Thread: Hoya's new(old) 3M Safety corporation, version 2.0 for windows...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya's new(old) 3M Safety corporation, version 2.0 for windows...

Is anyone else enjoying the "new" level of service Hoya brought when they bought out 3M? I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to sit on hold for 20 minutes for a rep before (with 3M). And they seem to have achieved never before seen levels of ineptitude when it comes to figuring out warranty issues from old orders. It can't be just us. Is it just us???

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper the "new" level of service Hoya brought when they bought out 3M?.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Is anyone else enjoying the "new" level of service Hoya brought when they bought out 3M? I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to sit on hold for 20 minutes for a rep before (with 3M). And they seem to have achieved never before seen levels of ineptitude when it comes to figuring out warranty issues from old orders. It can't be just us. Is it just us???

HOYA

UPDATEDOct. 13, 2016, with details on acquisition amount.

Hoya Corp. (TYO:7741)said today it inked a deal to buy Performance Optics and its subsidiaries Vision Ease and Daemyung Optical for roughly $476 million.

The ¥48.98 billionacquisition includes Performance Optics’ ophthalmic lens manufacturingbusiness, which includes polycarbonate, photo chromic, polarized and high indexeyeglass lenses, according to Tokyo-based Hoya.

https://www.visionease.com/blog/2017...nce-optics-llc

However I have not been able to find a deal made to purchase the 3m optical facilities besides the one of the intension to do so, back in 2016.
    Maybe it never happened.

http://news.3m.com/press_releases/me...d_acquisitions

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To actually answer your question it has been bad for us too. Hopefully it's working out the kinks. Between Hoya and Davis too much of my time is spent on wait these days.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Interesting feedback. We use a lot of (3M) Hoya Pentax safety frames and we have not had any problems yet. We order our product by email and simply contact our sales rep for any warranty replacements.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    To actually answer your question it has been bad for us too. Hopefully it's working out the kinks. Between Hoya and Davis too much of my time is spent on wait these days.
    THANK you. ;)

It's been an issue we're seeing with increasing frequency. Was just interested to learn if others were seeing it as well on their safety contract work.

Quote Originally Posted by peyes View Post
    Interesting feedback. We use a lot of (3M) Hoya Pentax safety frames and we have not had any problems yet. We order our product by email and simply contact our sales rep for any warranty replacements.
    All of ours is contract work, and is typically faxed in when ordered. It's not been the order process per se, but more the length of time jobs are taking, weird processing issues, and particularly difficulty in getting warranty frame and lens issues resolved correctly or timely. That's all.

Cheers

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh. I understand the problem now. Yes on the contract side the turn around is a bit delayed. We actually make safety glasses for a number of plants so we are purchasing frames primarily although we are the go between for several. I detest depending on them or Davis to apply completed product. If something goes wrong the patient immediately assumes it is your fault.

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’m an onsite optician rep for Hoya. I understand the longer wait times for speaking to someone. I recommend you ask the next time you talk to someone to have them email you directly Incase you have anymore questions. Paul is the best person there to talk to. I’ve not had to call unless it was necessary for over two months now....we deal with all communication by email. Its so nice! Hope it helps ��

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rt020908- maybe you could spill some light on why they HOYA safety division has such weird rules for their Wiley X wrapped frame. We had an issue where they told us the patient RX was out of reach. He had like a +3.00 -1.25. The basically told of anything of a +/- 4 they are able to do. They told me that you just add the two numbers together regardless of sign. When I tried talking to the person on the phone and explaining that it was possible to do that RX in a Wiley X frame, they weren't very helpful. Any reason why they won't process something like that? Thanks in advanced.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will say that I agree Hoya has gotten a bit tighter on wrap/out of range orders. It is true that “total power” meaning sph + cyl= total power will give you the yay or nay of being able to process an order. What I would have done if that was my patient, is gone +2.75 -1.25 for a total power of 4 diopters in that frame, since wrap jobs do better in less plus anyway. I will also like to ad that since the merger, it seems that these new customer service employees are not as familiar with optical nor have an optical background, hence the fact that they tend to stick by the book on policy. Hope this helps��

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless they are digitally thinned with a lenticular Wiley X frames ALWAYS touch the eyelashes/eyes on plus jobs, I could see them being tight on them if they are ​NOT artifically making the ED of the RX portion of the lens smaller, like Wiley does. They just sit so dang close to the eyes. I use to think otherwise, I now realize I was wrong.

That being said - boy howdy am I glad I'm not dealing with 3M, I've been thinking about bringing them in, but all I hear is nightmares nowadays.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rt020908 View Post
    What I would have done if that was my patient, is gone +2.75 -1.25 for a total power of 4 diopters in that frame, since wrap jobs do better in less plus anyway.
    Does Hoya not understand that +2.75 -1.25 totals out to +1.50 at the cross curve, not +4.00????? I'm flabbergasted here. I learned that my first week on my first optical job.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Does Hoya not understand that +2.75 -1.25 totals out to +1.50 at the cross curve, not +4.00????? I'm flabbergasted here. I learned that my first week on my first optical job.
    Another knee slapper from Hoya.

They don't believe in basic algebra apparently.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Another knee slapper from Hoya.

They don't believe in basic algebra apparently.

Total power=Total power, not Refractive power. That’s the basic algebraic equation Hoya uses to determine what can be done in an 8 base wrap frame. Given that the patient called for +3.25-1.25 they would have been fine with less +.50. Knee slapper when you have to refund your patient after not knowing that simple algebraic texhniquie to close the deal is the real knee slapper if you ask me. But hey, what do I know?

Thread Information