Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I released a PD....

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So dramatic. 7+ years we have been dealing with this and we will adapt and conquer in our own way. This is nothing new guys, I believe my office will continue to be successful because our patients genuinely like the way we take care of them.

I'm snowboarding on top of that avalanche, selling Zeiss products while doing so.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patients started asking for PD's here about 19 years ago. My solution; POW measurements only, I do not release any PD's.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecare Pro View Post
    I've been searching for information regarding the liability for Licensed Opticians if we provide PD's and came across this post. (What prompted it was a patient / customer asking for PD and SEG height measurements. They had a frame with them and said the frame they wanted would be similar to the one they were carrying) I've searched the Opticianry Board website and cannot locate specific information. Would you be able to provide assistance and direct me to the regulation? Thank You!
    18 VAC 80-30-170 Accountability of Licensee

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In States Massachusetts, New Mexico and Alaska PD's are required to be given to the patients and it will catch on to other States. My thing is why not just give it to them? Patients can find out on there own there PD's and this would lead to resentment and potential loss of business. It's all about adapting to the times, think about it if you could get the same pair of glasses somewhere else for a lot of cheaper, would you? It's like buying a car, if you could get the same car from another dealer at a significantly lower price, would you? I just give the patient there PD's upon request at no charge and no questions. I have not seen/heard of any optometrist being held accountable for giving out a patient's PD, have you? If you have than please name that case.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in an office where the optical is separate from the doctors. We are down the hall with a different entrance. That being said, we are all under the same umbrella, owned by the same OMD and the ODs are supposed to send their patients over for their glasses. Often they tell them they can just take the Rx to Costco. (another conversation for another day). Office policy is to not hand out PD. They are supposed to stop in at optical and pay a fee. The other day our OD write a PD (PD=61) on an Rx which was given to the patient. The problem I had was that the Rx was written as a trifocal with a note that the Rx can be made as DVO or NVO and there was a computer Rx attached as well. SO... the question is what PD is that? Distance? Near? Computer? Is the patient to use that PD for everything? This is why I don't think it should be handed out. Just my thoughts.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude95 View Post
    In States Massachusetts, New Mexico and Alaska PD's are required to be given to the patients and it will catch on to other States. My thing is why not just give it to them? Patients can find out on there own there PD's and this would lead to resentment and potential loss of business. It's all about adapting to the times, think about it if you could get the same pair of glasses somewhere else for a lot of cheaper, would you? It's like buying a car, if you could get the same car from another dealer at a significantly lower price, would you? I just give the patient there PD's upon request at no charge and no questions. I have not seen/heard of any optometrist being held accountable for giving out a patient's PD, have you? If you have than please name that case.
    Please say something that proves you're an OD. Because you don't sound like one. (Or spell like someone who spent a lot of money on an education.)

Quick: what kind of VF would you run to determine NTG?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No. It is not the same as buying a car for less someplace else. It's more like buying a steak at the grocery store and expecting the local restaurant to cook it and serve it for NO CHARGE.

PDs, lens verification, OC/seg heights and adjustments are all part of pricing at a full service optical. I'm not sure why you do somebody else's job for NO CHARGE.

Maybe some day UNICEF will get into the optical business, but until then, I charge fee per service on eyewear not purchased in our office.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post
    No. It is not the same as buying a car for less someplace else. It's more like buying a steak at the grocery store and expecting the local restaurant to cook it and serve it for NO CHARGE..
    +1

For all this talk about PD, what about OC height? what about monocular PD as measured in the frame to be fitted with Rx lenses?
    Why on earth this sole fixation on PD?
    If you are buying glasses from a site which can't measure your pd or adjust your glasses, and you EXPECT free adjustments and a pat on the back from your local optish or optomish, go fly a kite and hang your new sort-of-glasses from said kite.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper That is the perfect way of doing it ..........................

I just give the patient there PD's upon request at no charge and no questions. I have not seen/heard of any optometrist being held accountable for giving out a patient's PD, have you? If you have than please name that case.

That is the perfect way of doing it ..........................

Optometrist's get paid for the eye exams, and if they sell also glasses it should be separated from the examination.

However as the market is heading more and more online, in every field you can think of, B&M optical retailers should prepare to service online purchased products and establish charges for it. Instead of refusing to adjust glasses that have not been purchased in the store, or to even doing it for free in some cases, there should be a price list for hands on services, form measuring the PD to adjustments of glasses.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    This thread just got really entertaining really fast!

drk spoke my mind. Well, aside from the medical mumbo-jumbo. Good thing I'm NOT a doctor.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is the perfect way of doing it ..........................

Optometrist's get paid for the eye exams, and if they sell also glasses it should be separated from the examination.

However as the market is heading more and more online, in every field you can think of, B&M optical retailers should prepare to service online purchased products and establish charges for it. Instead of refusing to adjust glasses that have not been purchased in the store, or to even doing it for free in some cases, there should be a price list for hands on services, form measuring the PD to adjustments of glasses.
    In fact onliners are opening b/m stores (what a novel concept) where they can sign leases, hire techs, opticians and optometrists, who can adjust frames, take pds, deal with after sale service etc... everything comes full circle to its logical conclusion.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Anno Domini 2017, = Vision Tests and Prescriptions from home ........................

Now that we have advanced 7 years since all these comments were made, maybe this thread will get hot and busy again as there is a website now offering legal prescriptions right of your computer or portable. No more doctors visit needed and all is legally signed by ophthalmologists in different states and delivered within days.

registered in 2017 = https://www.opternative.com

The anywhere, anytime vision test.

Get your glasses and contact lens prescriptions online.

Accurate prescriptions from home.

• $50

A contact or glasses vision test

• $60

Glasses and contact vision test
    We make a donation to help someone see with every purchase.

If this system just about popped up from now nowhere over the last few month and has today an Alexa ranking of:

Global
    320,113, in the USA 79,638 which puts it as No 17 of opticals best ranking commercial, sites all along with the best sites that have been around for years.

How long will it be that the next ones will pop up as time speed up.

What is your comment on this advance ?

Occupation
    My co worker and I just did this for for fun a couple weeks ago in front of my OD.

We laughed extremely hard.

It's trash.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Now that we have advanced 7 years since all these comments were made, maybe this thread will get hot and busy again as there is a website now offering legal prescriptions right of your computer or portable. No more doctors visit needed and all is legally signed by ophthalmologists in different states and delivered within days.

registered in 2017 = https://www.opternative.com

The anywhere, anytime vision test.

Get your glasses and contact lens prescriptions online.

Accurate prescriptions from home.

• $50

A contact or glasses vision test

• $60

Glasses and contact vision test
    We make a donation to help someone see with every purchase

What is your comment on this advance ?
    It makes me realize what a great value proposition I offer my patients for the service I provide. I imagine most ODs that I know feel about the same.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Are you just laughing everything off as a big joke ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

It makes me realize what a great value proposition I offer my patients for the service I provide. I imagine most ODs that I know feel about the same.

............as we get older we need new eyeglass prescriptions to get us over the hump the aging process produces. At some point the progression of changing eyesight stops and remains stable.

However the next generation will take over the gap. The next generation of humanity is living with and of the their cellphones 24 hours a day.

They are the ones that lived as adults when all the major changes in communications happened, and embraced them all the way.

There is a lot more coming in the optical retail field with the big merger just fully approved. Very visibly have the 2 merging corporations both, made big expansions and advances in the online optical retail business, in many countries and corners of the globe.

For the last few months there are even refractions available on line, signed off by ophthalmologists, which makes them fully legal in every corner.

Are you just laughing everything off as a big joke, or are you seriously thinking that some could end up on the wrong end of the stick, without having moved a finger to avoid it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are you just laughing everything off as a big joke, or are you seriously thinking that some could end up on the wrong end of the stick, without having moved a finger to avoid it?
    Always keep laughing Chris, never lose your sense of humor.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris, any of this online refracting or prescribing junk is just transitory.

It's a joke perpetrated on the customers, but "let the buyer beware", right? The hoax is that this stuff is worth the $50 or whatever. There's a sucker born every minute. Their market are those that think this online exam stuff is worthwhile or even necessary.

Eventually people will realize that they don't have to pretend to get a fake eye exam or fake CL Rx authored by some putz.

Want glasses? Fill in the fields.

Want contacts? Fill in the fields.

Nobody is going to stop you. Nobody is going to stop them. Have at it.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper well well well well DRK ..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Chris, any of this online refracting or prescribing junk is just transitory.

Nobody is going to stop you. Nobody is going to stop them. Have at it.

well well well well DRK ..........................................

as you are saying.............don't worry, it is all going away.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, online refracting is going away.

BUT.....No, unless someone polices the internet, OTC CLs and glasses are NOT going away.

The point is:
    a. online refracting is science fiction.
    b. online refracting is a $cam.
    c. online refracting is unnecessary for people who want to order glasses and contacts without seeing their doctor.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BUT.....No, unless someone polices the internet, OTC CLs and glasses are NOT going away.

The point is:
    a. online refracting is science fiction.
    b. online refracting is a $cam.
    c. online refracting is unnecessary for people who want to order glasses and contacts without seeing their doctor.
    Extremely well said.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper and who is going to police the internet ..........................................

.........................question:

and who is going to police the internet, to prohibit a commercial venture ?

This one seems to be signed off by qualified opthalmologist's as per press release.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This one seems to be signed off by qualified opthalmologist's as per press release.
    No "qualified" ophthalmologist I know would be party to this garbage, I suppose at the bottom of every barrel you can find some loser with a license...
    Very hard to find current reviews from actual civilians who have experienced this $50 hoax...and it has been around for a few years (a geological epoch in internet terms). With a near-glut of optometrists in North America, getting a real comprehensive exam from a professional is basically price competitive anyhow in many cases. My little practice has more genuine google reviews than this supposedly game-changing internet company does. Please, give me a break.

Occupation
    Optometrist

and who is going to police the internet, to prohibit a commercial venture ?

Nobody is going to police the internet. (Although the FBI did close down a very bad site, recently.)

The world's gaga-google over technology. It's the god of this age.

So...D-I-Y is here to stay.

So...whatever laws they DON'T have in Russia or the People's Republic of Kampuchea or Azerbaijan are laws we DON'T have in the west. (As long as Fed Ex or Brown can get there to pick up the glasses.)

I expect to have to be an expert in a field of goofiness.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

No "qualified" ophthalmologist I know would be party to this garbage, I suppose at the bottom of every barrel you can find some loser with a license...

From their website:

Helping the world see and feel better.
    Opternative is not a replacement for a comprehensive eye health examination. Our licensed Ophthalmologists use Opternative’s on-line technology to evaluate a patient's visual acuity and a portion of the ocular health profile, diagnose refractive error, and issue a prescription for corrective eyewear, where clinically appropriate. If you need help finding an eye care professional near you, please contact us at info@opternative.com.

Written by Your Doctor

An ophthalmologist licensed in your state will review your test results and prior prescription. Then, they'll write and sign your new prescription.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're going to pick someone in our office to be a guinea pig for taking the test, just so we can see what the Rxs look like when they come back. That way, we can exercise our right of refusal of services to anyone who brings one of these into us.

"Which is better: One, taking care of yourself and your personal health, or Two, not being off Instagram for an hour or two once a year?"

There is indeed a sucker born every minute, and as much as I want to blame companies that make patients think this is a sane or even workable alternative to an actual, hands-on exam, I also have to put some of the blame on the patients. They're grown adults with responsibilities and consequences. Sadly, this means we're all going to have to step up our knowledge as far as what the competition is offering up, especially as the tech advances and gets closer to giving tolerable refractions down the line.

Thread Information