Thread: Random Questions

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Wave Random Questions

Drawing a blank on a few things if anyone is willing to help.

I typically use a fishing line for restrings. What gauge is it again?

The Lindberg syringes, I typically order from a third party. What gauge is it again?

I typically use poly, trivex, 1.67 for grooves. Right now I'm in an office where they use a lot of 1.60 for grooves, I was under the impression that chips easier. Thoughts?

Thanks for helping!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use 30lb mono, should be .50-.55mm diameter depending on manufacturer.

I do tons of Lindberg, never used the syringes. They always seemed like a PITA to me. I'm sure if you ask your Lindberg rep they will send you ton of them at no charge.

Never had any more issues with 1.60 than with 1.67. I won't use poly. Trivex is obviously king for drill and groove mount.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.60 has way more tensile strength than 1.67. Better abbe value too. Definitely trivex for drills, with the appropriate Rx.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, I am a new optician and have a question. I was using the pupilometer to take a persons PD and they were apparently seeing two dots, so what I did was i moved the knob on the pupilometer from the infinite sign to 100, when I did that he said he saw it better and only saw one dot. So what I want to know, is that, is this is correct or should I have just left it on the infinity section and gotten him to focus on one of the dots? Thank you for any information you are able to provide.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I use 30lb mono, should be .50-.55mm diameter depending on manufacturer.

I do tons of Lindberg, never used the syringes. They always seemed like a PITA to me. I'm sure if you ask your Lindberg rep they will send you ton of them at no charge.

Never had any more issues with 1.60 than with 1.67. I won't use poly. Trivex is obviously king for drill and groove mount.

how do you get the glue into the holes?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put a dab of glue on the pin and push the pin into the hole. Just like I would glue anything else together.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    how do you get the glue into the holes?
    Was thinking the same thing myself.

Putting glue on the pin doesn't spread over the lens when inserted? I may have to try this method... glue needles cost a small fortune.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaker View Post
    Was thinking the same thing myself.

Putting glue on the pin doesn't spread over the lens when inserted? I may have to try this method... glue needles cost a small fortune.
    Yes, a minuscule amount of glue might get on the lens. Wipe it off. This isn't rocket surgery here. I use the permanent loctite glue for trivex lenses and the Air Lock glue for high index lenses, sometimes permanent on high index depending on the time table. I do not use the syringes of UV glue and ridiculous lamp.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Yes, a minuscule amount of glue might get on the lens. Wipe it off. This isn't rocket surgery here. I use the permanent loctite glue for trivex lenses and the Air Lock glue for high index lenses, sometimes permanent on high index depending on the time table. I do not use the syringes of UV glue and ridiculous lamp.
    i found perma loctite the messiest to work with. wiping ends up spearing it every where :(. it's also incredibly strong.. what do you do when the px wants to change the lenses or you have to redo them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    i found perma loctite the messiest to work with. wiping ends up spearing it every where :(. it's also incredibly strong.. what do you do when the px wants to change the lenses or you have to redo them?
    I use the Lindberg glue remover if I need the lenses intact. This usually takes overnight so the patient must leave the frame. Or if the patient doesn't care what happens to the lenses, pull them apart with the flat/round snipe. You can heat them a little to loosen the glue if you need to. Also REDO is a 4 letter word around here.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmzj01 View Post
    Hi, I am a new optician and have a question. I was using the pupilometer to take a persons PD and they were apparently seeing two dots, so what I did was i moved the knob on the pupilometer from the infinite sign to 100, when I did that he said he saw it better and only saw one dot. So what I want to know, is that, is this is correct or should I have just left it on the infinity section and gotten him to focus on one of the dots? Thank you for any information you are able to provide.
    Zmzj01, the dial on the pupillometer is used to determine a focal distance and its corresponding PD value. The infinity symbol denotes optical infinity (basically, far distnance beyond 6m), when there's no pupillary convergence so the PD measurement will be at its widest point. Since a patient's pupils converge when they focus on something at a closer focal length, you'll notice that the PD measurement will become a little narrower. If you turn the dial down to 40 (this denotes a focal distance in cm, so ~16 inches for near work) and measure that same patient, you'll see a lower PD value.

Note that for most orders, you'll always want to keep the value at infinity for all far PD values of PALs, multifocals and/or SV distance orders. Basically, that dial should match the focal distance being requested.

30/40 (11"-16")= Near
    65/100 (26"-40") = Intermediate

Also of note, some lens designs automatically optimize PD convergence based on the distance PDs taken. For example, if I ordered an office lens (like a Shamir Computer) for a patient, the lab will take the far PDs (let's say 31.5/31.5) and convert them to an intermediate PD (something like 30.5/30.5) based on the lens' respective algorithm. It wouldn't hurt to ask the lab that you work with to ask if they optimize or make these conversions for you on certain designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an OD who has had a few patients that have experienced headaches, eye pulling and dizziness. Different types of lenses (prog, FT). She feels it must be Trivex because the Rx has been verified as well as the measurements. They only thing is that they are all in Trivex and their old lenses were Polycarbonate. She now believes that it is the Trivex that is causing this. I do not agree. Bear in mind that we do a TON of Trivex work and we are discussing 3 patients that have all come in recently. One patient has had various glasses made at other offices and has stated that she has had problems with all of them. She states that she has heard chatter among ODs that says Trivex is not a good material for clarity and wants me to verify this with other opticians. Anyone having problems with this?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "She states that she has heard chatter among ODs that says Trivex is not a good material for clarity and wants me to verify this with other opticians. Anyone having problems with this?"

I personally haven't had any problems over the years with Trivex causing these symptoms and my doc hasn't mentioned hearing anything either. He recommends Trivex a lot.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I have an OD who has had a few patients that have experienced headaches, eye pulling and dizziness. Different types of lenses (prog, FT). She feels it must be Trivex because the Rx has been verified as well as the measurements. They only thing is that they are all in Trivex and their old lenses were Polycarbonate. She now believes that it is the Trivex that is causing this. I do not agree. Bear in mind that we do a TON of Trivex work and we are discussing 3 patients that have all come in recently. One patient has had various glasses made at other offices and has stated that she has had problems with all of them. She states that she has heard chatter among ODs that says Trivex is not a good material for clarity and wants me to verify this with other opticians. Anyone having problems with this?

Sounds like the OD that used to send patents back to me for "Dr changes" to conventional PALs "because some people, including herself, can't tolerate digital progressives". smh. I do tons and tons of trivex work, never encountered an issue.
    Last edited by Kwill212; 04-11-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do a ton of Trivex too, but these three people had problems and the only thing in common with them is Trivex, so it must be the material. I told her I called the owner of our lab to gather more information for her she said he must have heard people having problems with Trivex when he went to meetings and continuing education classes. Actually he said he does thousands of Trivex lenses and doesn't have any problems. I think it is reaching because these 3 people can't be satisfied.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would assume that these were surfacing anomalies. Perhaps the lab made them a bit thin, creating aberrations, and/or the lens warped during the hard coat process.
    Like others stated, Trivex has not been an issue with us, either, so processing, not material is in question.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    We do a ton of Trivex too, but these three people had problems and the only thing in common with them is Trivex, so it must be the material. I told her I called the owner of our lab to gather more information for her she said he must have heard people having problems with Trivex when he went to meetings and continuing education classes. Actually he said he does thousands of Trivex lenses and doesn't have any problems. I think it is reaching because these 3 people can't be satisfied.
    what steps have you attempted to troubleshoot? how is the adjustment of the glasses compared to the old one? Are the PD's different? Was the Rx different?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These are all patients who have had problems with past glasses (several past glasses). Rx not much different. One pt had only a +0.25 change in one eye. She wasn't happy with the old pair either. (or the past 9 pair) She's been in poly and trivex. She does have a retina issue and I believe that is the problem. I believe she is expecting 20/20 but is getting 20/30. The second patient has several pairs of glasses that she was not happy with. The old ones are all poly. Rx is now within 0.25 and she is now in trivex. Both of these patients have had several remakes, including base curve changes and nothing made it better. MANY adjustments have been done. Frame wrap, panto. The third patient is in a progressive and I was just told that the OD believes he "might have a slight eye turn, and being sent to vision therapy...but it might be the Trivex because I'm hearing bad things about Trivex." If each patient only had the one pair, I would say maybe it could be a surfacing issue, but they have each had multiple pair. Patient number one has had 9 pair made just in our office since July and has also gone to 2 other offices that I know of and has not been happy. Again, I suspect it is the retina issues and expectations. The second patient had 1 pair of glasses that she loved, but alas they are lost in Korea never to be seen again. That woman must have pulled out 5-6 pairs of glasses out of her purse that she didn't like. (just the one most recent made here). Pd's have been verified with all patients. Pt number 2 had 1 older pair of glasses with pds off but all the others were good.

Thread Information