Thread: Billing Question: Nursing Homes

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Billing Question: Nursing Homes

Fellow Opticians,

Need some help with this one...

I am providing a service to nursing homes (99304 & 99308). I am reading and documenting eyeglasses to make them apart of the medical record. The Home I work with encouraged me to get Medicaid certified as a provider, so that I could bill for my services. I am certified in Ohio as a Medicaid provider and was directed by a representative to use these service codes to bill at Nursing Homes and Assisted Living facilities.

THE $164,000 QUESTION is: what diagnosis code can I use to bill and get paid? I found these codes: Z97.3 & Z02.2. Are they ones to use... or are there other more appropriate codes? The answer to that question opens the door to Medicare and other insurances.

Thanks

Kevin W.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you say that you are reading and documenting eyeglasses, I assume you are doing neutralizations in a lensometer and them recording the eyeglass power in their medical record.

Easiest way to is to file a claim and see if you receive a check. The Z97.3 seems more appropriate if you are doing neutralizations.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    YES! I am neutralizing glasses and creating an "Intake" form for the Nursing home/facilities. I discovered that I must first do an Initial visit and follow-up visits are then billed as "subsequent" visits. This has become a MAJOR concern for facilities as they are responsible (Misappropriation of Property) for any items (clothes, shoes, hearing aids, glasses, etc) that are lost; while someone is in their care. In addition, I tag the frames to limit loss and do any needed repairs an adjustments, so that they won't have to leave the facility with a residents property. Nice to finally utilize my years of experience (and tools/equipment) towards something that is appreciated!

I DID find the appropriate codes to bill! They were verified by the State of Ohio Medicaid Department. Proof will be when payment comes in!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're adjusting then there's always Z46.0 but it seems like you've got it figured out. Fingers are crossed for you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kudos to you Kevin. Thank you for helping our elderly, and you certainly should be compensated for it!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Kudos to you Kevin. Thank you for helping our elderly, and you certainly should be compensated for it!
    Thanks! First appointments are next week!

Thread Information