Thread: Male opticians vs female.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Male opticians vs female.

OK dudes, how do you do it?

How can you go out on the optical floor and show the fairer gender your style-oriented frame fashions?

I feel totally wrong doing it. About as confident as if I worked in a bridal shoppe. Yet, I buy all the frames and I really do know frame fashion! I just feel so "masculine" out there trying to do it.

(I rarely do it because I have an optician, but sometimes I have to.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just start by asking if they have a certain style in mind. Start there. If they say yes, you know your inventory and can help from there. You can usually tell by their body language if they like it or not as they're tryin it on. You can also say, " this style has been really popular lately!" and show them certain styles if they didn't have anything in mind. I usually start by asking if they have a metal or plastic preference and go from there. Do you like a little color or do you like a more blend in style? Look at what the patient is wearing. Fun and funky clothes? More conservative styles? Granny style? It's all good. Just offer your opinion, they don't have to take it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optics FIRST. Always.

Fit/Function/Fashion second.

Price third and always last.

The last doesn't matter a whiff if #1 and 2 aren't satisfactorally addressed. As far as the fairer sex, I'd simply suggest no need to pander at all. Let their sense of style help guide their decision as to what styles look and feel best for them. Use your advanced knowledge of optics, and their unique visual needs to help refine and guide final frame selection - not too terribly different from the last steps in refining their refraction in that regard. And verify verify verify fit!

Make sure their nose fits the frame - with zyls this is an absolute dealbreaker. YOU are the expert. Check the standard stuff as far as frame width, and temple lengths/adjustability too. Much of this you can do visually, and at a slight distance if you're watching them try on their whittled down stack of 2 or 3 favorites as well. Again, help them to refine, but ALWAYS discuss benefits you see in the synergy of a given frame style/material/size/fit, with the amazing vision I know you provide them in your exams.

If someone looks really good in a particular frame, remember to compliment them directly and not the glasses...and mean it. "They look like they were made for you!" "I like the way that color fits with your face/hair etc." "This frame really shows you off." Things of that nature. No need to pander or fawn over someone. Think of it like a nice well tailored tux, or perhaps a great fitting evening gown. It's about the person wearing the garment, the color, the fit, but in the end, it all comes back to the person. For my own part, I don't have any mental distinction whatsoever between men/women/kids. Does that help at all?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uilleann View Post
    optics first. Always.

Fit/function/fashion second.

yes!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So nothing different than a guy. Got it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    So nothing different than a guy. Got it.
    Not really. *IF* that's your process for men also of course.

Literally everyone wants to look pretty. Some of us [ALL of you], manage to pull it off far better [than me].

But the process of chosing new eyewear has been coopted by fashin mags, and underweight supermodels in mall stores to sell sex and "allure". This has been a trend in optical since...well, decades and decades. Though it reallt started to take off in the 60's (ish) if memory serves. Ever since then, the art of dispensing has been pushed further away from medicine, and almost entirely into a somewhat disposable "fashion" mindset instead.

With that said, there are always best practices when it comes to dispensing. Optics are the same for dudes and ladies...unless I missed some seriously important courses years ago! There isn't any need for the fitting process to be more or less complex for one gender (or non gender), over any other. K.I.S.S. works so well here.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "How can you go out on the optical floor and show the fairer gender your style-oriented frame fashions?"

I'll ask first what they want their glasses to do.

Rarely do they say high fashion as the office collection is limited.

That said, fashion frames are like a well fitted brassiere that flatters her face.

I'll eyeball the size and shape and then throw a fit on her face.

You'll both know when you've nailed it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-25-2022 at 04:11 PM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And when they say "I want something that makes me look beautiful" just say, "I'm sorry, we have nothing that tops perfection!". After that, it's all gravy, the rest of your life is gravy.

LOL
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Optics FIRST. Always.

Fit/Function/Fashion second.

The last doesn't matter a whiff if #1 and 2 aren't satisfactorally addressed.
    I disagree. I think it depends on your demographic how these 3 are in order. For example I serve a high agriculture population (fruit pickers, farmers, etc). The first thing they always ask me is "does my insurance cover this completely?" obviously I explain the benefits of things that aren't covered. So I have to work with a handicap of finding things that are completely covered and they fit correctly.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK dudes, how do you do it?

How can you go out on the optical floor and show the fairer gender your style-oriented frame fashions?

I feel totally wrong doing it. About as confident as if I worked in a bridal shoppe. Yet, I buy all the frames and I really do know frame fashion! I just feel so "masculine" out there trying to do it.

(I rarely do it because I have an optician, but sometimes I have to.)
    Easy.

You might know “frame fashion,” drk. But that’s a whole different animal than knowing how to eyewear “style” someone.

Think about it.

Barry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am trying to think about it. How do you do it?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    And when they say "I want something that makes me look beautiful" just say, "I'm sorry, we have nothing that tops perfection!". After that, it's all gravy, the rest of your life is gravy.

LOL

Well the South side of Nacagdoces
    Is the baddest part of town

And if you go for a pair
    You better just beware
    Of the man
    Optical-Roy Brown

Now Optical, more than trouble
    You see his p.d.s' 'bout a sixty-four
    All the smalltown ladies call him "Treetop-tician"
    (All the men just call him "Blur")

Well Friday 'bout a week ago
    Roy's frames
    were half-price
    And at the edge of the frame-bar sat-a-girl named Doris
    And ooh that girl looked nice

Well he framed her eyes
    and fawned her
    And the trouble soon began
    Optical-Roy
    he learned a lesson
    'Bout a-messin' with the wife of a jealous man

Well the two men took to fightin'

And when they pulled them from the floor
    Optical-Roy looked like a three-piece rimless
    With a couple of pieces gone

Last edited by drk; 08-26-2022 at 11:15 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I'm a dude and prefer some wilder styles (next pair gonna be THAT Bergh from David Spencer, you'll know the one). I basically treat everyone the same. "Are you looking for something similar to your current glasses, or something different? Do you have color preferences, either for or against?" Then I'll try to hit those up. I also make sure I throw in a "reach" pair (usually color or style), and any of our dogs that even vaguely fit the criteria (cuz you never know! I just got rid of one yesterday doing this). Then I just give honest (but nice) critiques of what I'm looking at. "That one looks a little wide, I think it ages you in an unflattering way, the dark to light gradient gives it a very light look on your face, I like the way the color interacts with your eyes." Stuff like that.

Ultimately, they're just people. What's the worst that happens? They don't like whatever pair you picked. Ok, no prob, they're not hurting MY feelings by saying no, and we learned something about what they DON'T like, which is just as important as what they do

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well the South side of Nacagdoces
    Is the baddest part of town

And if you go for a pair
    You better just beware
    Of the man
    Optical-Roy Brown

Now Optical, more than trouble
    You see his p.ds' 'bout a sixty-four
    All the smalltown ladies call him "Treetop-tician"
    (All the men just call him "Blur")

Well Friday 'bout a week ago
    Roy's frames were half-price
    And at the edge of the frame bar sat-a-girl named Doris
    And ooh that girl looked nice

Well he framed her eyes
    and fawned her
    And the trouble soon began
    Optical-Roy Brown he learned a lesson
    'Bout messin' with the wife of a jealous man

Well the two men took to fightin

And when they pulled them from the floor
    Optical-Roy looked like a three-piece rimless
    With a couple of pieces gone

Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my experience as a woman optician, female patients respond well to male opticians. When I worked with another male optician, people would request him even if they had never been to our office before. I think there is some internalized sexism there where they see a man as more knowledgeable and skilled, but I also think they respect the opinion of the opposite gender too. That's the vibe I get from the male customers I help fit with glasses. They appreciate a woman's opinion because it's a different perspective. People also always mistook him for the doctor, again, just because he was a man.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    Kinda makes me tap my feet but Guys..... Don't give up your day jobs!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I get a kick out of, is folks in pajamas (aka scrubs) trying to sell high fashion/$ glasses. You gotta dress the part, wear fashion to sell fashion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    What I get a kick out of, is folks in pajamas (aka scrubs) trying to sell high fashion/$ glasses. You gotta dress the part, wear fashion to sell fashion.
    Your comment about scrubs made me go back and look at our average $ sale from pre pandemic when we wore dress clothes to now when we wear scrubs. I didn't see any difference between those two times in average $ sale. We don't sell the highest end frames, but Oliver Peoples, and Tom Ford, Gucci, Barton Perreira, Vuarnet Sun, Maui Jim sun etc, aren't exactly cheap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like wearing scrubs is too clinical and sterile feeling for optical. I like being able to dress up or at the least wear business casual. I want people to see my taste in fashion and want me to help them pick a fashionable frame for their prescription.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally , I liked the one place I worked at. It was casual, but nice. We wore chinos or skirt and an office supplied shirt of your choice from Land's end. Some people had button down shirts, some had sweaters, everyone got to choose their own as long as it was in the business catalog and approved by the manager. They all had the company logo it was professional and not stuffy. NO ONE wore lab coats or scrubs. That was considered uncool.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fitting fashionable eyewear in scrubs is actually pretty easy. You can wear scrubs (which I prefer for multiple reasons. More professional for healthcare, waaaaaaay more comfortable. Pockets. Lots of pockets) and still be fashionable. Those are only two pieces that make a wardrobe. And if you can rock scrubs, do it. People will notice things they normally don't. Like your eyewear, jewelry, fashionable kicks. I literally have sneakers ranging from purple and iridescent to multicolored. And a lot of people nowadays are far more casual than dressy because of covid.

And I think it's more of a psychological caretaking feel from the opposite sex. That's true through many professions.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    STRONG OPINIONS INCOMING!!

Honestly, it's just kind of a script for me. Or actually it's more like a decision-tree. I don't know. Anyways here is my go-to method:

1. Get a felt jewelry tray and get about 5-10 pairs that you think will look nice (DO NOT STACK THE GLASSES IN A PILE LIKE THEY ARE GARBAGE.)
    2. Sit your patient down in front of a tray with glasses and a tray without. The empty tray will be for glasses that will go back.
    3. HAND the patient each pair and tell them something about them like "these are lindbergs for Denmark. They are almost 100% titanium"
    4. Comment on how the pair accentuates their features. Does it pull the color out of their eyes? Does it give their face needed contrast?
    5. After all pairs have been tried on and you have a MAYBE tray and a NO WAY tray, it is time for COLOSEUM style! From the MAYBE tray you hand the patient two pairs and have them eliminate one.
    6. What's that?? oh you like both of these pairs a lot? well.... I mean... do you have a computer pair? You don't! well which one would you like to wear on your Zoom calls?

Bing Bang boom they are happy and you have given them a premium experience.

One extra take away: Yes, let them wander around a little bit and bring a few frames to the table. BUT, you must sit them down and start handing them the frames. THIS switches the control over to your side and makes the selection process less random and, frankly, less stupid looking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://invisionmag.com/refined-look...158A5913023C0W

Apparently my office didn't get the memo that you can't sell high end frames in scrubs

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok i love her.

Thread Information