Thread: Sanitizing Frames

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sanitizing Frames

We've been sanitizing each frame any patient tries on using HOCl, then wiping it down after about 30 seconds. I'm just curious how everyone else is sanitizing frames patients try on? Or if you're sanitizing them at all?
    Thanks!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've been using UV sanitizers. That said, the main method of transmission for COVID isn't through touch, so while I try to get each and every one in there, I'm not stressing if I miss one or two here or there. That said, there ARE other illnesses that contact poses a greater risk of transmissibility (hello cold and flu season). The UV boxes are nice, and take way less focused effort than wiping them down. So on busy days, I can load some frames to clean, help patient, take a few seconds when that load is done to swap out, and carry on

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We are also using a UV box.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wiping them down with diluted simple green.

The virus transmits through the air and survives a minute or two at most away from a host outside controlled laboratory conditions.

Extra precautions taken if they are not vaccinated but that may be a once a week occurrence here for someone immune compromised as the vast majority of those I work with are highly educated and understand how effective vaccines are. Not just for covid!

"The COVID-19 virus can spread via direct contact, airborne transmission, or through droplets. There have also been a few reported cases potentially spread through surfaces. But the risk of this is very low. The chance of COVID-19 surface transmission is less than 1 in 10,000."

https://tinyurl.com/33bzndpv

Also:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    "The COVID-19 virus can spread via direct contact, airborne transmission, or through droplets. There have also been a few reported cases potentially spread through surfaces. But the risk of this is very low. The chance of COVID-19 surface transmission is less than 1 in 10,000."
    I am fully aware that the frame sanitizing we are doing is basically hygiene theatre, but it doesn't take much time and it can't hurt, so....
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I am fully aware that the frame sanitizing we are doing is basically hygiene theater, but it doesn't take much time and it can't hurt, so....
    Just be sure you're using glasses with 100% UV filters when you're around the machine and it's on.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    So whats the big deal with sanitizing frames all of a suddden. In the past, we have not found it necessary to bother with any hygenic measures to prevent the transmission of the common Cold, Influenza or flu, Strep throat, Pink eye, Gastroenteritis, Fifth disease, Chicken pox, Chlamydia, Tuberculosis, Herpes, Malaria and good old Hepatitis.
    Last edited by rbaker; 10-29-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We lick all of ours.

Repeatedly.

Squeaky clean. Plus - tastes great! Also, less filling.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I am fully aware that the frame sanitizing we are doing is basically hygiene theatre, but it doesn't take much time and it can't hurt, so....
    Yeah we do the same, it is most definitely hygiene theater.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, we haven't been sanitizing frames. My employer feels it's sufficient to just ask patients to use hand sanitizer before handling the frames. So far no one has licked a frame... yet. Now, we do go through the frames at least weekly and clean the lenses and pads when we have time. We sell from the board, so I don't know if I would want to throw a bunch of frames into a basket and wash them every time someone tries them on, as it seems some optical shops are doing based on the Opticians on Facebook posts showing baskets packed full of frames haphazardly tossed together. The frames could get scratched or damaged. If a patient feels strongly about it, I'll throw it in the ultrasonic, then spray with alcohol or let it sit under the UV lamp we use to test photochromics.
    Krystle

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I'm outta the loop. Maybe I've been working too hard. Are we still supposed to be acting like the cooties on frames are dangerous? Does it depend on your location? Has anyone asked Dr. Fauchi about this?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    I guess I'm outta the loop. Maybe I've been working too hard. Are we still supposed to be acting like the cooties on frames are dangerous? Does it depend on your location? Has anyone asked Dr. Fauci about this?
    Yes he has commented some time ago in fact.
    Must you always troll?

"Even nearly six months into the coronavirus pandemic, scientists and medical experts are still uncovering more information every day that helps us better understand COVID-19. That being said, the onslaught of evolving information can also create confusing, constant change when it comes to the best ways to stay safe and reduce our covid-19 risk. Perhaps the most important of those topics is exactly how the corona virus spreads. Initial warnings from medical experts had all of us concerned about wiping down common surfaces and everything we brought into the house. But according to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci, MD, it's actually very unlikely you'd get coronavirus from an inanimate object."

https://bestlifeonline.com/coronavirus-surfaces/
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-05-2021 at 08:44 AM.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, we do the theatrics for the customer, and we paid $$ for the UV box, so we might as well use it. It is easy to keep the frames cycled and back on the board. And it allows us the time to wipe down the frames to remove finger prints on the lenses and remove the makeup from the nosepads.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I don't think you're going to get covid from a surface, the frames are on your face and the mask makes them fog up with your breath. We clean the pupilometer, why not clean the frame too. We use the UV box for that to avoid chemicals that can ruin the finish on the frames. In exam rooms they clean the occluder, what's the difference? They both touch the face. Do I clean my pens... meh, once in a while I'll hit them with UV. All I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt. Why does it have to be a big deal and a big argument with people. Do what you want. This is what our office does. If people don't like that we clean more then they can go somewhere else.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Yes he has commented some time ago in fact.
    Must you always troll?

"Even nearly six months into the coronavirus pandemic, scientists and medical experts are still uncovering more information every day that helps us better understand COVID-19. That being said, the onslaught of evolving information can also create confusing, constant change when it comes to the best ways to stay safe and reduce our covid-19 risk. Perhaps the most important of those topics is exactly how the corona virus spreads. Initial warnings from medical experts had all of us concerned about wiping down common surfaces and everything we brought into the house. But according to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci, MD, it's actually very unlikely you'd get coronavirus from an inanimate object."

https://bestlifeonline.com/coronavirus-surfaces/
    Oh, please.... relax a little. It was a little sarcasm.

Call me a troll if you like... I'll just keep laughing at all of you who 'Play along' according to what those 'in the know' tell you to do. Keep up the act! Sheep!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Call me a troll if you like... I'll just keep laughing at all of you who 'Play along' according to what those 'in the know' tell you to do. Keep up the act! Sheep!
    I only need a couple sales I wouldn't normally get to pay for the UV lightbox. And I think I have had many more than that, I have seen peoples' visible relief (even through a mask which is hard to do ^_^) when they see everything they try on has been put in the light box first. Science, pseudo-science or only a psychosomatic effect, I truly do not care. Call me a sheep, I'll just keep on keeping on

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Knock it off. You already ruined one thread for everyone. If you want to be a troll, then there are plenty of places that will welcome you. OptiBoard is not one of them.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Knock it off. You already ruined one thread for everyone. If you want to be a troll, then there are plenty of places that will welcome you. OptiBoard is not one of them.
    You ever look in the mirror and think "Damn, that guy takes himself a little too seriously?"

C'mon man... relax a little. Differing opinions (and and sometimes a large dose of sarcasm) are the spice of life.

I've teased you before about cancel culture. If I'm that damn offensive and out there, ban me. I promise I'll miss you almost as much as you miss me. Or you can grow a slightly thicker skin. I promise, the latter will serve you well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    I only need a couple sales I wouldn't normally get to pay for the UV lightbox. And I think I have had many more than that, I have seen peoples' visible relief (even through a mask which is hard to do ^_^) when they see everything they try on has been put in the light box first. Science, pseudo-science or only a psychosomatic effect, I truly do not care. Call me a sheep, I'll just keep on keeping on
    See!? That's what I'm talking about! I teased a little... you stood your ground, defended your stance and all is well. You do you. I'll do me. No harm, no foul. Neither of us is 100% right nor 100% wrong. Sounds like freedom to act as we see fit in our own circumstances? I like it. Carry on sir. Respect.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    See!? That's what I'm talking about! I teased a little... you stood your ground, defended your stance and all is well. You do you. I'll do me. No harm, no foul. Neither of us is 100% right nor 100% wrong. Sounds like freedom to act as we see fit in our own circumstances? I like it. Carry on sir. Respect.
    This isn't your playground to troll people with and calling people 'sheep' is not respect. You're right, I won't miss you.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information