Thread: Need to change from Zeiss individual 2 to another lens

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need to change from Zeiss individual 2 to another lens

Hi,
    I need some advice. I need to change a pt form a Zeiss individual lens to another lens. What would you suggest. Thnaks

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by For Eyes View Post
    Hi,
    I need some advice. I need to change a pt form a Zeiss individual lens to another lens. What would you suggest. Thnaks
    The Individual 2 has multiple modalities. What is the issue, which modality did you order, what is the pt discomfort? The ID2 comes with a steep price. Perhaps it’s more of a price issue?

if we are to advise, we will need more insights.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is not problem except I cannot get the Zeiss lenses any longer. The lab I need to use can no longer do Zeiss Lenses. So am Looking for a similar hard design lens.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not sure "hard design" is a thing anymore. I think that terminology is dated. I think you mean a PAL design that is heavily weighted for distance vision, right? Does your lab do IOT? Hoya? Essilor-Shamir?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True, "hard" and "soft" designs no longer exist in the modern digitally-designed models. I think you called it perfectly about the type of design the OP's looking for drk. Zeiss has always been staunchly vehement about "zero distortion above the 180", which means it's all pushed into the lower peripheries creating more dramatic unwanted astigmatism there. I don't know what's the best equivalent, but I recommend against any Varilux. They are realistically pragmatic about their designs and find most wearers are very tolerant of all sorts of blur and distortion, so they have no qualms about spreading that throughout the lens. I think Zeiss and Varilux designs are the most different from each other, everyone else falls somewhere on a spectrum in between.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    True, "hard" and "soft" designs no longer exist in the modern digitally-designed models. I think you called it perfectly about the type of design the OP's looking for drk. Zeiss has always been staunchly vehement about "zero distortion above the 180", which means it's all pushed into the lower peripheries creating more dramatic unwanted astigmatism there. I don't know what's the best equivalent, but I recommend against any Varilux. They are realistically pragmatic about their designs and find most wearers are very tolerant of all sorts of blur and distortion, so they have no qualms about spreading that throughout the lens. I think Zeiss and Varilux designs are the most different from each other, everyone else falls somewhere on a spectrum in between.
    I honestly wish these terms were still used... or maybe that we had a hardness meter for lenses because certainly some designs will be harder or softer. Also, if the lens happens to be the 2N then something like a comfort Max can work since it's rather good for reading.

Anyways, advice for OP: At some point you have to hold your nose and pick something. Odds are 50/50 that they might really like the new one that you picked for them. A lot of people can go between all kinds of progressives and aren't really bothered.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice Pro 9000 View Post
    I honestly wish these terms were still used... or maybe that we had a hardness meter for lenses because certainly some designs will be harder or softer.
    Lens maps or contour plots should give you this information, provided you could actually get them from the manufacturers.

Thread Information