Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSP just bought Visionworks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trying to lobby against the advancement of technology is a losing proposition IMHO. Regardless, I don't think there is any possible way you are going to get that many ODs to agree on any one direction to spend the funds toward, even if you could squeeze the money out of them. Like Uilleann said, ODs are that continue to support a model(VCPs) that would rather see them out of business, is the problem. I'm sure VSP is very pro tele-health as well. If the ODs haven't seen the light by now, they probably can't be saved.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    You don't think you will lose your VSP members when they get twice the "benefit" going to VW instead of your store?
    I will lose a handful. But we provide knowledge, service, technology, and relationships that VW can't possibly match. I'm very comfortable with the way we are positioned in our business community.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trying to lobby against the advancement of technology is a losing proposition IMHO. Regardless, I don't think there is any possible way you are going to get that many ODs to agree on any one direction to spend the funds toward, even if you could squeeze the money out of them. Like Uilleann said, ODs are that continue to support a model(VCPs) that would rather see them out of business, is the problem. I'm sure VSP is very pro tele-health as well. If the ODs haven't seen the light by now, they probably can't be saved.
    Actually the big money from what I understand is in the medical side which they nibble away at to the Ophthalmologists chagrin.
    I think they do lobby on a state level but with national healthcare front and center in this election cycle I wonder if they might benefit from a seat at Schumer and Pelosi's table. I'll bet $500,000 to each campaign would get their attention* and a one on one sit down.

*Dangerous Post* I'm on thin ice so be nice in political comments please. Politeness will keep a discussion going. Nasty cynicism will kill this thread fast.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I will lose a handful. But we provide knowledge, service, technology, and relationships that VW can't possibly match. I'm very comfortable with the way we are positioned in our business community.
    Then why do you need VSP? I'm sure your business is fantastic and you do provide all of those things. But, your statements seem contradictory. You will lose 30% of your customers if you stop taking VSP, implying the only reason they are coming to your store is for VSP "discounts". But if they get a far better discount elsewhere, you will only lose a handful. What happened to the 30% that were only there for the discount? Also, getting a better benefit at Vision World vs your store is a best case scenario. More likely, is VSP just slowly drops places that aren't VW as providers.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Then why do you need VSP? I'm sure your business is fantastic and you do provide all of those things. But, your statements seem contradictory. You will lose 30% of your customers if you stop taking VSP, implying the only reason they are coming to your store is for VSP "discounts". But if they get a far better discount elsewhere, you will only lose a handful. What happened to the 30% that were only there for the discount? Also, getting a better benefit at Vision World vs your store is a best case scenario. More likely, is VSP just slowly drops places that aren't VW as providers.
    My statement isn't contradictory at all. You are equating "VSP benefit vs. no benefit" with "Private practice VSP benefit vs. VisionWorks VSP benefit." The two things aren't the same.

My old practice down the road dropped Davis Vision a couple years ago. We still take Davis. Guess who's seeing a whole lot of Davis patients who used to be down the road? Ditching VSP because we thing the VisionWorks sky is falling would be precipitous at best, foolish at worst.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ditto me..glad Im nearing the end!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe I am in a similar situation as Andrew, we are by far the best rated optical in town, the only MVC we take is VSP and we mainly do because we always have, we don't accept any other MVC. The other reason we accept it is obviously the bottom line and if/when that is not adding up you better believe I will have a business plan to pivot and move forward without them.

As is now I'm going to keep cashing those checks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Man, the narrow mindedness of some of the people on this topic is pretty amazing.

VSP still works with independant ODs and isn't trying to create private companies to control them like NVI, Site For Sore Eyes, or Lux does. The criteria for credentialing hasn't changed ad isn't likely to. There isn't a "fast track" for ODs working with VSP projects.

VSP isn't a "non-profit", it's a "not for profit", and the is pretty well known and published info.

The point of brick and mortar projects for VSP, I imagine, is to capture network leakage. It's an attempt to stem the flow of patients to Lux and non-VSP ODs. In fact, VSP has been increasing the benefits of being a Premiere Practice in an attempt to encourage ODs to help get VSP patients into their practices.
    I have a website. I post stuff there. Some people think it is cool.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ha! That's quite a sales pitch. Sadly, still doesn't change the fact that VSP is absolutely NOT in the business of helping private ODs - only themselves. The billions they collect in profit make that painfully clear - to say nothing of their overt business practices.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Ha! That's quite a sales pitch. Sadly, still doesn't change the fact that VSP is absolutely NOT in the business of helping private ODs - only themselves. The billions they collect in profit make that painfully clear - to say nothing of their overt business practices.
    I've worked at quite a few private practices that saw VSP members they wouldn't otherwise have seen if it weren't for the coverage and exposure VSP provides.

Far better than Eyemed, Spectera, Davis, MES, etc by all measures.

What exactly does VSP do that other insurance providers don't?

Hell, Davis and Spectera are way more restrictive and give nothing back to ODs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatesjoke View Post
    In fact, VSP has been increasing the benefits of being a Premiere Practice in an attempt to encourage ODs to help get VSP patients into their practices.
    There is absolutely nothing altruistic about the premier program.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not saying that there is, but that's the point of the relationship; VSP makes it easier for patients to find Premier Practices and those practices in turn see more patients, patients they would not have otherwise seen.

The requirements for the program aren't exactly money losers for practices if they take advantage of them properly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The requirements for the program aren't exactly money losers for practices if they take advantage of them properly.
    sure why not be like every other McVSP out there. I don't own my own business to work for someone else and have them tell me what to sell and how to advertise.

I'd rather do things my way and be ready to pivot when it becomes more corporate and ditch them than play their stupid chinese frame game.

Not a fan of the $100 premier practice "gift card" a patient brought in last week, of course she threw it in the trash can after I told her we weren't premier, although we are the number one patient rated.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 08-14-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...VSP makes it easier for patients to find Premier Practices and those practices in turn see more patients, patients they would not have otherwise seen....
    This is hardly an advantage - when it takes seeing 10 VSP clients to 1 normal patient. That's the problem with all these ridiculous plans though isn't it. VSP's likes their money (BILLIONS in profits) FAR too much to truly help either client or practitioner. LOL

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Us Opticians (especially seasoned ones) have seen the chains and Insurance companies diminish and de-value our profession. ODs cannot afford our knowledge and the Chains will not pay and are constantly lobbying to get Licenses removed. I truly believe that we (Opticians) must specialize in Lenses and offer things that the chains and Privates do not. I am starting to offer Glass (yes GLASS), specialty lenses, repairs (a lost art) and fit High Rx/Prisms. Chains only go to 6 total diopters of prism and do not touch any difficult Rx's. Specialization will be our only way to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    There will be a big asterisk in the “Doctor must own 51% to be accredited “.... (*Except doctors affiliated with our corporate owned stores)....

You doc’s that feed the beast by signing up on their (and other) insurance programs now get to enjoy a big disadvantage trying to compete for your local market share. I will bet a bright shiny PD stick that VW will be a “Premiere “ provider. Bigger discounts and incentives for members to use their own locations.

The writing has has been on the wall for years that VSP has wanted and craved a National chain to purchase so they can control where their members go to purchase. They envy eyemed having LC. Once they have enough market saturation they will be dropping independents and/or dropping reimbursement to the independent outlayers....

This is bad news also for Opticianry. Since most Opticians work at locations that take insurance, your doc is going to see a squeeze on income and profit which will affect how much he/she can afford to pay you...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw this 3 years ago that VSP were going to buy VW. My former DM at the time laughed it off. He is nervous for his job now and emailed me recently (saying I called it). Having worked there, we received a TON of Altair frames and took VSP (we were NOT allowed to say it was VSP though). Is a good fit, as VSP is going to combat ESS/LUX. Private practices will be left in tatters.

Thread Information