Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you adjust frames in front of the patient/customer?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you adjust frames in front of the patient/customer?

I am used to doing some adjustments in front of my patients. If I have to heat the frame of course I walk away and some major stuff that might look scary I don't do in front of them. But adjusting nosepads and little things I generally do right there.

I recently got a new job and they don't want any adjustments done in front of the patients. I find it a real pain to have to walk to the back for every tweak of the nosepads, especially since it's quite a walk! He (the manager) said he didn't want adjustments done in front in cause a frame is broken.

How is this done at your place?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I do this: "I am used to doing some adjustments in front of my patients. If I have to heat the frame of course I walk away and some major stuff that might look scary I don't do in front of them. But adjusting nosepads and little things I generally do right there."
    I inspect the frame before doing anything, of course. It's funny, the pt will often say, "well what it is, or I want this done, or some other version of them telling me how to do my job..." and I explain that I do a thorough inspection of the frame before beginning any adjustments. If there's damage, I show them my findings prior to begin any work. If it's possible, I do the work right there. Why get up? Besides, people really seem amazed to watch a re-string in action.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I actually prefer to do all my adjustment in front of the client. Is a way for us to show them our skills.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to take the frame in the back to tighten all screws and do a general alignment of the frame. I then bring my nosepad pliers out with me to do the fine tuning of the pad arms. I've certainly never had any negative feedback from a patient. I might get a comment such as; "you've done this before", to which I joke with them by looking at my watch and say; " I just learned how this morning!"
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bench align when I do inspection on delivery from the lab (because they obviously never do) but everything else is done at the dispensing table. The frame warmer and tools are directly behind so I simply turn around. Nose pad tweaking must be done in front of the patient because I am a perfectionist. Walking away for every tiny tweak would make no sense at all though I might lose a few pounds.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Nose pad tweaking must be done in front of the patient because I am a perfectionist. Walking away for every tiny tweak would make no sense at all though I might lose a few pounds.
    Exactly! And it's taking me twice as long to do a simple dispense or adjustment which won't be a good thing if we are busy.

I can't remember the last time I broke a frame that wasn't badly damaged already.
    Last edited by Happylady; 09-25-2011 at 09:19 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We do the adjustment in front of the patient. If they are buying new lenses; we do a complete adjust of the frame and then take measurements. This will show that the frame can be properly adjusted. I hate to try to adjust a frame once the lenses are done and find that you have to be a magician to adjust it.
    About adjusting used frames, we first inspect it and if it looks ok, we warn the patient that there may be not visible damaged parts that could break while trying to do the adjustment. Any adjustment is done in front of the patient because you should let the patient see that you know what you are doing. I even tell the patient what i am doing so he knows how to determine if the frame is not properly adjusted. (nose pad should sit flat on the skin, no contact of the temple on the side of the head until you reach the ear, frame level, etc.). Patients should be instructed about not properly fit frames so they know when to come back.
    We do not adjust or repair a frame that we did not sell. We do not charge for frame adjustment to our patients.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We have a little workbench in the front of the shop for small repairs and frame adjustment. In the back we have the complete workbench.

I'm used to open workbenches, and I don't mind people watching me work.

Yesterday I had to adjust an acetate frame. Did it in front so the client could see me work. I popped the lenses out to prevent heat damage, you should have seen the look on her face!
    Some people really have no clue what adjusting a frame means ^_^

I've learned inspecting the frame before adjusting it. On one of my first days working as an optician I got a frame from a client that resembled a tennis ball and brought it out back to reallign.
    My boss looked over my shoulder and asked how I was doing happily bending the frame, fine I replied.
    He asked, please be carefull ok. Sure, will do. Then he said, it's a Cartier...
    That learned me to look carefully ^_^

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One word answer: Yes!

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by CalCal View Post
    I actually prefer to do all my adjustment in front of the client. Is a way for us to show them our skills.
    agree with you too, not only show your skills but also prove you are professional.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most minor repairs in front of patient. I agree that it shows that you are a trained professional. For major repairs, I take them to the back in my lab after inspecting them in front of patient with a little light hearted comment about having to do a little minor surgery. They always seem amazed when I come back after the "surgery" with like new eyewear.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a whole lot easier to see the bones behind the ear, the curve of the ear and the nose with the patient there. If something needs tweeking you don't have to make another trip to "the back." Besides if the patient gets too hard to please, you can aways get the temples back to behind the ear while they are still hot!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rather than adjust the temple curvature, we just apply heated irons until the skull and the temples conform. Good for stability, and good for discipline.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we do that in front of customer. I believe all experienced opticians should not be afraid of doing so in front of customers.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do all the time. There's no point in rushing into the back to do something I can do in five seconds right there. I do sometimes lightheartedly say "and DON'T try this at home!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    Rather than adjust the temple curvature, we just apply heated irons until the skull and the temples conform. Good for stability, and good for discipline.
    I prefer a staple gun myself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, I also don't get the "what if the frame is broken?!" line of logic. If you break a frame... it's broken whether you did it at the dispensing table or on the bench! Unless you are lucky enough to have a spare sitting in the back room, ha ha, or to be able to repair it in a minute or two, you're going to have to fess up anyway.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happylady, your employers seem to judging what's "right" based on their own knowledge and skill level. If you're good at what you do why wouldn't you show it off in front of the client?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now a small addenum: If it involves finding the right screw, removing a broken off screw, fixing a compression mount or anything that might be frustrating or time consuming, or make me stab myself with a screwdriver, or even maybe make me cuss a little, I take it to the back. Especially things involving welding and soldering. On these I charge 50% more if I burn myself.

Chip

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Now a small addenum: If it involves finding the right screw, removing a broken off screw, fixing a compression mount or anything that might be frustrating or time consuming, or make me stab myself with a screwdriver, or even maybe make me cuss a little, I take it to the back. Especially things involving welding and soldering. On these I charge 50% more if I burn myself.

Chip
    +1

Also if the frame is really, really gross I take it out back so they can't see me making faces and gagging.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Now a small addenum: On these I charge 50% more if I burn myself.

Chip
    We sometimes add a charge for PIA (Price Index Adjustment) for creepoid customers; now we'll consider adding a charge for POF (Pound Of Flesh). Thanks for the idea, Chip.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    We sometimes add a charge for PIA (Price Index Adjustment) for creepoid customers; now we'll consider adding a charge for POF (Pound Of Flesh). Thanks for the idea, Chip.
    Don't forget to charge for the POS ( Piece of Sh**) frames. One of our dispensers was writing up a customer who was using a gaggy frame and wrote POS on the order. The customer asked what that stood for and he quickly came up with Patient's Own Style. Whew!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CalCal View Post
    +1. I've even been known to bring some more curious patients of all ages into my lab to show them how their lenses are cut. If we want them to respect our skills, we should put them on display!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray O'Brien View Post
    Happylady, your employers seem to judging what's "right" based on their own knowledge and skill level. If you're good at what you do why wouldn't you show it off in front of the client?
    Yes, but now I can't do it because I was told not to. I just got this job a month ago, I don't want to lose it.

Well, I find myself using my fingers (like that looks better then using tools!) to do slight nosepad adjustments and temple adjustments. But I don't dare bring any tools out.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's like an OD taking the phoropter out of the room every time he rotates a lens.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Thread Information