Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VSP Lab: "Please bear with us"

Occupation
    Optometrist

VSP Lab: "Please bear with us"

"We are experiencing high volume, due to popular demand, so your jobs will be late."

I have an idea, VSP: Don't steer "VSP Choice" jobs to about only four regional labs.

Then contract labs can use their excess capacity, and VSP members will get their jobs on time.

When you consolidate all the jobs into few mega-labs, it only takes a few mishaps or bad local weather to disable a whole lot of work.

Ever heard of diversification of risk? Guess not.

I realize VSP is trying to sell plans for less, and it's competitive in the vision care plan marketplace, but one has to realize that by centralizing something, yes, the efficiency and economy of scale goes up, but there are major risks in doing so, as well.

I think, in the future, we're going to realize this concept, whether it applies to government, business, or information technology: there's a better way than centralizing everything.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    and it's competitive in the vision care plan marketplace, .
    considering that they have taken over medicaid in many states and the whole under 18 part of the ACA, I don't think that staying competitive has anything to do with it, they are becoming the marketplace. Its all about money, if they continue to grow soon it will be only game...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    True, vision care plans have taken the "mantle" or "life-preserver" of administering quasi/governmental vision care. That's a low-paying gig for all of us, and there's always room at the bottom.

I was talking about the "private" vision care market place. I guess some companies are still buyin'.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bottom line: It's their MASSIVE PROFIT at stake, and they will do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING they can to keep AS MUCH OF IT as possible. Patients do not matter. Quality does not matter. Speed does not matter. Providers certainly do not matter.

The ONLY thing that matters to them is how much they can keep in their own bloated coffers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's as simple as that. Exactly.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am cranky enough and we don't even take insurance.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Bottom line: It's their MASSIVE PROFIT at stake, and they will do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING they can to keep AS MUCH OF IT as possible. Patients do not matter. Quality does not matter. Speed does not matter. Providers certainly do not matter.
    Really? Who is they? Keep it? Really? I think they have paid out more each year than any other MC Plan and continue to do so in the way of reimbursements and rewards. What is left goes to fund growth of the companies that in turn go towards private practice....ie...materials that carry a higher reimbursement for those that use them. If it wasn't about quality, they wouldn't be investing so much in their products and production to produce better quality. If it wasn't about providers, our potential for reimbursements wouldn't be going up like they are.

The ONLY thing that matters to them is how much they can keep in their own bloated coffers.
    Again, love to here your thoughts on where these coffers are and who's taking the money home. Not.

"We are experiencing high volume, due to popular demand, so your jobs will be late."
    I got the same notice....hey, at least they are trying to properly set those expectations. I know more than one of our people that are relatively "new" have no clue how busy January can be....everywhere.
    I have an idea, VSP: Don't steer "VSP Choice" jobs to about only four regional labs.
    Why would they do that? That in no way controls costs or lowers prices of said plans. ECP's and patients would earn less and pay more.

Then contract labs can use their excess capacity, and VSP members will get their jobs on time.
    VSP isn't around to fund the contract labs. They are simply service providers. If they have excess capacity, that means they aren't selling enough on their own or they over invested. Besides, why fund Big E who owns the vast majority. You're in Columbus, go see Top/Bell and tell me they are sitting on extra capacity...haha! Not.

When you consolidate all the jobs into few mega-labs, it only takes a few mishaps or bad local weather to disable a whole lot of work.
    Ever heard of diversification of risk? Guess not.
    Based on our levels of work at all of our locations, which VSP is up nearly 35%, I'm sure they are having a banner year.
    I realize VSP is trying to sell plans for less, and it's competitive in the vision care plan marketplace, but one has to realize that by centralizing something, yes, the efficiency and economy of scale goes up, but there are major risks in doing so, as well.
    In the end, the January push is common....at least in our market place. I've been doing this over 30 years and it's been that way for at least the last 15-20. We just set our patients expectation of 7-10 days. It's rare we can't deliver and common that we get them taken care of in less than a week, even in January.

I think, in the future, we're going to realize this concept, whether it applies to government, business, or information technology: there's a better way than centralizing everything.
    I think we'll see them roll out a full uncut program soon. I know it's been delayed as we were on the short list of beta sites to do this. That will be a game changer for us in terms of timing for sure and likely allow them to avoid such hurdles. Just my guess.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, that would be a good step.

Forgot about the January backlog thingy, to be honest.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    VSP isn't around to fund the contract labs. They are simply service providers. If they have excess capacity, that means they aren't selling enough on their own or they over invested.
    Man, that's cold. You know indies have had the rug pulled out from under them by VCPs.

Besides, why fund Big E who owns the vast majority. You're in Columbus, go see Top/Bell and tell me they are sitting on extra capacity...haha! Not.
    Big e
    VSP
    All the same to folks like me

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Man, that's cold. You know indies have had the rug pulled out from under them by VCPs.
    Not cold, just real. Seriously, if the indies have been running their business like VCP's owe them the work, then that's their poor business decisions. Sounds to me like they have forgotten their place which is a supplemental service provider.

Big e , VSP, All the same to folks like me
    only Big E isn't putting patients in your chair or allowing you to make additional dollars on their products. VSP isn't buying up online optical shops either....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, VSP has their own on line site for their members/your patients to purchase little things like contacts and glasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    No, VSP has their own on line site for their members/your patients to purchase little things like contacts and glasses.
    Do you fully understand how their online site works and pays out? Their online site is one of the only ones if not THE only one that pays the correct doctor for purchases made even if the are not directly involved with the purchase. Payouts are based by tracing the Rx to the providing office or to the nearest VSP Provider to the ship to for non Rx items. Contrast that with a patient today that may walk from your office and go to frames direct or the other competitors. Do any of those online sites go out of their way to compensate you in any fashion for a patient of yours that buys from them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big E drives people in by direct advertising Crizal, Varilux, etc. much in the same way Lenscrafters helped to drive polycarbonate sales in the 90's with Feather weight. Big E wins because many OD's simply want a warranty and have been drinking the blue kool-aid so long they can't see past the essilor rep. I personally wont sell Essilor product as I feel it's simply overpriced. Not being a direct VSP provider I really don't have a dog in this fight. Owning a new wholesale lab that was launched at the end of last year I can tell you I have basically given up on OD offices and focus my time on MD and optician practices.

Quality, Service, Price pick two... unless your dealing with VSP, Eyemed or Essilor than just grab your ankles.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Really? Who is they? Keep it? Really? I think they have paid out more each year than any other MC Plan and continue to do so in the way of reimbursements and rewards. What is left goes to fund growth of the companies that in turn go towards private practice....ie...materials that carry a higher reimbursement for those that use them. If it wasn't about quality, they wouldn't be investing so much in their products and production to produce better quality. If it wasn't about providers, our potential for reimbursements wouldn't be going up like they are.

Again, love to here your thoughts on where these coffers are and who's taking the money home. Not.

I got the same notice....hey, at least they are trying to properly set those expectations. I know more than one of our people that are relatively "new" have no clue how busy January can be....everywhere.

Why would they do that? That in no way controls costs or lowers prices of said plans. ECP's and patients would earn less and pay more.

VSP isn't around to fund the contract labs. They are simply service providers. If they have excess capacity, that means they aren't selling enough on their own or they over invested. Besides, why fund Big E who owns the vast majority. You're in Columbus, go see Top/Bell and tell me they are sitting on extra capacity...haha! Not.

Based on our levels of work at all of our locations, which VSP is up nearly 35%, I'm sure they are having a banner year.

In the end, the January push is common....at least in our market place. I've been doing this over 30 years and it's been that way for at least the last 15-20. We just set our patients expectation of 7-10 days. It's rare we can't deliver and common that we get them taken care of in less than a week, even in January.

I think we'll see them roll out a full uncut program soon. I know it's been delayed as we were on the short list of beta sites to do this. That will be a game changer for us in terms of timing for sure and likely allow them to avoid such hurdles. Just my guess.
    We can certainly see who's signing your paycheck. These members seem to have legitimate complaints and are looking for answers. Hint - a proactive, productive response will garner much more support than a one sided defensive one as you have demonstrated.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I feel dirty, now. This thread is a big bummer, and I started it.

Sorry, all of humanity.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So take a hot shower and repeat, "I will never do this again, until the next time"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    W/o 3rd party would marketing and advertising cost go way up? Would the frequency (opportunity for revenue) you see pts drop? Has anyone done a study? Results would be interesting...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    W/o a doubt there is an upside to all this. It's just that they've taken a good/OK thing and run it into the ground. Or at least are sure trying.

It used to be a sales job, like an agent. Now they're not selling for us, they're selling for themselves.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    W/o 3rd party would marketing and advertising cost go way up? Would the frequency (opportunity for revenue) you see pts drop? Has anyone done a study? Results would be interesting...
    A study would require VSP et al to expose their underhanded practices, and profit schemes benefiting only themselves.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    We can certainly see who's signing your paycheck. These members seem to have legitimate complaints and are looking for answers. Hint - a proactive, productive response will garner much more support than a one sided defensive one as you have demonstrated.
    How am I not proactive? I'm confronting the issues from both sides and am willing to discuss counterpoint. Call that defensive but I'm the only one here that's ever openly come out with details on how managed care works.

Now they're not selling for us, they're selling for themselves.
    Better them than the competition that's driving patients to their retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    A study would require VSP et al to expose their underhanded practices, and profit schemes benefiting only themselves.
    Please elaborate on these underhanded practices and profit schemes you speak of. Should be interesting.

Occupation
    How am I not proactive? I'm confronting the issues from both sides and am willing to discuss counterpoint. Call that defensive but I'm the only one here that's ever openly come out with details on how managed care works.
    For starters, come out of the closet and become a PR source to provide validation. And post on facts, not defensive, reactive opinions. When members receive the straight goods from an organization, like it or not they must then either decide they're going to support it or vacate it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    For starters, come out of the closet and become a PR source to provide validation. And post on facts, not defensive, reactive opinions. When members receive the straight goods from an organization, like it or not they must then either decide they're going to support it or vacate it.

Ahhh...the "race to save VSP" replies!!! The best. They can do no wrong!!!

With an approximate 90% post rate only to posts about VSP, and no other contributions!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What will be the terms of this uncut program race? Have you heard rumors or are you just guessing?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320;476884

only Big E isn't putting patients in your chair or [B
    allowing you to make additional dollars[/B] on their products. VSP isn't buying up online optical shops either....
    Yea...they really just said that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Ahhh...the "race to save VSP" replies!!! The best. They can do no wrong!!!

With an approximate 90% post rate only to posts about VSP, and no other contributions!!!

Thread Information