Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this revolutionize ophthalmic lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this revolutionize ophthalmic lenses?

So I just came across this story in google news:

So it looks like they've solved the issue of spherical and astigmatic aberrations in biaspheric SV surfaces to a 1 billionth of a percent accuracy.

Now with not having access to the full article, I don't know if it solves the issue for all spherical biaspheric lenses or includes lenses that all also astigmatic (assuming they even cover in this the article as these are optical physicists)

I don't understand the math of progressive lenses enough to know if this can solution can be extended to the distortion issues of progressive lenses but this looks like an exciting development.

I think their solution invovles a system of lenses?

Comment

Originally posted by jpways View Post

So it looks like they've solved the issue of spherical and astigmatic aberrations in biaspheric SV surfaces to a 1 billionth of a percent accuracy.

Now with not having access to the full article, I don't know if it solves the issue for all spherical biaspheric lenses or includes lenses that all also astigmatic (assuming they even cover in this the article as these are optical physicists)

I don't understand the math of progressive lenses enough to know if this can solution can be extended to the distortion issues of progressive lenses but this looks like an exciting development.
      It appears the formulas only apply to flat image planes, such as telescope and camera lenses. However, the image plane of the eye is curved, because the eye rotates behind the spectacle lens, requiring a different approach.

WRT progressive lens technology, I believe we've hit a brick wall constructed of the physical laws of the universe. The next step will probably be electroactive, pharma, or biological based solutions.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
      Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

[WRT progressive lens technology, I believe we've hit a brick wall constructed of the physical laws of the universe. The next step will probably be electroactive, pharma, or biological based solutions.]

But we haven't gotten to the Big E "Y" & "Z" improvements yet.
        Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
          But we haven't gotten to the Big E "Y" & "Z" improvements yet.
          The revolution was over decades ago. Evolution is nearing its end. Marketing is forever.

Robert
          Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by jpways View Post

No !
            Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Working...
            X