Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1204

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Classic!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Our insurance signature on file and acknowledgement of HIPPA receipt form is a laminated form that patients sign with an erasable marker. After they sign it with the marker, I scan and upload it into their EHR (electronic health record). It then gets wiped it off and put it back on the clipboard for the next patient.

You should see some patients' faces when they're given the clipboard, told what it is, and instructed to sign it.

"You actually want me to sign this?"
    "You've got to be kidding me! Really?"
    "You want me to use what to sign it?"
    "Do I really have to?"
    "You want me to sign it like this?"
    "Do I even have to sign it?"

SERIOUSLY?! Just sign already!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
    Our insurance signature on file and acknowledgement of HIPPA receipt form is a laminated form that patients sign with an erasable marker. After they sign it with the marker, I scan and upload it into their EHR (electronic health record). It then gets wiped it off and put it back on the clipboard for the next patient.

You should see some patients' faces when they're given the clipboard, told what it is, and instructed to sign it.

"You actually want me to sign this?"
    "You've got to be kidding me! Really?"
    "You want me to use what to sign it?"
    "Do I really have to?"
    "You want me to sign it like this?"
    "Do I even have to sign it?"

SERIOUSLY?! Just sign already!
    Ah, dem Flatlanders are a trip, aren't de? ;)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Ah, dem Flatlanders are a trip, aren't de? ;)
    I usually just tell them that's how it was when I got here and if it makes them feel better other providers are doing this as well. (It's how my new dentist makes their patients sign it.)

Occupation
    Oh, we recently had a patient who wanted to be put in plastic lenses. When we told the patient we were putting the patient into polycarb, the patient asked, "That's a plastic lens, right?" The patient had just been told 2 seconds earlier that polycarb was a versatile, tough plastic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
    Oh, we recently had a patient who wanted to be put in plastic lenses. When we told the patient we were putting the patient into polycarb, the patient asked, "That's a plastic lens, right?" The patient had just been told 2 seconds earlier that polycarb was a versatile, tough plastic.
    Thermoplastic may have been a step too far

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Oh! Is your husband an Optician?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyley View Post
    Sometimes we get women in who CAN'T pick out a frame without their husband. I had a lady in once and we picked out a pair that was very flattering, fit great and was under her budget. But she has to have hubby see them before she purchases them.

He comes in with her the next night. I kid you not: he proceeds to have her try on frames he is picking out- ALL OF THEM MEN'S FRAMES!!!

What's with that!!!
    I always reply...
    Oh! Is your husband/wife an optician?

Just sayin.

• aBBerated

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    "If I put the prism on the order as Up and Down, will the lab know that it's vertical prism?"
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Valid question. Suppose the pt is lying on their side. Then the prism is no longer vertical! But wait, then the prism is no longer up and down. So how do I tell the lab that I want vertical prism most of the time, but not when the pt. is lying down? And how about if they're lying on their right side vs. their left side? If it was up OD and down OS, is it now down OD and up OS? But when they're lying down, they're probably going to go to sleep and have taken their glasses off anyways. OK, problem solved. But wait, do they have double vision when their eyes are closed? What about during their dreams?

I need a drink.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Valid question. Suppose the pt is lying on their side. Then the prism is no longer vertical! But wait, then the prism is no longer up and down. So how do I tell the lab that I want vertical prism most of the time, but not when the pt. is lying down? And how about if they're lying on their right side vs. their left side? If it was up OD and down OS, is it now down OD and up OS? But when they're lying down, they're probably going to go to sleep and have taken their glasses off anyways. OK, problem solved. But wait, do they have double vision when their eyes are closed? What about during their dreams?

I need a drink.
    Colorado ski trip during Christmas break, Wayne?
    Eyes wide open

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Colorado ski trip during Christmas break, Wayne?
    Very subtle uncut. Took me a few hours to get the "Rocky Mountain High" reference. I like that kind of humor. It did give me the munchies though.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From an Eye Med patient who's history is sensitive to progressive design change so opted to private pay for the glasses...one month after pick up...perfectly happy with how they look and perform...

"Why didn't you tell me not to buy these glasses?"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by abberated View Post
    I always reply...
    Oh! Is your husband/wife an optician?

Just sayin.
    He must be trying to fend off the competition.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I had someone ask me today, "Are these glasses bisexual?"

I had someone ask how you can tell if it's a female frame or a male frame.

Without changing the serious look on my face, I told them to look under the temples pieces.

She just stood there for a moment, but hubby got it right away and laughed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorite is when someone walks the perimeter of your frame displays containing several hundred choices in 10 seconds and then asks " is that all you have?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had a couple of patients lately who obviously had ordered/thought about ordering specs online and had measured their own PD or had it from a previous RX. What these people thought the PD was, was the A measurement of the frames. A'la: "Ahem, yes...I wear a 57.5 frame, can you show me some in that size?"
    So when I tried to explain the measurements, one of these folks thought I was just lying because I knew he could get a better price online for exactly the right size. *sigh*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sometimes do custom shapes with our drill-mount frames, and one gentleman in particular loves the idea. However, conversation pretty much goes like this:

Guy says, "I want glasses shaped like a stop sign. Only more round. But bigger. Like a stop sign, but shaped more of a circle. Make sure they are tall, y'know, up and down, but more wide. You know what I mean.

A few blinks and a deep breath later, I started drawing pictures, until I found exactly what he wanted; A stop sign.

He picked them up and loved them... for about a week. He just came in wanting me to adjust the shape.

Guy says, "I want them exactly the same shape, only shorter. And my next pair I think I want triangles, only more square."
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We warranty against Manufacturers defects, NOT abuse. Wrestling with sibs/friends is NOT a fault of the frame. We bend from time to time but only as a one time exception.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had 1 customer recently with prescriptions of OD: -6.00 -2.50 x 170 OS: -6.00 -2.50 x 10 came to my place and order a 1.67 lens with new frame. She keeps complaining about the thickness and her eyes look smaller in this new lens. Her old prescriptions is OD: -5.50 -2.50 x 170 OS: -5.50 -2.50 x 10 she is using 1.6 on her old glasses. i told her due to the old frame is smaller than the new one so it will be a bit more thicker even if its 1.67 index but she just can't accept it. She said that after so long time of wearing glasses this is the first time she wear lens that so thick and make her eyes so small. I've been wondering why just don't do a 1.74 index lens you are the one who want cheap lens but wanna complain the hell out. I show her new glasses to all my Lab friends here they all says that it's very thin as the prescriptions is quite high.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We had a customer come in the other day who insisted that we'd given her a set of defective sun lenses. According to her, there was a green spot on the lens. After checking the lenses thoroughly, I couldn't find anything. I asked her when she saw the spot, and her response? "Only when I look directly into the sun."
    ...what.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a man come in wearing a cheater reader complaining that "these glasses I made for him" don't work. I finally convinced him these are NOT the glasses he got from me. HIS had a full-metal frame, not semi-rimless and HIS had a bifocal....also real prescription glasses never have the power printed on the temple.
    He comes back in wearing a plastic cheater (with a triumphant look on his face) a while later saying THIS is the bad pair. Here we go again.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haven't read through all the posts so this might have been brought up before. The all time classic question. Patient with state insurance asks where they can choose there free frame from for there BOGO glasses.......really!!!!!!! It's buy one get one free not get one get one free!!!!!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My current pet peeve is the patient who asks, "What color is this?" about every frame they try on. Did they not teach you your colors in kindergarten? Also, if I call it "aubergine" instead of "purple," is that really going to change how you like the way they look?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    you wouldn't believe how much easier to sell a frame with light blue on it by calling it "Tiffany Blue". People like to feel special, and they are.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    My current pet peeve is the patient who asks, "What color is this?" about every frame they try on. Did they not teach you your colors in kindergarten? Also, if I call it "aubergine" instead of "purple," is that really going to change how you like the way they look?
    There are a lot more color blind people in the world than you might suspect. Also, indoor lighting can greatly affect colors. I have a very hard time figuring out which pants are black and which are dark blue when I get dressed. But when I get outside, it becomes rather obvious.

Thread Information