No announcement yet.

former Warby Parker optician- ask me anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything else you want to add to your dystopian nightmare, Chris?

How about this one: everyone will be walking around in a virtual reality headset that is cortically connected, obviating the need for eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
      "will pockets" ..........................................

Are you in the "know how" of this announcement ? Some two million new customers going their way is a huge gain of business for any company, and should be interesting news for them.
      Chris, that's like saying you are going to open a store in a town with 2 million people and have 2 million new customers. Also keep in mind that plan is for retiree's. WB doesn't offer FT lenses of any sort. ( Lot's of retiree's preferred lens type, just like you...)

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post

How about this one: everyone will be walking around in a virtual reality headset that is cortically connected, obviating the need for eyes.
        Lol!! Red pill or blue pill?

Not only is it his dystopian nightmare, it's one that he's an expert on in all aspects. He knows what has happened and why, what is happening, and why and what is going to happen and why. We all should be humbly grateful for his extraordinary generosity for sharing his brilliance with us. I sure know I am...

Comment

I can only answer your friendly post with .......................................

Originally posted by drk View Post

ADJECTIVE

• Relating to or denoting an imagined state or society where there is great suffering or injustice.
            ‘the dystopian future of a society bereft of reason’

‘the utopian dream that became a dystopian nightmare’

Originally posted by optical24/7 View Post
            Chris, that's like saying you are going to open a store in a town with 2 million people and have 2 million new customers. Also keep in mind that plan is for retiree's. WB doesn't offer FT lenses of any sort. ( Lot's of retiree's preferred lens type, just like you...)

wrong..............optical24/7
            They are selling exclusively to 2 million older people that would have been spread over an conventional, existing and established market under the existing way of doing business for the last 100 years.

........and yes the plan is for retirees who will not be around anymore, in a few years from now, and the new oldies waiting in line to retire, have been wearing progressives, since they needed glasses for close up work.
            (furthermore I am writing this post looking through a pair of progressives lenses, while I still prefer my ST 35 lenses to read a book or a newspaper.

Originally posted by Quig View Post

Lol!! Red pill or blue pill?

Not only is it his dystopian nightmare, it's one that he's an expert on in all aspects. He knows what has happened and why, what is happening, and why and what is going to happen and why. We all should be humbly grateful for his extraordinary generosity for sharing his brilliance with us. I sure know I am...

I can only answer your friendly post with, a piece of history from Winston Churchill in 1938:

Churchill's warnings about the danger of the new Nazi regime in Germany initially fell on deaf ears. In 1938 Britain and Germany almost went to war over Hitler's desire to annex part of Czechoslovakia. Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain flew to Munich to secure a guarantee that there would be no further German aggression. Churchill was critical of the policy of appeasement and broadcast directly to the United States, appealing for greater American involvement in Europe. When Hitler occupied Prague and the Czech provinces of Bohemia and Moravia, Churchill's predictions were seen to be coming true.

source:
          Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Nothing but a bunch of cutting and pasting. Nothing to see here, as usual...

Comment

wrong..............optical24/7
              They are selling exclusively to 2 million older people that would have been spread over an conventional, existing and established market under the existing way of doing business for the last 100 years.

I wasn't aware that the 2 million members were allowed only to purchase from WP. Where does this exclusivity come from?

I can only answer your friendly post with, a piece of history from Winston Churchill in 1938:

Churchill's warnings about the danger of the new Nazi regime in Germany initially fell on deaf ears. In 1938 Britain and Germany almost went to war over Hitler's desire to annex part of Czechoslovakia. Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain flew to Munich to secure a guarantee that there would be no further German aggression. Churchill was critical of the policy of appeasement and broadcast directly to the United States, appealing for greater American involvement in Europe. When Hitler occupied Prague and the Czech provinces of Bohemia and Moravia, Churchill's predictions were seen to be coming true.

source:
              https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/churchill/wc-hour.html
              aaand we've gone full on to pants on head crazy town folks. Trying to make comparisions between online eyeglasses and Nazis, wow.

Comment

Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwill212 View Post

I wasn't aware that the 2 million members were allowed only to purchase from WP. Where does this exclusivity come from?
                  if you would have checked the post you would have seen it, including the link

Retirees can buy Warby Parker designer glasses for under $50 with UnitedHealth's Medicare plan

• UnitedHealth says it will offer about 2 million of its Medicare Advantage beneficiaries access to Warby Parker's prescription eyewear.
                  • A $95 pair of designer prescription sunglasses from Warby Parker could cost less than $50 under a Medicare Advantage plan, according to UnitedHealth.

Berkeley Lovelace Jr. | @BerkeleyJr
                  Published 2:58 PM ET Mon, 19 Nov 2018 Updated 9:18 PM ET Wed, 21 Nov 2018

Originally posted by Kwill

aaand we've gone full on to pants on head crazy town folks. Trying to make comparisions between online eyeglasses and Nazis, wow.

no comments to be made ..........................

Comment

......................thanks you for your compliments, however they get boring.

Originally posted by Quig View Post
                    \

Nothing but a bunch of cutting and pasting. Nothing to see here, as usual...

......................thanks you for your compliments, however they get boring. Out of a total of 34 of your posts on optiBoard look and say the same thing.
                    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-15-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

if you would have checked the post you would have seen it, including the link

Retirees can buy Warby Parker designer glasses for under $50 with UnitedHealth's Medicare plan

Yes Chris, I don't think anyone could miss the 6 posts and your dozens of comments about that link if we tried. No where in there does it suggest any kind of exclusivity. To think that all two Million of those people on UHC medicare plan are going to start using WP is ridiculous. As if to say they can not buy glasses where ever they chose. I don't have any concrete evidence for this but I would venture to guess a large number of those people are pseudophakic and their OMD told them "just get some readers from the drug store, you don't need glasses anymore". I also think that another significant portion wear flat-top bifocals, and another significant portion can't log onto their computer without calling their grandchild, let alone want to order glasses online. This leaves a small % of the 2 million who now have acces to a 50% off coupon to WP. Whoopdie-doo.

The older people get, the more they want service from professionals. As people age, their disposable income goes up, they can afford, and they want products that work better, that work right the first time, that last longer, they want expert advice and service for those products, and they are willing to pay for it. This is not new and is not about to change. Obviously there is a large section of society that this doesn't apply to. The ones that shop as Sams or Costco for everything they ever buy. That's fine. But, there will always be plenty enough of the other type of consumers to keep the good professionals and experts employed, no matter what the field. Until Skynet™ takes over, I think those of us providing top quality and service will be just fine.

Comment

Thank you Kwill for the first time answering my post with a real opinion,............

Originally posted by Kwill212 View Post

To think that all two Million of those people on UHC medicare plan are going to start using WP is ridiculous. As if to say they can not buy glasses where ever they chose. I don't have any concrete evidence for this but I would venture to guess a large number of those people are pseudophakic and their OMD told them "just get some readers from the drug store, you don't need glasses anymore". I also think that another significant portion wear flat-top bifocals, and another significant portion can't log onto their computer without calling their grandchild, let alone want to order glasses online. This leaves a small % of the 2 million who now have acces to a 50% off coupon to WP. Whoopdie-doo.

The older people get, the more they want service from professionals. As people age, their disposable income goes up, they can afford, and they want products that work better, that work right the first time, that last longer, they want expert advice and service for those products, and they are willing to pay for it. This is not new and is not about to change. Obviously there is a large section of society that this doesn't apply to. The ones that shop as Sams or Costco for everything they ever buy. That's fine.
                        But, there will always be plenty enough of the other type of consumers to keep the good professionals and experts employed, no matter what the field. Until Skynet™ takes over, I think those of us providing top quality and service will be just fine.

Thank you Kwill for the first time answering my post with a real opinion, ...................and without any side comments.

1) The generation you describe is listed in every daily newspaper in larger numbers all over the continent as departed forever.

...........and yes many or most of them can not log on to a computer, because they did not believe into the change of technology would make on our lives forever.

However they most probably will be notified, in other ways, by their health insurance on important facts, because large insurances companies have not become rich and successful, because the are stupid and payout more than they make.

The olergeneration is now progressively replaced by the next generation, who has experience buying online, and which is growing year after year.

2) Older people most of the time live from their life savings and or, with a pension from a lifelong job. They are much more careful in spending their money at that stage of their life.

You do not have to worry about the old generations, you have to worry about what if following next, and the most forward planning optical corporation I have learned, is the Essilux that soon will be the biggest influence on the optical world retail market, trying to dominate it.

Comment

• wrong..............optical24/7

Chris, I respectfully disagree. I'm not wrong because there is no way on God's green Earth ALL 2 million subscribers are going to buy their glasses at WP! Heck, not even VSP, which arguable has the best vision plan for out of pocket costs to the patient retain ALL of their members. I know this because we don't take VSP yet sell to VSP patients all day, every day.

Comment

of course you are right......................................

Chris, I respectfully disagree. I'm not wrong because there is no way on God's green Earth ALL 2 million subscribers are going to buy their glasses at WP! Heck, not even VSP, which arguable has the best vision plan for out of pocket costs to the patient retain ALL of their members. I know this because we don't take VSP yet sell to VSP patients all day, every day.

optical24..............................of course you are right. I posted what they said. That is never the end result, but it could be if all of them would go the recommended way.

We are right now at the start of the biggest change of the commercial world, with the just starting G5 technology were computers will also do their own thinking and acting.

All we have to do is watching out and keep our eyes open and go along with fast coming changes, to adapt in order to stay commercially alive.
                            Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-16-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

It all boils down to get some more inside information ...........................

It all boils down to get some more inside information from a recent former member of the WP organization, that has mushroomed successfully into the optical retail world in North America.

Any such information should, or could help the still independent professional optical retailer to take some counter action, and to slow the flow of patients to such discount retailers.

With the latest news of, and in the general economy that has slowed down progressively, the commercial sales of discounted goods would tend to increase in general.

WP is only the latest success story in the optical retail discount market. The much bigger threat for domination comes from the
                              biggest world wide monopoly ever, that caters to the retailers and also absorbs them into their system at any time there's a chance to do so.

Comment

Might be a good time to read this again:

B

Comment

Working...
                                X