Thread: Visual need for different occupations

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Visual need for different occupations

Could someone indicate a book where i can find the visual needs of different professions
    and occupations and the type of lens recommended?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'd be interested, if such a thing exists. I'll wait on the side-lines to see if someone knows of a resource...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sign me up for a copy of this book, too! Sorry that I don't have an answer to your query, but hopefully someone else does.

Sadly, my hunch is that we will be waiting a while. What are we drinking on the sidelines while we wait, Quince?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Referenced in Stimson the book youre looking for is called: Guide to Occupational and Other Visual Needs by Holmes. I have a copy. Its from the 50's but still has applicability today. The author surveyed many different professions and jobs and compiled the results into a book categorized by job and tells the eyecare professional if that person may need single task glasses or what the visual challenges of that job might be. If you can find an in-tact copy its a great find.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper check out right here .....................................

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks guys! I'm looking through the contents and this looks like a decent resource for optics in general but I'm not seeing anything on specific lenses for specific occupations... let me know, if I'm just missing it.

bretk0923- This time of year I'm more likely to pick out a craft beer. Fortunately, New England's plethora of local brews does not disappoint- especially in summer. Though it isn't their summer release, Sebago Brewing makes a delicious Runabout Red that is perfect for sitting around a fire, or reading up on optical theories
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amazon has it for like 22.00. Worth a look even if its in bad shape.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Looks like a fascinating book, but I'm thinking that there are a few post-1950s careers whose visual needs it does not address....
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Looks like a fascinating book, but I'm thinking that there are a few post-1950s careers whose visual needs it does not address....
    You can draw similarities from an old job to a newer one. Plus they have some mainstays that probably havent changed a ton: auto mechanic, shop clerk, optician...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The key factor to keep in mind while reading that particular book is the advent of computers. We are exponentially more dependent on them today than from back when the book was published. Always good to know your history, though. And always good to have more information at your disposal. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best bet here is to really really know the lenses you dispense - and then talk to the people you are fitting and learn about what they do. I think a "book" or reference like that MIOPE could be dangerous because if dispensers think they can simplify it to that level they may neglect to ask a question. Sure 90% of people who do a certain occupation might have certain needs, but what if this one person also wants to be able to wear they're glasses and stand up to go to a different station or something. If you don't have an in depth conversation with that person and just say, "Oh you are a research scientist/carpenter/clerk this is the lens for you" they may be back in a week with complaints.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tallboy I totally agree that you have to know the lenses and that you have to talk to the patient to find out their needs.
    However, patients do not always indicate all their visual needs in a broad way. It is necessary to interrogate them and it is easier
    to ask about a topic that you know, even if it is a superficial way, than to talk about a topic that you do not know about.
    For example. If the patient plays golf and you too, it is much easier to talk with the patient to know their personal needs and recommend the appropriate glasses.
    however it is very difficult to know every profession, sport and other activities and their visual needs.
    This is where the book could help us to have a theoretical knowledge of the visual needs of many activity.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I do not know yet.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great point Dr. Miope, such a tool used as a starting point would be very helpful.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vision Van 01.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	13948

Back in the day I did Rx safety eyewear exclusively in the New England area. Having dispensed thousands of pairs of safety glasses over the years I feel confident in saying "there ain't no stinkin book such as you are asking for."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    PM an email address and I can send you a research project done less than 15 years ago from a highly respected optometrist / researcher out of a recognized optometric university that highlights 90 different occupations / sports. The PDF files are too big to upload here.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    PM an email address and I can send you a research project done less than 15 years ago from a highly respected optometrist / researcher out of a recognized optometric university that highlights 90 different occupations / sports. The PDF files are too big to upload here.
    Is this an open invitation for anyone on this thread?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sure why not.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This one?

Visual Ergonomics Handbook

TABLE 8.1

Checklist of Visual Job Analysis

1. Job description (including qualifications relative to type of training and skills) with standard code number.
    2. Distance or distances (distance for acuity and/or near acuity) in inches or feet from eyes of worker to point of operation, fixed or changing.
    3. Motion of work (distance and near muscle balance): slow or rapid rotation, vertical or horizontal, fixed or intermittent.
    4. Size of central working area, depth perception factors (stereopsis).
    5. Type of visual attention required: fixed or changing, casual or concentrated, detailed or
      gross (or listed as perfect, average or defective permissible; or as class A, B, or C).
    6. Colors to be perceived and discriminated.
    7. Foot candles of illumination at workpoint, as well as in surrounding area. Direction of
      light (note any harmful shadows). Reflected or direct glares (to be eliminated if possible).
      Brightness ratios (avoid sharp contrasts).
    8. Color of light source and work area (functional painting, etc.).
    9. Type of working surface: glossy or non-glossy, slightly or grossly uneven. Angle of
      working surface. Position of work in relation to normal level of eyes, viz., does worker have to look down, ahead, or upward (determine whether bifocals are permissible or a handicap).
    10. Eye hazards: flying objects, particles of dusts, fumes, splashing chemicals, or molten metal; airborne matter; radiation, etc.
    11. Type of eye protection required.

http://www.ssu.ac.ir/cms/fileadmin/u...c_handbook.pdf
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information