Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . . .

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bob:
    I am sure you have noticed that I have been b****** about our "education" and "continueing education" includes non of this. Seems almost all of it is on the latest and greatest progressive, or coating.
    I have been to a lot of courses on catarct surgery, refractive surgery and the like all of which was neat but virtually useless to an optical dispenser.

I will be happy to share what I know and prehaps we could get in touch with those countries and organisations that still teach opticianry and compile a book, bunch of tapes, CD's, DVD's or something to preserve the knowlege.

Sometimes I think we are in the society presented in Rollerball where only a few corporations have all the knowledge and do everything, present it to the "consumer." No libraries, no books, only a liquid insane computer storing knowledge. Everyone else, sells, distributes, and buys period.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm teaching a young lady (17) now how to do the old time things that I do here, real glass lenses (including drilled and notched rimless), Franklin bi's, high power lenses, frame fabrication, ptosis crutches, etc. In this day and age of instant gratification, she seems to be one of the few that will take the time to do things right and will be one of the good ones in a few years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When did you start?

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Remember when we use to have to put a pattern on the edger to edge a lens? And we took a pd with a ruler!
    How about the days when an optician was a trained individual that actually knew how to make and fit a pair of glasses!
    Finnaly something I remember, I started in 1983, I hated generating glass, it was scarry to me then.

:cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let me guess

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We flatter ourselves if we think an online book would become a runaway bestseller or even a successful sit-com! We're OPTICIANS not actors or writers! The producers of say "CHEERS" were not bar owners. I say Go For It!! I suggest a new thread for a new on line Book! One of the chapter's to be titled My Most Embarrassing Moment, but I'd insist on anonymity! Can we do that in this forum? Mine involves many years ago supergluing a frame to a patients----well let's just see what you think:)

To a Patients Eyebrow??? Ouch!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I'm teaching a young lady (17) now how to do the old time things that I do here,
    How is she related?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ok so I'm answering this old thread,

1. I did put a lens through a wall once when I first learned on an old Colburn generator, it was plastic, the store in a mall next to a glass walled gift shop, when I guff up, I do it in style.

2. You know you've been around a while when you stick a screw driver through your index finger and the head stay's there when you pull the dang thing out, your finger is so callused from doing it so many times before and you play guitar. Oh and did I forget to mention that the newbee Girl standing next to me passed out and hit the floor, that was funny, she was ok thank God,

3. And yes I did set a Hi-Index lens on fire once and this guy polishing lenses across from me started screaming like a Girl...

Auh yes the good old day's of the early 1980's.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    We used to heat the plastic Zyl frames over the flames of a bunsen burner yo get them soft before inserting the lenses.

The ols Zyl frame were made from celluiloid and highly flammable and caught fire once in a while and you had to blow out the flames very quickly. Usually there was just some surface damage which could be corrected by sanding, filing and polishing on the buffer.:D
    That was cellulose nitrate, the ORIGINAL zylonite

Occupation
    How is she related?

She's not.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Finnaly something I remember, I started in 1983, I hated generating glass, it was scarry to me then.

:cheers::cheers:
    When I started it was all glass, no one surfaced plastic except in the factories.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    you won't believe I just had one of these repairs this Monday!!! Matter of fact it had red dot screws and took me an hour to locate my ole red dot extrator, and beyond more belief, I even have a couple unused red dot screws laying in the tray. I was thinking the whole time,I wish I had my digital camera with me today so I could take some photos with step by step of this repair.
    Are those the new-fangled Red Dots with the screw slot, or the real ones that needed a Red Dot Wrench?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    you have really been around too long if you can remember the kryptok glass lens being advertised as the first invisible bifocal, well almost invisible
    And for golfers, etc, grinding the front side to make 16mm round segs which were fitted either very low, or only one in the lower temporal corner

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never had to make a frame for a customer or a job interveiw, but I did make a couple for personal use. Used gold filled wire, the only outside parts were nose pads, screws and temple tips. If I can find them, I'll post pics.
    Never had to fabricate an entire frame, but we did lots of ptosis crutches using real gold-fill (!) metal

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Andrew said:You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . .

You can sing along with the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or " You Belong To Me" sung by Jo Stafford or you remember trying to reverse your records to hear the strange sounds or was that the joint you just smoked!
    Or you were at Woodstock and everybody goes Wood what?

Fly the ocean in a silver plane, see the jungle when it's wet with rain, just remember 'til you're home again, you belong to me

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fine Focus:
    You a baby. When you can sing BlueBerry Hill, Ain't that a shame, Earth Angel, and Bop ting a ling. Den you be old.
    Shoot, I can remember when Fats Domino was selling records faster than Elvis Pressley.
    A little later the Coasters had the really cool stuff.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

She's not.
    No offense meant Jaqui. Just felt like the post was from a proud aunt training the niece from a much older sister or brother.:)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-21-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I Remember

When Michael Jackson was normal, or close to it.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Fine Focus:
    You a baby. When you can sing BlueBerry Hill, Ain't that a shame, Earth Angel, and Bop ting a ling. Den you be old.
    Shoot, I can remember when Fats Domino was selling records faster than Elvis Pressley.
    A little later the Coasters had the really cool stuff.

Chip
    I found my thrill, on Blueberry Hill, on Blueberry Hill, where I found you
    The moon stood still, on Blueberry Hill, it lingered until, my dreams came true
    Earth Angel, Earth Angel, will you be mine, my darling dear, love you all the time
    So Chip-how 'bout those chops?

Occupation
    No offense meant Jaqui. Just felt like the post was from a proud aunt training the niece from a much older sister or brother.:)

None taken, Fester.

She's a high school student that just walked into the lab one day and asked for a job. Jobs for high schoolers are very very scarce here, so I gave her a rag and told her to start cleaning. She's up to doing most of the surface work (except write-ups and some blocking) and knows enough finish work to actually help me there. She works 10 - 15 hours a week and gets paid the royal sum of $8.50 per hour. She'll be working full time this summer and hopefully she learn how to do at least most of the more "normal" jobs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You Know You've Been Around Too Long If .....

A welsh 4-drop is not a drink served in europe! :cheers:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    None taken, Fester.

She's a high school student that just walked into the lab one day and asked for a job. Jobs for high schoolers are very very scarce here, so I gave her a rag and told her to start cleaning. She's up to doing most of the surface work (except write-ups and some blocking) and knows enough finish work to actually help me there. She works 10 - 15 hours a week and gets paid the royal sum of $8.50 per hour. She'll be working full time this summer and hopefully she learn how to do at least most of the more "normal" jobs.
    That is so great! Actually learning a career-based skill rather than flipping burgers. Not that there's anything wrong with burger flipping, it's just not something that you can directly build a career off.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    That is so great! Actually learning a career-based skill rather than flipping burgers. Not that there's anything wrong with burger flipping, it's just not something that you can directly build a career off.
    Neigther is ophthalmics :D, wow she's gonna be a real gem if you ever let her go Jaqui. Watch out Darryl youngest master optician on her way.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You know you've been around too long if......

You know you've been around too long if you can remember looking forward to the monthly issue of "Optical Index" which was our first Trade Magazine!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    You know you've been around too long if you can remember looking forward to the monthly issue of "Optical Index" which was our first Trade Magazine!
    Did you save it so the grandkids can sell it on ebay for a gazillion dollars?:)

Question for Chris Ryser- What was the first trade publication you can recall?

Can anyone else recall an even earlier one?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Question for Chris Ryser- What was the first trade publication you can recall?
    It is actually the "Swiss Optician" existing since I could not tell you, but I can recall it as young boy. Father used to read it and when I got into the profession I also read it. It is still published in the three official languages.

There where also 2 German magazines one of them an independent publication which was always more interesting than the optical associations ones.

I also remember the Optical Index.....................

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    None taken, Fester.

This is how I got into optical 6 years ago, and now that I am at costco, I know how to do more tricky repairs and know more about unusual segs and glass lenses than anyone there I am not sure that anyone there has even ever edged a pair of lenses...
    I am proud of the calluses I am building on my fingers, it hardly hurts if I get a frame too hot or poke myself with a screwdriver anymore!

Thread Information