Thread: Setting optical center heights for high myopia, index 1.74.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Setting optical center heights for high myopia, index 1.74.

gwergrwegrwegrwegrwe
    Last edited by donjuan; 07-08-2022 at 01:55 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1.74 have low abbe value

If you do not center Aspheric lens design through the eyes center of rotation the lens will not "correct" spherical abberation.

the aberration product by an error on aspheric in more strong

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear -11.00 SV myself, and I set my OC at pupil.

The best description I can provide of living as a high myope is like viewing the world through binoculars. Vision is sharp through the OC, but deviating just a few millimeters away from OC causes distortion. A few millimeters more causes LOTS of distortion. The top, bottom, and sides of my lenses simply do not work at all, the distortion is too great. I have practically no peripheral vision. Watch a high myope carefully and you'll see we do a lot of head movement, always pointing our noses at what we want to be in focus. We don't sit still and scan our eyes right-to-left when on the computer.

When OC is at geometric center (typically a few mm below the pupil) I find myself subconsciously tilting my head back, viewing through that OC that isn't aligned with my line of sight.

(To clarify, I have roughly the same experience through 1.67 and 1.74, through stock and through fully digitally surfaced.)

Pro tip 1: Put your high minus patients in small round frames. It saves lots of lens weight, and we didn't have any peripheral vision before anyway.
    Pro tip 2: High minuses see WORLDS better through contacts, much wider field of view and less distortion, which is probably why your Px doesn't like wearing his glasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optimized FF with a PRP 4mm below the fitting point is your best target. Add cosmetic thinning prism up to a point.
    Question why you feel you need 1.74

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm planning to set them to 4mm above the geocenter...”

Please see Invisible Man:

https://www.2020mag.com/article/maki...-invisible-man

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE Watch a high myope carefully and you'll see we do a lot of head movement, always pointing our noses at what we want to be in focus. We don't sit still and scan our eyes right-to-left when on the computer. [/QUOTE]

My wife is a -10.00 (is a Optician also) And I know for a fact she has very little peripheral vision. And I will confess that yes I have taken advantage of that fact if I want to get away with something because I know she cant see me

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    rgegrewrgwergew
    Last edited by donjuan; 07-08-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The best description I can provide of living as a high myope is like viewing the world through binoculars. Vision is sharp through the OC, but deviating just a few millimeters away from OC causes distortion. A few millimeters more causes LOTS of distortion. The top, bottom, and sides of my lenses simply do not work at all, the distortion is too great. I have practically no peripheral vision. Watch a high myope carefully and you'll see we do a lot of head movement, always pointing our noses at what we want to be in focus. We don't sit still and scan our eyes right-to-left when on the computer.

When OC is at geometric center (typically a few mm below the pupil) I find myself subconsciously tilting my head back, viewing through that OC that isn't aligned with my line of sight.

(To clarify, I have roughly the same experience through 1.67 and 1.74, through stock and through fully digitally surfaced.)
    I am a -9.50, and I do not have this experience through many digital lens designs. Unity Via Elite, Zeiss Individual 2, and Varilux X Design, in particular, are miles better for me than any other lens I've worn. That said, I do keep my lens size small for obvious reasons.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information