Thread: Original style PALs

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Original style PALs

The Different Types Of Vacuum Cleaners: Best 2024 Buying Guide

Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for people to grow a deep resentment for their vacuum cleaner. You may have even experienced it all before: your vacuum’s performance doesn’t meet up with your expectations, it’s too heavy, lacks maneuverability, fills up too quickly, breaks down or gets clogged too easily, so on and so forth.

Those are all signs that you have chosen the wrong type of vacuum to use.

Today’s article will settle the “What is the best vacuum cleaner” question once and for all. Here are all of the popular types of vacuums that you would see on the market.

Useful Link: Best vacuum cleaner brands

By Storage Type

The first is by storage type. In other words, how and where the vacuum would put all of the dirt and debris it picked up.

• Bagged vacuums: These use disposable dust bags to store dirt and debris. Once full, you can detach the bag, throw it away, and replace it with a new one. More hygienic and easier to use, but replacement bags can be pretty expensive.
    • Bagless vacuums: Instead of dust bags, these use an integrated dust cup. When the cup is full, you have to empty it out, wash it, and put the cup back into the vacuum. No expensive replacements needed, but the emptying process is less hygienic and the cup requires labor-intensive cleaning and washing.

By Power Source

Modern top rated vacuums are powered by one of two methods: corded or cordless.

• Corded vacuums: These use a standard power cord to feed electricity to the motor. Though it can provide uninterrupted, consistent power, the cleaning range of the vacuum is limited to the length of the power cord.
    • Cordless vacuums: A battery is used for power in place of a power cord. Cordless vacuums don’t physically constrain you like corded ones do. However, you would still be restricted by the battery life.

By General Design

This is the part that most people are aware of since it’s the most visually striking aspect of any vacuum model. In total, there are five different vacuum designs.

• Upright Vacuums: This type is famed for its high cleaning power and wide cleaning path. This combination makes it especially popular for those who need to clean thick carpets often or deal with large, tough messes. Since it’s the oldest type of vacuum cleaner, to some people, it’s the best vacuum in the world just because of its familiarity. Nonetheless, be advised that uprights are notorious for being bulky and heavy. It’s not uncommon for an upright to weigh north of 20 pounds.
    • Stick Vacuums: A stick vacuum is lighter, slimmer, and more maneuverable than an upright. Notably, modern stick vacuums typically have a 2-in-1 design, allowing you to convert the vacuum from its stick form to handheld quickly and easily. However, the average stick vacuum can produce less raw suction power than its upright counterpart.
    • Canister Vacuums: Canister vacuums are the middle-ground between high-performing uprights and maneuverable, flexible stick vacuums. Most of the components like the motor are packed inside of a wheeled canister, so you don’t have to drag 10 - 15 pounds around the house all the time. They can still be a fair bit bulky, regardless. This type of top 10 vacuum cleaners also has a reputation for being costly to buy and maintain, too.
    • Handheld Vacuums: Handhelds are made to be as small and compact as possible. But keep in mind that its small size equals to a very modest performance level. It’s good for small tasks and quick vacuuming sessions, but may not be good enough for whole-house cleaning.
    • Robot Vacuums: The most recent and modern type. This kind can vacuum the house all by itself, navigating the house using sensors on-board. But it’s not perfect: it can’t clean stairs and can occasionally get stuck inside of corners or underneath furniture. Robot vacuums are also more expensive on average than other kinds of vacuums.

You Might Also Enjoy:

TheKingLive

The Best Canister Vacuum to Buy In 2024: Short Review of the Kenmore 81614

Conclusion

We hope this short guide about the different types of top rated vacuum cleaners has given you the answers you need to make an informed purchase decision!
    Last edited by lauraturner6223; 02-15-2024 at 04:18 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1st question, yes, that’s how traditional PAL (and all lenses were surfaced).

2nd question, it’s all in the software. Watch the video below to see a digital generator cuts a surface (you can skip to the 1:00 minute mark to see it milling/lathing the curve. Welcome to Optiboard.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When the progressive design is on the front and you add the Toric curve on the back the patient is looking thru a combination of both sets of curves. When you get a modern free form design the resultant curves that the patient was looking thru are created as a single surface on the back. End result the patient is looking thru the same series of curves. Fortunately you have the ability to offer many more options in design and customization when you are creating the end product.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lauraturner6223 View Post
    Please confirm my assumption first: original style PALs had their segment on the front side and the back was simply surfaced with a toric and cross curve like a single vision lens.
    True.

Now… from that understanding, if a modern PAL has all of its primary curvature on the backside, then how does cylinder factor in at the reading. Or for that matter, what about cylinders that run directly along the progressive corridor?
    It depends on the orientation of the prescribed astigmatism, but in general it skews or deforms the shape of the progressive optics, and the surface astigmatism surrounding the umbilic, more so for oblique and high cylinder values. Tilt around the vertical and horizontal axes also induces errors. See the third figure in the document link below.

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/the-optics-of-free-form

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lauraturner6223 View Post
    Please confirm my assumption first: original style PALs had their segment on the front side and the back was simply surfaced with a toric and cross curve like a single vision lens.

Now… from that understanding, if a modern PAL has all of its primary curvature on the backside, then how does cylinder factor in at the reading. Or for that matter, what about cylinders that run directly along the progressive corridor?
    Dang!! I have always wondered this myself. It gets even trickier to think about if you consider dual surfaced PALs

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know what's interesting Laura? In my career I have met every single type of person (Opticina, OD, MD, ocularist, lab guy, rep, technician, CEOs), but I have never met or ever heard from somebody that has a degree in, I'm assuming, optical engineering. WHO ARE THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY DESIGN THE LENSES AND WHY DO THEY NEVER COME OUT TO PLAY?!?!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice Pro 9000 View Post
    You know what's interesting Laura? In my career I have met every single type of person (Opticina, OD, MD, ocularist, lab guy, rep, technician, CEOs), but I have never met or ever heard from somebody that has a degree in, I'm assuming, optical engineering. WHO ARE THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY DESIGN THE LENSES AND WHY DO THEY NEVER COME OUT TO PLAY?!?!
    They most certainly DO!
    IOT has shared with us at OpticianWorks on numerous occasions and their people wrote the book Modern Ophthalmic Optics a few years ago.
    They have been very open in sharing access all the way to their top level engineers, mathematicians, physics and doctors.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    They most certainly DO!
    IOT has shared with us at OpticianWorks on numerous occasions and their people wrote the book Modern Ophthalmic Optics a few years ago.
    They have been very open in sharing access all the way to their top level engineers, mathematicians, physics and doctors.
    Thank you John.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you John.
    Thou art welcome.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WHO ARE THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY DESIGN THE LENSES AND WHY DO THEY NEVER COME OUT TO PLAY?!?!
    I think they are busy and as corporate employees would find our sandbox difficult to "play" in, as cats often briefly visit.

That said try visiting the Hall of Fame thread and read everything by the late Titan of Zeiss Optics Darryl Meister. Be prepared for your head to explode with some of the advanced discussions.

Meow

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I think they are busy and as corporate employees would find our sandbox difficult to "play" in, as cats often briefly visit.

That said try visiting the Hall of Fame thread and read everything by the late Titan of Zeiss Optics Darryl Meister. Be prepared for your head to explode with some of the advanced discussions.

Meow
    Damn - Ya said a mouthful there.
    Ain't that the truth.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I miss him. I learned so much from him. He was so smart and never looked down at anyone and was just happy to help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He worked just down 95 from the school in Richmond. We would go down with each class and visit the Zeiss factory. They used to roll out the red carpet for us. I think I met him once or twice in passing. I have certainly used some of his material for the videos. Yep - I'd certainly place him firmly in the genius department. Or certainly a genius at making very complex concepts a little easier to understand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    Or certainly a genius at making very complex concepts a little easier to understand.
    Yes! He was always willing to help and explained things in a way we normal people could understand it. I like to think I'm smart...but people like that make me feel dumb as a box of rocks! Genius. Definitely.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As John said IOT is by far the most forthcoming with their lens design. You can get actual information from them about the lens design other than the marketing fluff. But at a certain point your eyes are going to glaze over with the math. Just looking at something rather simple like tilting a lens involves quite high level mathematics. If you have the knowledge, time, and inclination the material is out there. Even the book John mentioned Modern Ophthalmic Optics, which I own is rather dense for a dispensing optician.

Thread Information