prevencia's true colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prevencia's true colors

Would someone mind taking a pic of the crizal prevencia AR coating that displays the yellowish purple colors very clearly?

Thanking you in advance,

Eric

It doesn't look anymore "yellow" than normal crizal, but it has an added purplish hue reflex as well as the normal green.

Sorry don't have a pair but maybe next time they come in.

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticneutral View Post
      Would someone mind taking a pic of the crizal prevencia AR coating that displays the yellowish purple colors very clearly?

Thanking you in advance,

Eric
      Can your E rep get you a sample? Like all tinted/mirror lenses, it will likely look different under different light sources. Best to view it in person.

(Apart from the horrific temple "adjustment" on the pair shown, here's one example showing the reflex and yellow nature of the lenses: http://www.walkersopticians.co.uk/wp...2/DSC07150.jpg). Google has several others as well...

Comment

The rep just came in with a ton of POP. There's a display with the avance and prevencia as full size lens blanks. I hate to be a nay sayer (that's not true I revel in nay saying) but the demo lenses look like the typical green hue of avance and the blue of sapphire. The first few pair of prevencia we got in our office had a yellowish hue on top of the purpley reflection. maybe im just crazy. That's what my cheerios tell me, but who listens to cereal?

Comment

I see it like 2-3% yellow in the material plus really purple reflection.

Comment

I wear them. I see the yellow cast occasionally and have tried to photograph it before but had no luck. Tried just now and got this...Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	869327

eta: picture
            Last edited by opty4062; 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I got a demo pair and compared it with another labs blue light blocking AR, and both, surprise! surprise!, had a very blue/purple hue to them lens. I'd guess the yellow and green you're seeing is the result of the blue waves being reflected back. (Pure speculation honestly but I'm running with it :^) )
              As for a pic I tried and the only thing I could get looked just like Opty's pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Boldt View Post
                I got a demo pair and compared it with another labs blue light blocking AR, and both, surprise! surprise!, had a very blue/purple hue to them lens. I'd guess the yellow and green you're seeing is the result of the blue waves being reflected back. (Pure speculation honestly but I'm running with it :^) )
                As for a pic I tried and the only thing I could get looked just like Opty's pic.
                Have a pair in Recharge... Shows up as slightly more brownish, to me, but they are combined with Trans-7 in brown, which I suppose might be cutting down on the yellow.

Question-- theoretically, could similar benefits be seen simply by combining a standard AR with a yellow 2-3%, or is there a unique property to blue-blocking ARs that makes them more effective?

Comment

I could see that making them more brown than yellow, but I don't know much about recharge.
                  The way I understand it, no. The way it was explained to me is that there is a layer that both absorbs and reflects the light at the 400-450nm range. While the yellow tint would let it pass through like any other tint. With most AR's that are not blue light blockers (the exception is some with the basic HEV filter and of those I only know about RB Tech) all they really do is disrupt the light as it passes through the lens, letting more through and there by reducing glare.
                  Hope I help you out with this. I've just started learning about this over the past year, so I may have some wrong information here.

Comment

Originally posted by Browman View Post
                    ...Question-- theoretically, could similar benefits be seen simply by combining a standard AR with a yellow 2-3%, or is there a unique property to blue-blocking ARs that makes them more effective?
                    Herein lies the problem. There is absolutely no agreement on what specific frequency or frequencies of light to attenuate, nor how far to attenuate said frequencies. Further, every manufacturer seems to have their own particular interpretation of "blue light", and how they choose to "manage" it varies wildly.
                    It's the wild wild west...of blue light!

Comment

It's the wild wild west...of blue light! ..........................

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                      It's the wild wild west...of blue light!

I would love to measure these lenses with my spectrometer and find tons of blue light transmitted.

Comment

I have personally tested recharge, prevencia, and blue tec with a high intensity blue light and they do ALL block alot of the blue light with blue tec by far blocking the most. They say in all of their literature that they do not attempt to block all the Blue light just the higher intensity portion. I feel they do perform as advertised Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                          I have personally tested recharge, prevencia, and blue tec with a high intensity blue light and they do ALL block alot of the blue light with blue tec by far blocking the most. They say in all of their literature that they do not attempt to block all the Blue light just the higher intensity portion. I feel they do perform as advertised Chris.
                          I found completely the opposite. There are sources for the full 400-500nm spectrum lights and the only one that effectively blocks most all of the light transmission is BlueTech's yellow pigmented lenses. The others have gaps and allow for the light to pass through with ease. Gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by racethe1320:498307
                            I found completely the opposite. There are sources for the full 400-500nm spectrum lights and the only one that effectively blocks most all of the light transmission is BlueTech's yellow pigmented lenses. The others have gaps and allow for the light to pass through with ease. Gimmicks.
                            you are welcome to your opinion but I have seen it in front of my eyes and know without a doubt they block at least percentages of the blue light. I do agree that blue tec by far blocks the most but the other two DO block a portion of the blue spectrum! If anyone out there doubts it test it for yourself and you will see that seeing is believing!

Comment

you are welcome to your opinion but I have seen it in front of my eyes and know without a doubt they block at least percentages of the blue light. I do agree that blue tec by far blocks the most but the other two DO block a portion of the blue spectrum! If anyone out there doubts it test it for yourself and you will see that seeing is believing!
                              "Crizal® Prevencia™ lenses deflect harmful Blue-Violet light by 20%"
                              from the horses mouth. I never believe the hype. Is it still a niche lens for people with macular degeneration and budding cataracts or has been accepted as the end all be all antireflective coating for generation Z and the Millennials

Click image for larger version

Name:	flavor_flav.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	869328

Comment

Working...
                              X