Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3843444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1204

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    I just had a woman ask if we could print the word "ACETATE" across the bottom of her new lenses.
    "Ace Tate, for the designer frames you crave..."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely! Would you like that etched or tattooed? The customer is always right!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My glasses where in the case and they broke (from the middle)!!! We bought them from you 5 years ago and we want them replaced for free.... I know is not a question, but F!!!! me....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had my Cadillacs removed, can you put my new subscription in my old frames I left at home?
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a patient come in saying her frame "Stunk!' what's worse, my assistant manager agreed, not so much after she spent an hour trying to get the "Stank off the specs" SMDH
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wow, this thread is going on for a long while now. The proof there is no end to the stupidity of the customer.
    While I don't work as an optician anymore, I can write a book about silly customers.

Once we had a guy come in who was angry we sold him plastic lenses instead of glass. A discussion ensues and in the end I remove one of the lenses and tap it against the table "see it's glass. Sadly this didn't fly and the guy went mental: "IF ITS GLASS IT WILL BREAK IF I SMASH IT". My collegue, who was watching in amusement, immediately brought the workshop hammer and said; "if it breaks, you buy a new lens. If it doesn't, we will refund the glasses" When the dude agree he smashed the lens. "See, it's glass". The client ended up being a good sport and bought a new lens, as well as a cake for our problems.

On quite a similar note I had a man come in with light scratches in his lenses. If we could buff out the scratches for him. I had to tell him no. He didn't argue, but I could see on his face he didn't believe me.
    The next day he returned, showing me heavily buffed lenses with destroyed coatings.
    "You were right, you can't buff them out. I'd like a new pair of glasses please."
    We had a great laugh afterwards.

Although I don't work as an optician anymore, I'm a Medical Ophthalmic Technician now, there is no end to the stupidity of clients. Or patients in my case.

While doing glaucoma check-ups a lady comes in complaining about her optician. He had made her a pair of new glasses which didn't help her vision at all. Turned out the glasses were three years old and she carried them in her purse. The bad optician didn't instruct her she had to put them on.

Sometimes I joke; the best hospital to run is a hospital without patients. And while it would be true, it also would be a very boring hospital. And I guess this goes for an optician too. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "If I get a blue light filtering lens does that mean I wont see the color blue anymore?" "will my frame look exactly like this one?" "will it have this writing on the lens? do you have any without the writing?" and "why do I see worse when I take my glasses off now?" those are all from this week and it's just barely Tuesday!
    "One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art" - Oscar Wilde

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    "why do I see worse when I take my glasses off now?"
    This one all the time. I have gotten "There's something wrong with my glasses because when I take them off, my vision is blurry." OMG! This one I couldn't help. Out of total frustration to the point I was ready to cry, I suggested she discuss that with the OMD. Sorry, Dr A. So sorry.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    'Why on my previews glasses I couldn't see this marks on the lenses?' Because your previews glasses where single vision lenses and now we have progressive lenses. All the Progressive lenses have this marks! 'No I don't believe you'.....

The other one 'can you make glasses so I can see through the clothes of womens?'.... I gave him an answer that it make him to leave and not to come back.... ( I leave it to your imagination)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the ones that get warranty on their specs, then thinks the warranties start over just because they have a new pair of specs, I mean "sure, we sell lifetime frames and lenses"
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=panos21r;562587]'Why on my previews glasses I couldn't see this marks on the lenses?' Because your previews glasses where single vision lenses and now we have progressive lenses. All the Progressive lenses have this marks! 'No I don't believe you'.....

I have had people argue about the watermarks as well

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "If I get a blue light filtering lens does that mean I wont see the color blue anymore?" I don't see this question as stupid at all. But then again the names I've been called over the years and things I've done can make just being called stupid a compliment!

We have our own "Stupid optician" stories as well.

Like when my wife had a coworker doing a torch solder next to a hot plate full of highly flammable dye neutralizer. Can you guess where this is going? Yup- the pot got knocked over, the torch set it aflame, the fire rolled up the wall, the alarm and sprinklers went off, and they had some spayn'n to do to the local fire department...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    I like the ones that get warranty on their specs, then thinks the warranties start over just because they have a new pair of specs, I mean "sure, we sell lifetime frames and lenses"
    Sorry folks lifetime glasses are no longer being made

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Cat-Eyes;562589]
    Quote Originally Posted by panos21r View Post
    'No I don't believe you'.....
    Last time I had someone say they didn't believe me, I just sat there and said "ok." Patient just stared at me and I let her. I had fully given up. Ok. I'm telling you the truth. You don't have to believe me. I really just don't care. Believe what you want because that's what you're going to do anyway. Why even ask me in the first place?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    "If I get a blue light filtering lens does that mean I wont see the color blue anymore?" I don't see this question as stupid at all. But then again the names I've been called over the years and things I've done can make just being called stupid a compliment!

Like when my wife had a coworker doing a torch solder next to a hot plate full of highly flammable dye neutralizer. Can you guess where this is going? Yup- the pot got knocked over, the torch set it aflame, the fire rolled up the wall, the alarm and sprinklers went off, and they had some spayn'n to do to the local fire department...
    Did they get a citation from the fire department/a fine from OSHA for violating flame safety rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    Sorry folks lifetime glasses are no longer being made
    Yep, any concept of "lifetime" anything died around the same time as every American having a life-annuity style pension.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Lelarep;562597]Did they get a citation from the fire department/a fine from OSHA for violating flame safety rules?

No nothing.

Insurance came in- tossed everything on display into the dumpster out back and sent them a check. I'm told dumpster diving followed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Did they get a citation from the fire department/a fine from OSHA for violating flame safety rules?
    No nothing.

Insurance came in- tossed everything on display into the dumpster out back and sent them a check. I'm told dumpster diving followed.
    Ah, nothing like reinforcing a lack of consequences for poor workplace safety...

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

Sounds like my establishment might be due for a fire... OSHA doesn't even know we exist and the Fire Dept has given up. Literally. They don't even visit anymore because they know the things we get failed for won't change. Fine the owner, we said, but no one wants the paperwork...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [eyeman56]
    If anyone asks us to order a frame to try on that we do not stock that style has to py $15.00 each pair, up to four allowed, for shipping.
    thank G-d that has not happened in years.
    "I've found a frame on line. Will you order it so I can see if it's the right size so I can order the glasses on line?"

Sure! To be safe why don't we order it in different sizes and colors!! We'll even bring them to your house!!![/QUOTE]

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    IDK. A +5/+2.5 FF PAL on a 3 base to fit a flat square frame is up on that list. Requested by an LDO, no less.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    IDK. A +5/+2.5 FF PAL on a 3 base to fit a flat square frame is up on that list. Requested by an LDO, no less.
    See too many of those...
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would agree with the above....but, has anyone noticed many labs putting just about any Rx up to +- 4 diopters into 4 base curve on digital lenses?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I would agree with the above....but, has anyone noticed many labs putting just about any Rx up to +- 4 diopters into 4 base curve on digital lenses?
    Yes

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    We use the flattest front curve possible for better frame fit, as long as the total back curve remains concave, but we will not force a -4 onto a 4BC. Besides, IOT will spit out an error ticket once the back curve exceeds its limit.
    We will, however, provide a 4 base bevel for flatter lenses as needed to fit the frame.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There was a lab tech at a place I worked who was always given the last order of the day to complete, often leading to a disaster. One time, he cut glass lenses in an Optronics edger. Another time, he put plastic lenses into an air hardener. He was able to hold onto his position for a surprisingly long time.

Thread Information