Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You Know You've Been Around Too Long If . . .

CDOT

who gets the crown?

Who is the oldest of the old timers here? my father (who still works with me in finishing) has been at it for 49 years.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow, I've been doing Opticianry since '82 but haven't heard of a ringer on glass? What is it anyway? Thanks BucksCoeye.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by BucksCoeye View Post
    Wow, I've been doing Opticianry since '82 but haven't heard of a ringer on glass? What is it anyway? Thanks BucksCoeye.

Danged kids.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, some of you guys are really old. Though I've been around the biz almost thirty years I never worked much in a surface lab. The practice I work for however employs the OD's dad in the finish lab. He grew up in the business and he is in his sixties now. I am amazed at what he knows and the stories he tells. I love to pick his brain. The only thing I can think of that shows I've been around too long is that the frame styles I remember when I started out are coming back, YUCK!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! Iwas just thinking about restarting this thread last night for all the new members to Optiboard!

I remember using a "glass brush" for stuff stuck on glass lenses. Is this still being used by the industry or was it peculiar to the place I worked?

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How about. . .

rubber balling glass lenses??
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Awards for old hat...............

12-07-2004, 10:57 AM

Above is the start date of thread.................I just hope that anybody with dementia is not going to post the same old hat he or she did 2 years ago.

:D :bbg: :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

time

i,m not the oldest one on the board here in this business, but one of them at 42 years in the business, started in 1964.

remember being in atlanta , georgia when a salesman from corning heard us talking and asked us if we were opticians, upon repyling yes he said he had the first samples of a lens that would turn dark when exposed to sunlight. we went outside and sure enough it turned.

At B@L where i started, we had an old grouchy generator guy named walt, one of us would distract him, while the other one turned up the thickness wheel, and then watch him blow up the lens, nothing like and old shuron 193b, when that thing blew up a lens the whole floor would seem to vibrate.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Can you remember when you never saw a man who needed a hair cut unless he was a drunk from the very backwoods?
    You never saw a man with a beard unless you went up into the most rural areas of mountainous southern states, or visited the Pensylvania Amish?
    When all women wore bras and usually a girdle whether they needed either or not?
    Call me old fashioned...But I am a Southern Girl....Now to quote steel magnolias if I may. "I bet she spent $500 on that dress and didnt have the decency to wear a girdle. I havent left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14." "You were raised RIGHT."

I may only be 22, but I totally agree. :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You know you have been at this a while...

If you remember,
    Block or script press on initials (Uncle Fester.. I need a script Q in gold)
    or
    Press on Zodiac signs

Occupation
    I had a nightmare last night, I dreamt I had to crib glass Execs with cribbing pliers like we used to do.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah yes, the press on zodiac signs, along with the initials, or hobby ones, like the golfer or tennis raquet. That was great when you had an acre of lens to work with. What about edge coating? Put a -800 in a "small" 56 mm frame, with a 1.49 index plastic lens, then paint the lens edge the colour of the frame to "hide" it. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love reading about the trials and tribulations of the old timers. I just recently started doing opticianry about 6 years ago. I'm 26. I kinda fell into it and I'm always reading how things work and there is not a day that goes by in this field that I don't learn something new. I'll be taking my ABO in May and within the next 2 years I'm probably gonna be going to Optometry school... Trade in my hat. Keep posting... I love reading the stories and if I learn a new skill even better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Ah yes, the press on zodiac signs, along with the initials, or hobby ones, like the golfer or tennis raquet. That was great when you had an acre of lens to work with. :D
    Hey Dave, go into the back lab and in the bottom drawer of the tint unit cabinet I think you will find the little brown 'binder' with the pages of these things still there, transplanted from the Tower office. Right about in that same drawer you may even come across the old facet parts box. I think we've kept them knowing that lenses and frames with 'acreage' would return some day.

Oh, and whilst looking for something in that same drawer not long ago I came across a vial with a couple little 'rhinestones', the kind we used to mount into lenses. Well, peoples, Bling is IN!:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not only do I have the little brown binders of letters and signs, I have the box of drill mounted deco "charms".

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You know you've been around a LOOONG time if...

When CR-39 was new you referred to them as "half weights" because plastic held a negative connotation:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

If you recall.....

What an A/o Red Dot is? Anybody? I loved them--and hated them:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I have a re dot extractor here that is so dusty, I'm going to rename it a brown dot extractor.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone remember when: If you were a dealer for B&L ophthalmic lenses and/or several other opthalmic lines you were entitled to buy one camera or one rifle scope at wholesale a year?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Used thousands of them when I was at AO, starting in 1969

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about Aos "grolman fitting system" for measuring progressives. Big monstosity you clamped to a frame, then turned a bunch of screws, then read you mono pd and hights from it. Loved the ao red dot, people would lose the screw, but the sleeve stayed in for years.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    -- you did finishing lay out with a protractor, and thought a projectomarker was a Godsend.

-- you felt that the LEAP pad system was an innovation.

-- you'd rather drill the "semi-rimless" lenses, rather than figure out how to use that new-fangled groover.

-- you remember actual sand or salt in the frame warmer.
    I still have some of my old spring-loaded felt blocking holders and my old layout blocker that could decenter a whole 5mm!
    And we still use salt in our pans!
    And I remember the first time I saw a grooved frame. Someone brought in a frame they had purchased in California. It was a regular bevel mount frame but had about 15m of nylor groove on the temporal side. I think it was an Eastern States frame. We had no groover, so I had to use a slot file to make a groove in the edge. Shortly after that, the Tom & Jerry show (as we called our Logo reps) appeared with groover in hand and the rest is history. I still have patients wanting to get another Epsilon.

Good post,Chris about "shaking out" lens power.
    Say, does anyone know how to get the reticle target centered on an old AO Lensometer Jr? The reticle is centered but the light target is about 1D prism down.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I did that once. I also set a mid-index lens on fire in a generator. That was still better than cleaning up after poly when it came along. Polycarbonate used to plug up the vacuum hole and cause a geiser of coolant to come out of the top of the boot.

The water caused another problem - the slides rusting together even when you kept the generater greased. A coworker took a sledge hammer to it. I don't think any of the modern lathes would survive that.

Heaven forbid you turned the diamond wheel motor on when someone forgot to take the wrench off after changing wheels. I had a wrench fly of the bolt, hit the plate on a hand wheel and put a ding in it then zoom through the ceiling.

I also found out the hard way that the triangle blades from old aluminum lap cutters will pierce rubbermaid garbage cans.

Lastly, acrylic demo lenses apparently catch on fire in chem-ovens. They also mean it when they say don't get water in chem-treaters.
    I can vouch for that!! I dropped a oh-so-slightly damp rack of lenses into the chem hardener once. Took me three steps to reach the sink 30 feet away! Nice combo heat/chemical burn on the side of my thumb.
    Once our generator guy put a lens through the window on the old Coburn and embed it in the ceiling. After that, he was a bit leery of loud noises so of course we would sneak up behind him with an inflated frame package and pop it.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

used a slide rule

You know you have been around to long if you have used a slide rule.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Started in 1995.

Thought time in was determined by how far you could jab a screwdriver into your finger befor you flinch.

Thread Information