Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing work for FREE ??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Doing work for FREE ??

I do a lot of Little things for free. Like Adjustments, nosepads, occasional re-edges, when I believe it will not be taken for granted & it may lead to good future clients.

But what's up with this do so many things for free mentality? We are in business & we work to earn a living, don't we?

Yes, Like I mentioned, I do little things for free often. Years ago, I met a homeless/bag lady who had saved $ forever to get those huge, drill mount faceted glasses. I was outraged when the place down the street was going to charge her $10/screw to get them back together & she didn't have a penny. She came in with string, wire and bread ties holding them together & I spent an hour helping her & did not charge her. It was work from my heart.

But overall, if it's not a loyal client or a potential future client or a homeless person, yes, I charge, but still not much.

to each his/her own....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some folks does it for free some folks charges for it. It has always been so.
    One could say those that charge for it are not loved.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I do lots of work for free, I love doing it. Some professions require that a certain amount of free (pro bono) work be done to maintain a professional license,

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui:
    You jus doan unnastan how impoatent us is. We got dem little certificationcertifiercates. Some day we gonna have a license. Den we can deside that everythin after the sale is made will not be included in de fee.
    We may even get as impotant and dem OMD's and OD's is what thanks a refraction ain' part 'o an eye exam. Hell jus' cause that's what the patient cauled n scheduled the pointmunt fo' ain't relevant non sum-a-tall.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and the len broke & all da medicine leaked out

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    helping someone out is good advertising. Most people do remember

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I only charge for frame parts. Never for adjustments, never for repairs, never for nose pads, never for temple tips. I even keep spare nose pads and a screwdriver in my car to take care of people's glasses on evenings and weekends. If that nets one new patient per quarter (and it nets more than that), the opportunity cost is more than worth it.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I only charge for frame parts. Never for adjustments, never for repairs, never for nose pads, never for temple tips. I even keep spare nose pads and a screwdriver in my car to take care of people's glasses on evenings and weekends. If that nets one new patient per quarter (and it nets more than that), the opportunity cost is more than worth it.
    +1 But I am thinking of instituting a fee for taking a PD when the patient is not purchasing eyewear. How many people charge, and how much?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    www.practicemanagementdepot.com. Dr. Jacobs has an excel spreadsheet that can help you make that decision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    I do a lot of Little things for free. Like Adjustments, nosepads, occasional re-edges, when I believe it will not be taken for granted & it may lead to good future clients.

But what's up with this do so many things for free mentality? We are in business & we work to earn a living, don't we?
    After working 20 years in a successful career, I decided to go all in to the optical world and invest most of my life savings toward it. Why? dont ask. But I've been working for free ever since. I like it, and it has been rewarding, so I'm not complaining, but, we all work for free, some how, some way, some time. Just gotta balance it out! Plus, I'm sure a pay check will be coming in the next xxxxxx...... years.....

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    After working 20 years in a successful career, I decided to go all in to the optical world and invest most of my life savings toward it. Why? dont ask. But I've been working for free ever since. I like it, and it has been rewarding, so I'm not complaining, but, we all work for free, some how, some way, some time. Just gotta balance it out! Plus, I'm sure a pay check will be coming in the next xxxxxx...... years.....
    You know, that is true. Even those that espouse to charge for everything do their fair share of "free" work. My mantra has always been that I want to choose my charity, I don't want it to choose me.

And yes, it does feel good.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like most that posted we don't charge for adjustments, nose pads, etc: either. I take a little different point of view on it though. I don't consider doing it for free. I consider doing one more extra thing for the patient than what they were expecting. Thus, the patient finds more of a value for services rendered at no additional charge. It's the cheapest way to pick up devoted patients, differentiating us from the others. Give them the best adjustment they ever had at n/c. They will never leave you. That's been our successful paridigm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorjmjb View Post
    +1 But I am thinking of instituting a fee for taking a PD when the patient is not purchasing eyewear. How many people charge, and how much?
    I suggest the 20/20/20 rule. 20 for pd, 20 for adjustment, 20 for us to do a final inspection to see if they were made correct. The amount is up to you tho. maybe 25/25/25 or 10/10/10.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Like most that posted we don't charge for adjustments, nose pads, etc: either. I take a little different point of view on it though. I don't consider doing it for free. I consider doing one more extra thing for the patient than what they were expecting. Thus, the patient finds more of a value for services rendered at no additional charge. It's the cheapest way to pick up devoted patients, differentiating us from the others. Give them the best adjustment they ever had at n/c. They will never leave you. That's been our successful paridigm.
    Total agreement.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you are an OD in Massachusetts, board rules state that the PD is part of the Rx, like the name and address.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by doctorjmjb View Post

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    If you are an OD in Massachusetts, board rules state that the PD is part of the Rx, like the name and address.

Harry

Does it state how it is written?
    Must it be mono or bino?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't charge for adjustments, minor repairs and nose pads...unless we have to special order something. However, today I changed some nosepads and gave the guy a pair of temples from my stash...He needed them badly, wanted to pay me, I said no charge...he leaves and brings back a HUGE box of cupcakes from the cake store down the street! Yes, I do work for food!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she does it for free, it means she loves me.
    If she charges more, it means she's a ______.
    Now what kind of optician are you?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The kind that works for a business, based on production and the creation of goods or services for profit or income by individuals or corporations.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Does it state how it is written?
    Must it be mono or bino?

Her is the one from BC, Original copy

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...o-take-FREE-PD

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If one out of ten customers you did a free repair for comes back to buy glasses, you've made the money back anyway.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Where do you stand in this case ???????????????????????

All the posts are nice and work is for free and good publicity, as has been done by opticians forever all over the world and it always worked fine.

However nobody talks about doing the same for the newly evolved on-line business customers. They will not purchase from you or have allready purchased on line and now need a finishing touch.

Where do you stand in this case ?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-03-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Good point.

In the UK we don't seem to face much competition from the internet, fortunately.

If they said they purchased the glasses online I would charge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I hate the internet customers who pretend they are thinking of buying a pair of glasses from you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    All the posts are nice and work is for free and good publicity, as has been done by opticians forever all over the world and it always worked fine.

However nobody talks about doing the same for the newly evolved on-line business customers. They will not purchase from you or have allready purchased on line and now need a finishing touch.

Where do you stand in this case ?
    Chris:

A broad brush statement like this ignores many of the dilemmic points made throughout this thread. Its really not black and white. In fact, doing "freebies" in the hopes of getting the annuity of a prospective customer's long term business is no different, IMHO, than those businesses, optical or not, that engage in a groupon in the hopes of landing a new client.

B

Thread Information