Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Is Opticianry Dead?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd, education is the cure for poverty, crime, political waste, graft, and all other things that beset mankind.
    Guess work has fallen out of favor and we should get paid for the paper we hang on the wall.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    FWIW. I find it interesting that of the most vocal naysayers in this thread, one practices in Utah, where no licensing is required and one is from Canada.

Often, trying to convince some opticians that education is the key to their advancement is like teaching pigs to dance. Hopeless.
    Of course, I was expecting that response sooner or later. Regardless of the fact that you not of what you speak, where I've worked, who/what I know about licensure in various states, my own educational background, or even clearly my own feelings about the immense value of education in general. I know several of you "educated" types love to jump to the personal attack when you hear a dissenting opinion regardless of how baseless your insinuations are in reality. But hey, YOU feel better right? And that's is of course, truly all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Odd, education is the cure for poverty, crime, political waste, graft, and all other things that beset mankind.
    Guess work has fallen out of favor and we should get paid for the paper we hang on the wall.

Chip
    As stated before, I challenge ANYONE in ANY OFFICE in the US to remove any and all paper from the walls. Wait and see how long the general public takes to notice as much. Do you honestly believe the over-the-top high end boutique shop, the mall 1 hour joint, or any of the optometrist or ophthalmologist private practices would even see a blip on their balance sheets from the waves of patients refusing to patronize their fine establishments because they appear somehow less educated? When was the last time you got a call from anyone asking if you were properly educated in a 2-4 year degree program from an accredited school? When was the last time you had a paying customer so much as ask you if your ABO was up to date and all your required CE was being fulfilled?

The public at large does not care and whats more, they certainly are not willing to pay a massive premium for it. This is being shown to us nationwide every day with increasing frequency. Adapting to a new marketplace is becoming more common in many fields, healthcare not the least of which. About the only certainty is that things will continue to change and evolve at an ever increasing rate. Trying to change the public's perception of value of their local optician and in so doing hoping to add to the balance sheet doing nothing more than requiring an ill-defined "education" is folly at best. You'll have better luck trying to hold back the tide with a toothpick.

Pay your dues to organizations claiming they can change that if you wish, it's certainly your prerogative, and all the best of luck to you - truly. At the end of the day, a practice's success or failure is going to be due to many things - requiring a 2-4 year vague opticianry degree however, will be near the bottom of that list.

P.S. Chip - are you saying you actually believe that "education" alone would cure political waste? Methinks you haven't watched the news or read a paper in the last several hundred years or so Mate.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ulli: Precisely my point, education does not create any sense of honor amoung those with it. It just makes criminals better criminals. I am completely in favour of learning and aquireing skills. But I don't think creates any sense of personal responsiblity. Even when it gives one: "A license to steal." and Dr. Jerry Feldman used to call it.

Don't get me wrong four of the most honorable men I have ever met were MD's Three of these were ophthalmologists. But they unfortunately were highly outnumbered by those who were far from honorable.

You don't see Medicare investigating and prosecuting opticians for fraud, but the educated MD's and OD's keep them quite busy.

Chip

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW. I find it interesting that of the most vocal naysayers in this thread, one practices in Utah, where no licensing is required and one is from Canada.

Often, trying to convince some opticians that education is the key to their advancement is like teaching pigs to dance. Hopeless.
    It would be easier to teach pigs to dance than to convince this already educated optician that even more education is the (your words here) "key to advancement". As wise as that sounds to some, likely those without much education (formal or informal), it is simply not the holy grail of status and success. Once again, if you think that it is, go back to school, get more education, remain an optician, and check your pay stub.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    It would be easier to teach pigs to dance than to convince this already educated optician that even more education is the (your words here) "key to advancement". As wise as that sounds to some, likely those without much education (formal or informal), it is simply not the holy grail of status and success. Once again, if you think that it is, go back to school, get more education, remain an optician, and check your pay stub.
    Actually the Holy Grail of success and status is Ownership. Want to make Opticianry stronger, help more opticians become independent business owners. Why do OD's and MD's wield power? because they are the final decision makers in their practices. Vendors would rather talk to the owner than an employee any day. All power and profits flow to ownership.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've GOT IT! I'm gonna go dig through my old boxes, and find my tassel from high school graduation. SURELY THAT will influence people to know that I'm smarter than the average McTician and the money will no doubt rain down upon me! (Because NONE of the other paper on the wall works!) And if the graduation tassel doesn't do it - I'm resorting to stripper tassels. THAT'S SURE to make an impression on my eyeglass buying public! ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I've GOT IT! I'm gonna go dig through my old boxes, and find my tassel from high school graduation. SURELY THAT will influence people to know that I'm smarter than the average McTician and the money will no doubt rain down upon me! (Because NONE of the other paper on the wall works!) And if the graduation tassel doesn't do it - I'm resorting to stripper tassels. THAT'S SURE to make an impression on my eyeglass buying public! ;)
    Just make sure they're made of polycarbonate.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    “Where ignorance is bliss,
    ‘Tis folly to be wise.’”
    Thomas Gray

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Actually the Holy Grail of success and status is Ownership. Want to make Opticianry stronger, help more opticians become independent business owners. Why do OD's and MD's wield power? because they are the final decision makers in their practices. Vendors would rather talk to the owner than an employee any day. All power and profits flow to ownership.
    I hereby nominate KC for the title, and much coveted............................ "POST OF THE THREAD"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=kcount;400318].

Proud Member of the ABE Club!
    Don't feed the Beast...

The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.
    Albert Ellis

For some, thinking is too great a burden.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip

It should go hand in hand. Work and education go together just as well as education and work fit just as nicely,

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    “Where ignorance is bliss,
    ‘Tis folly to be wise.’”
    Thomas Gray

That maybe true in some instances but to insinuate we are ignorant just because we don't agree with you is in my opinion the height of arrogance. And don't say that's not what you implied because by leaving the quote the implication is quite clear.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    That maybe true in some instances but to insinuate we are ignorant just because we don't agree with you is in my opinion the height of arrogance. And don't say that's not what you implied because by leaving the quote the implication is quite clear.

Nice!

Note: PHD is Piled Higher and Deeper by Anonymous

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anybody else find it extremely depressing when looking through our very own job forum at the Optician help wanted posts, and see that most only ask for 1-2 years experience and a high school graduate!

It sure doesn't inspire hope for Opticianry for me, does it for you?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depressing? Of course. However, given Opticianry's lack of uniform educational requirements, not surprising.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depressing? Of course. However, given Opticianry's lack of uniform educational requirements, not surprising.
    Why bother with the education when that is not what the folks doing the hiring seem to be looking, or willing to pay for?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    Why bother with the education when that is not what the folks doing the hiring seem to be looking, or willing to pay for?
    Then, what's there to be depressed about?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then, what's there to be depressed about?
    That Opticianry, as many of us know it.................is DEAD!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That Opticianry, as many of us know it.................is DEAD!
    Not in Virginia.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anybody else find it extremely depressing when looking through our very own job forum at the Optician help wanted posts, and see that most only ask for 1-2 years experience and a high school graduate!

In NY they do that all the time. They don't want to pay a seasoned optician. I know i have been told that many times.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think that has been answered in the previous 340 posts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Really? There's at least one that I'm aware of asking for 5 years min and ABOC preferred.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Really? There's at least one that I'm aware of asking for 5 years min and ABOC preferred.
    I wonder if they pay relocation costs?

It may be easier to fill that position if it was posted in the Job Forum AND not the Marketplace!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if they pay relocation costs?

It may be easier to fill that position if it was posted in the Job Forum AND not the Marketplace!
    Thanks for the heads up.. fixed. I can ask regarding the relocation.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Grabs popcorn...

Hey, Diopterman, want some extra butter?

Thread Information