Thread: Favorite tools

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Favorite tools

What is your favorite brand and type of screwdrivers, and why?

Also, should you have to sharpen the blades, and if so what is the correct way to do so?

Thanks!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Also, should you have to sharpen the blades ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrantfate View Post

What is your favorite brand and type of screwdrivers, and why?

Also, should you have to sharpen the blades, and if so what is the correct way to do so?

A screwdriver is a screwdriver. Whatever fits your hand is the best. The blade is semi hardened steel.

I don't even know if sharpening the blades is still done these days. Usually you just change the blades if the handle allows it and your done.

To fix it by yourself is a whole operation. The blade is hardened and slightly brownish which is the right grade and you have to soften the steel before filing it to the right size and thickness.

First remove blade from handle.

You have to heat the blade over a gas flames blueish tip to red hot, and let cool off naturally.

Then you can file it to the proper size and sharpness and finish it properly.

Last step is to harden it again properly. Heat it up to red glow and cool off instantly in cold water or oil. It is now at the maximum hardness. Then sand to a polished surface and slowly reheat again until surface turns to a light brownish color when it has the right hardness for good use.

I am not sure that anybody these days will do that job like we learned to do it in the old days. It is easier to purchase a few finished spare blades for your favorite screwdriver.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    A screwdriver is a screwdriver. Whatever fits your hand is the best. The blade is semi hardened steel.

I don't even know if sharpening the blades is still done these days. Usually you just change the blades if the handle allows it and your done.

To fix it by yourself is a whole operation. The blade is hardened and slightly brownish which is the right grade and you have to soften the steel before filing it to the right size and thickness.

First remove blade from handle.

You have to heat the blade over a gas flames blueish tip to red hot, and let cool off naturally.

Then you can file it to the proper size and sharpness and finish it properly.

Last step is to harden it again properly. Heat it up to red glow and cool off instantly in cold water or oil. It is now at the maximum hardness. Then sand to a polished surface and slowly reheat again until surface turns to a light brownish color when it has the right hardness for good use.

I am not sure that anybody these days will do that job like we learned to do it in the old days. It is easier to purchase a few finished spare blades for your favorite screwdriver.
    Wow thanks for that. I had no idea it required so much work. No wonder all the flatheads i've sharped chipped so fast.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper I had no idea it required so much work............................

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

Wow thanks for that. I had no idea it required so much work. No wonder all the flatheads i've sharped chipped so fast.

That was part of the opticians 3 years apprenticeship back in Switzerland were I grew up.

In all the years I have been on Optiboard I believe this was the first time this issue came up.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got some crap blades from optisource. They are sooo soft and already breaking down after a couple months. I had access to really good ones at a previous job and I just wish I knew what brand they were.

Occupation
    You might check out www.esslinger.com/. They have screwdrivers and a lot of other needful things.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like my weighted screwdrivers from Dynamic. the slight weight makes the force you need to exert much less, my hands hurt less now then they did 3 years ago. I wouldn't work without them.

Thread Information