What's going on at Luxotica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on at Luxotica

Just got word that a lot of reps were told to "walk". Is Luxotica having problems?

I've been in this for more than 25 years, and that "word" has been heard every year. Actually, it's not a Luxotica thing, but rather the nature of the business. There are cycles to everything.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

My doctor just told me to walk!

Is something going on?

Comment

Luxottica is the problem. I feel they have grown to big like a few box stores we all know and have become accustom to running rough shod over those who helped them get to their size. At their size they make the rules and you play the game their way. Anyone who accepts medicare knows how that is.

Comment

Luxottica is winning the optical monopoly. HOW they're doing it is a disgrace.

Comment

It is time for the spring shuffle of brands from one manufacturer to another, so brand names change hands and sometimes so do reps. At least that's my thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post

Is something going on?
              Yeah, maybe he's going to suggest Pilates next!

Comment

Is the long mooted sale to Essilor completing, Lux is in the process of closing 20% of it's Aussie stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post

Is something going on?
                  The FEZZJohns Yoga Mats can't be far behind!
                  -Tony

Comment

Originally posted by SeaU2020 View Post
                    How are they doing it that's disgraceful? I am not a fan of them at all, but have they done anything unethical and/or illegal?

What I find disgraceful is how many people are still buying from their competition. It's actually genious on the part of Lux, but not som much on the part of ECPs.
                    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

Originally posted by Johns View Post
                      How are they doing it that's disgraceful? I am not a fan of them at all, but have they done anything unethical and/or illegal?

What I find disgraceful is how many people are still buying from their competition. It's actually genious on the part of Lux, but not som much on the part of ECPs.
                      Well said. short sighted ECPs are really their own worst enemy. How long does anyone think it would take for the "premium" eyewear brands (Prada, Bulgari D+G etc) to drop Lux if the only places they were available is at Lenscrafters and Pearle? How many people would aspire to own Luis Vuitton bags or luggage if it was carried exclusively at Walmart?

Comment

Able!

Comment

Whenever some new VP takes over (about every 3 months) they feel the need to stir things up, blow the dust around and pretend they are being effective.

Comment

I don't think they are winning. Like The Tower of Pisa they are leaning a little lower every year... its only a matter of time before they follow AO and B&L into the path of mediocrity and soon after oblivion. Oh, they have already become mediocre so they are far along that road.

Except for Ray-ban and Prada they are almost non-existent here in the Northwest of the US. Polo anyone? They destroyed one of the most iconic eye wear brands in the US in less than 3 months.

Go through their brand portfolio one by one and the first words that come to mind for each one are "jumped the shark".

I will expect a resurgent Safilo to steal a brand or two next year. A few other will chomp at the bit here and there. Once the first defections start, they will emphasize owned lines over licensed ones because of higher margins, and this will **** off more of the licensed ones, increasing defections. Its a viscous cycle.

Originally posted by SeaU2020 View Post

Comment

not what you have been made to think is best..............................

Originally posted by morinput View Post

Well said. short sighted ECPs are really their own worst enemy. How long does anyone think it would take for the "premium" eyewear brands (Prada, Bulgari D+G etc) to drop Lux if the only places they were available is at Lenscrafters and Pearle? How many people would aspire to own Luis Vuitton bags or luggage if it was carried exclusively at Walmart?

Abeve statement is incorrect. While the US market is important to a so called manufacturer but it is not the most important one. It was the easiest one for a long time.

These days where other countries have developed to standards in our field that surpass this field by a long shot by population and industrial resources overseas, have become much more important to them. The USA is no more the dream land of every manufacturer to make the best sales.

Furthermore your premium brands are the biggest perception ever in the optical trade. A manufacturer will sell and has been forever sell the same frame in one country as a premium branded one at triple the price in one country and as a regular non branded one in another.

The one time I was involved with such a sceem was when my company was the L'AMY distributor for 20 years in Canada and we introduced successfully the Emanuel UNGARO frames in Canada, while L'AMY sold the same frames in the USA for 70% less as regular stock frames under their own name. It came out in the open when we run short on stock, they could not supply and offered their USA models (no brand names) to help us out.

The same politics rules also with lens manufacturers. They sell the same lenses under different namesn, in different packages at differenet prices and you people go for it, and swear by what you believe is reality. In order to get the confusion going the same lenses you buy in North America are sold in other countries under different names and prices. The worst is when they sell you the same lens or AR coatings under different models.

I started to sell UV protection products in 1982 by introducing a concentrate in a package of 2 bottles at the price very few others sold them in quart bottles for one bottle. I did well with them. A couple of years later one large US distributor wanted me (under their own label) to supply them in quart bottles, which we did in huge quantities. Same amount of UV material and 80% more water at double the price.
                              Bigger is better is the motto in the USA and many retailers swore that the bigger bottle would give better quality results than the concentrate where they had to add their own water.

In all the different threads about more education nobody talks about educating the profession on learning what the markets offer and how to and where to purchase products and get the best, and not what you have been made to think is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X