raise the seg to a 17 or 18 and then they have to look through the progressive corridor when trying to look at a distance? I'm not immune to making stupid mistakes. A few months back I measured a seg for a trifocal and looked at my ruler and wrote down 11 instead of 16. I just read the ruler wrong I guess? I try to look at my orders again before calling them into the lab and ask myself "Does this make sense?" And just dotting the pupil or lid or what have you on a lens should not be the only consideration when determining a segment height, but honestly, you can study all you want and get all the degrees but you still need common sense and practicality.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=KrystleClear;568338 You can study all you want and get all the degrees but you still need common sense and practicality.[/QUOTE]

We all make mistakes... we're human. If you know what you're doing and the lab calls you out on your mistake (as a good lab will do to save a redo), a good optician will say... "Geesh what did I do? THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT AND SAVING ME A REDO. Let me recheck that and get back to you." and fix it. No one is immune to mistakes, and when my lab catches it, I am always thankful! They not only saved me time and money, but having to deal with an angry patient!!!!! That's where your common sense thing comes in. I have an uncle who is a genius. He is a MD and a lawyer. He's written books on neuroscience. Some days I just listen to the stuff he says and am like are you kidding me? Book smart, but not much else.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Popping some now. I prefer mine with a shake of Tajin and chipotle powder.
    A wild and spicy ride. I’m done with this rant, so I’ll enjoy the ride. VA refused my license request. It is what it is, regardless. Their loss. Not like VA requires CEs for renewal.

Annndd. Wait for it…….oops. My popcorn is ready.
    I'll sit beside ya, but mine will have Old Bay on top. :)

Thread Information