Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=vic4eyes;297139][QUOTE=Jo;8063]

Now my search for an answer. What is anyone's method for removing a lens from a grooved rimless mount whithout chipping it when it is in there good and extra snug.

[QUOTE]
    90% of these lenses can be mounted or unmounted with your fingernail. If it's too tight for that, use a scalpel to cut the line between the holes in the eyewire, then restring. Lots faster and safer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vic: Cut the dam*ed fishing line. It's cheap you can replace it.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Axis pliers help

If the lens is too tight to get the ribbon or (fishing line) under the monofilament around the lens, try twisting the lens with axis pliers until you have a place or opening to slide the ribbon in. If the lens is still too tight heat it a little and it will usually loosen up.
    Last edited by Eva; 05-21-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: misspelling

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

salt and bead pans

hears another little thing you can do with your salt and bead pans, to have different heats, push the salt or beads up to one end of the pan, if you want a little less heat use the topmost part, if you want more heat go further down

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Temples or earrings

For all you newbys out there. Please clip those temples instead of wrapping them around so that they look like earrings.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What! You mean use tools on them? Use personal judgement on how long it should be? We all know the factory knows best. We all know that in today's world "One size fits all."

You just tryin, to get us all bumfuzzeled!

Chip

Next thing you says you gonna be tryin to tell us that the temple tips ain't sposed to be bent down at 90 degrees or touch the ear anywhere but at the top.

Why the very idea!
    Last edited by chip anderson; 05-29-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Next thing

Bad address email on file 4UrEyesOnly's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva View Post
    If the lens is still too tight heat it a little and it will usually loosen up.
    the last thing you should be doing is putting heat around a lens
    unless you like a nicely crazed lens!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

question?

hi my name is gaynor and i am half way through a clinical assistant course and i am looking for some help with a question please . why would a px require two different reading adds thanks.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    pegasus,

in the first place that sounds like a homework question and no body here is going to do your homework for you. second, you are asking this question in entirely the wrong place. don't drag existing threads off topic. start a new thread if you have a new topic of discussion.

also, it's not px it's rx. the symbol combines the tail of the r and one of the diagonals of the x

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Zorg En Hoop, Paramaribo, Suriname, Suriname
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question: Contact lens suppliers for opticians

Hi, my name is ricky chin , and I'm an dispensing optician in suriname South-america

I need help. I'm trying to find a new contactlens supplier
    I found websites like AClens ,1-800lens, lens.com. But everyone of them doesn't sell to opticians

Can you show me a company that does all the brands and sells to opticians.
    I ship everyting I order via miami to suriname.

Please advise?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Mid-South Contact Lens, in Memphis Tenn.
    Mid-South Contact Lens
    Contact Lenses
    2065 Nonconnah Blvd.
    Memphis, TN 38132
    800 735 6662

I am an independent optician and have never had any lab refuse to sell contact lenses to me. Most manufacturer's will sell direct to you once a credit app has been approved.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Zorg En Hoop, Paramaribo, Suriname, Suriname
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started with AC lens. everything went well. credit was approved. even got a special discount as an optician. the only problem was that they wanted a prescription for every single order. that takes up to much time. I had to fax every prescription to them.
    we came to a agreement, he would ship everything , but he wanted to ship it directly. I told them that the way I get my orders to suriname is via miami a shipping company called laparkan. shipping it directly would be to costly.

Bad address email on file 4UrEyesOnly's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee joe View Post
    pegasus,

in the first place that sounds like a homework question and no body here is going to do your homework for you. second, you are asking this question in entirely the wrong place. don't drag existing threads off topic. start a new thread if you have a new topic of discussion.

also, it's not px it's rx. the symbol combines the tail of the r and one of the diagonals of the x

:finger:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAActually Px is the medical short hand for patient!
    Basically the reason the PX would have two different RX's for the reading could be a post cataract patient (one eye has accommodation ability and the other doesn’t). Alternately It could just be someone with two very different distance corrections, as a result different accommodation between the eyes.
    :p

Occupation
    4UrEyesOnly;

that's interesting about px. i'm pretty sure i heard that many years ago, but i totally forgot it. thanks. but, do you really think we should be doing someone's homework for them? isn't that generally concidered cheating?

ricky chin;

hi, i'm really not trying to be rude when i say this, but why oh why would you post off topic in a thread who's last post was about not posting off topic?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

sorry

i didnt mean to post off topic i m new here and didnt realise i thought it as a tips on dispensing board. thank you to the people who gave me the answer to my question that wasnt homework just i task i had to find the answer to as i was asked the question by a px ( patient) and had to ask my director who wouldnt tell me the answer lol andtold me to go on the internet and find out .:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cleaning

suggest to your patients, especially the ones with AR, that they take thier glasses and give them a good twice over cleaning with warm water and a liquid detergent, at least twice a week, and then use an approved spray cleaner afterwoods.

so much grease builds up in places like the nose pads, upper part of the frame where it may hit the eyebrows, that you tend to miss a lot of the grease that is on the glasses.

once grease is spread thin enough it starts to look clear, and you think you have the glasses clean, when in fact they are still full of grease, which now becomes a magnet for every little piece of dirt there is.

on a perfectly clean glass you can usually blow any dust right off, when the lenses are greasy it tends to stick.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once had very young twin boys come to get glasses. Mother noticed one of them was missing glasses at home and she coundn't find them. She finally asked the child were they were.
    Child replied: "In the dishwasher, momma. That's where you clean glasses!"
    I have often wondered if this was a bad idea. I have also often wished I had some sort of commericial dishwasher to put all my inventory and display frames in at the end of the day, where I could come in the morning and put them back on the shelf spotless and finger print free.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I learnt somethin this week-end.

While watching "Cool Tools" I learned that titanium (tools in this case) does not get hot in the sun as other metals do. I assume this has something to do with this being why it was selected by the Skunkworks for the Blackbird and why we can't weld and solder it by ordinary means.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

software for Topcon TRC-NW6S?

I have just purchased a used topcon trc nw6s retinal camera and computer that the software had been compromised do the hospital erasing patient data before selling. The disk can not be found and topcon wants to charge $8000 for new software. Any suggestions. Please help..

Mike

Occupation

Lightbulb stripping tough ar

if you get an ar coating that you're having trouble stripping (the chemicals won't get it totally off), you can get the remainder of it off by taking a polishing pad, wet it with polish, and rub the lens with the pad by hand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The other reason for two adds on an Rx is for trifocals, ie...+1.50/+3.00

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

semi rimless frames and tilt

When dispensing these type frames it is very typical to see these frames sitting very straight up and down with no tilt, and sometimes even some retroscoptic tilt.

this can present an immense problem when dispensed to hyperopes especially. If you are dispensing one of these frames and it is sitting with no panto and you have a +2.00 dis and a +2.50 add, that patient is probably going to have a reading problem.

these frames are typically very hard to bend to 8 - 10 degrees of pano without breaking the frame. If you need to bend it and feel you can it is proably best to do it while the demonstration lenses are in place, so you do not chip the actual lenses.

The best solution however is to make sure you have one with the correct amount of tilt to start with, which can be done with the right bridge size and the right splay angle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optical centers

heres a quick way to find an optical center on a single vision lens, if your focimeter happens to blow a bulb and you do not have a spare.

place the lens in your hand and look through it across the room at a dark thin straight line, move the lens back and forth horizontally until you see no movement, and draw a small 1 inch line.

now turn the lens 90 degrees and do the same thing, and put a dot on the line where you see no more movement, there is your optical center, close enough for all practical purposes:cheers:

Occupation

Confused

Good presence of mind, before you told him to cruise the mall, did u told him that it is broken?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeCon View Post
    Here's one I've wanted to try ever since we've posted, " Frame repairs will be performed at the customers risk ".

Customer comes in for an adjustment on his old ( really old ) heavy, black frames, kinda like what B&L has ( Wayfarers )...The axis was off in one lens...So I take the frame and have them under the hot-air ( don't like using glass beads on plastic frames ) just enough so I can feel the lens turn slightly!....Wham, the frame splits at the bridge and all of sudden I've got two pieces...I told the customer to let me have them for about an hour...cruise the mall, come back in about hour. I drilled two holes at equal distance at the bridge, straightened a paper clip, made a U-hook pattern out of it and threaded the two holes, snipped the excess brushed on a little Lock-Tight and covered the shine with black magic marker!...The mans vision was what it should be; he said the frame felt sturdier than before. He thanked me for a job well done and off he went...I'll never do this again ever, especially with a plastic frame that felt like two thicknesses of a potatoe chip to begin with.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL Markings

I think the best way to take off progressive markings is with the high percentage alcohol, I think its like 91%. Its like 2 bucks at any drug/department store. Put it in alcohol dispenser that you tap to come up (whatever they're called), use a swab and VIOLA.. gone fast and cheap! Hope this isn't a repeat but I'm sure it is with 35 pages :o

Thread Information