Thread: Do you use hand lotion?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you use hand lotion?

I am constantly sanitizing and washing my hands these days.
    My hands get extremely dry and wrinkly.
    But when I put hand lotion on and touch frames or lenses.... not the best combination.
    Greasy fingerprints all over.

Do you use hand lotion?
    What are your solutions? Hand lotion or alternative recommendations?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gloves would be the only perfect alternative. You could use soft cloth "dispensing" gloves after washing and lotioning, that should be good for keeping lotion off lenses in the short term, but the gloves will get lotiony themselves so you'll go through a bunch of pairs a day and regularly launder. Less appealing but more effective, water-tight rubber gloves. You won't need to lotion after washing because your hands don't get wet, and after soaping and drying your gloves will be squeaky clean. You could always just don the rubber gloves for mass cleaning, then doff the rest of the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you thought about a different sanitizer? Every physician that I've ever gone to sanitizes before they touch me and they seem to have soft hands, that aren't dry and wrinkled.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Have you thought about a different sanitizer? Every physician that I've ever gone to sanitizes before they touch me and they seem to have soft hands, that aren't dry and wrinkled.
    The sanitizer does make a difference. The best ones aren't overly drying and the tocopherol in them is enough to prevent drying of the hands. But the better ones tend to be more expensive. It is worth it though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since covid I ALWAYS use rubber gloves. I even sanitize those as needed too. Saves my hands incredibly. Then I will use hand sanitizer once in a while at work but since my hands are in the gloves, they are clean. I switch them out between patients as necessary. Also, I have been using Eucerin Diabetic cream. It works great if your hands are dry and cracked. I know using gloves isn't very environment friendly, but my hands were bleeding and ready to fall off my body. The gloves have saved them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks!!!

I am not sure why, but I just can't use gloves.
    Latex or rubber gloves give me rashes, and cloth gloves are extremely uncomfortable.

I haven't thought much about changing the hand sanitizer.
    I thought more in terms of changing the hand lotion.
    That actually sounds like a good idea to have a less drying hand sanitizer.

You guys are the best

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Since covid I ALWAYS use rubber gloves. I even sanitize those as needed too. Saves my hands incredibly. Then I will use hand sanitizer once in a while at work but since my hands are in the gloves, they are clean. I switch them out between patients as necessary. Also, I have been using Eucerin Diabetic cream. It works great if your hands are dry and cracked. I know using gloves isn't very environment friendly, but my hands were bleeding and ready to fall off my body. The gloves have saved them.
    In Covid we have to be careful. I think using too much sanitizer and gloves is not good we have not to use these too much but I heard about Eucerin Diabetic Cream is good.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by saeromida View Post
    Thanks!!!

I am not sure why, but I just can't use gloves.
    Latex or rubber gloves give me rashes, and cloth gloves are extremely uncomfortable.

I haven't thought much about changing the hand sanitizer.
    I thought more in terms of changing the hand lotion.
    That actually sounds like a good idea to have a less drying hand sanitizer.

You guys are the best
    Which rubbers do you have an issue with? If it's Nitrile, then you still have the option of PVC, neoprene, and artificial isoprene. It would be basically unheard of to react to all of them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Which rubbers do you have an issue with? If it's Nitrile, then you still have the option of PVC, neoprene, and artificial isoprene. It would be basically unheard of to react to all of them.

The one I wore was Nitrile, and then I don't think I explored all types. The easiest gloves I could get were latex and nitrile, and after getting some rashes and bumps on my hands I just stopped using any types of gloves altogether.

I bought a couple of different hand sanitizers that claims to be for sensitive skin and that hydrates- so I will see if those work.
    So far, they are much better than the one I have been currently using.

Thread Information