Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warby Parker pays for PD's and Adjustments

Bad address email on file Greg Hazard's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Warby Parker pays for PD's and Adjustments

I am charging $50 for a PD and $50 for all Warby Parker adjustments!

Just give the customer a receipt and they will reimburse them for the service!

My days of free PD's and free adjustments are now a thing of the past.

If they don't want to pay they can leave through the same door the came in through!!

Stop doing PD's and adjustments for free! These people are freeloaders that will do nothing but bring down your business!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The office I work in will not give out PD measurements to people who just walk in wanting them. You have to be a patient here and had to have purchased eyewear from the office before we will even consider giving out a PD measurement. We do not charge for adjustments however.

I do not get many people who order online, whether its Warby Parker or another online retailer. Hopefully it will continue that way
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Every optician and OD in NY should go into WP and ask for their PD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hazard View Post

If they don't want to pay they can leave through the same door the came in through!!

Stop doing PD's and adjustments for free! These people are freeloaders that will do nothing but bring down your business!

Congratulations! You've just posted a thread on a topic that's been covered ~1,000 times before! You've also succeeded in confirming all of Warby Parker's commercials. Did you know that they'll reimburse your patient for those charges? While also donating glasses to the poor?

Who do you think comes out looking good in all of this?
    Who do you think comes out looking bad?
    How is that good for you?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hazard View Post

Stop fighting a war you can not possibly hope to win. By angrily reacting to WB`s strategy you have lost the initiative. Regain the initiative by welcoming those customers that come in for PD measurements and adjustments, and of course ask a reasonable fee and show them your unique selling points. And if you don`t have them, create some!
    Those people you call freeloaders are consumers who made a rational choice, and they didn`t choose you. They would have if they had an incentive to go your place instead of the internet. Stop blaming the competition , stop hating your customers and stop acting like a victim.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

Stop fighting a war you can not possibly hope to win. By angrily reacting to WB`s strategy you have lost the initiative. Regain the initiative by welcoming those customers that come in for PD measurements and adjustments, and of course ask a reasonable fee and show them your unique selling points. And if you don`t have them, create some!
    Those people you call freeloaders are consumers who made a rational choice, and they didn`t choose you. They would have if they had an incentive to go your place instead of the internet. Stop blaming the competition , stop hating your customers and stop acting like a victim.

Dirk, What a good post you just made.

Even by the rubbing it in, the economy on our side of the big pond is still not so superb, but most people have access to the internet.

The older ones that never wanted to learn how to operate a computer are slowly becoming history and will not be going to see their favorite optician anymore for their regular adjustment and some talking.

The younger next generation is now all over the web checking for products they might want or need and try out the services offered for less than the conventional retailers.

The worlds largest optical corporation has joined the optical retailers on the web big time not because they just wanted to try it. The always have studied the market trends in every microscopic detail before entering a new venture, and have well succeeded with their system until now.

I learned the optical trade in Europe, becoming a real good artisan but over here the optician calls his clients not a customer, but a patient like a doctor would. There are a few real artisan opticians left that still can be proud of the work they produced in their own shop, but the majority it seems these days are passing the orders to a lab and get it back all finished to hand over to the "patient"/customer. Therefore they act like a middleman that makes a good living passing on the goods.

Times are changing rapidly, not only in the optical, also in other areas and we all better adapt or else .......................

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    If WP bring such a big impact to optical business, why not learn from their business model and become one by yourself by naming the product.....Wasabi Peeker?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The younger next generation is now all over the web checking for products they might want or need and try out the services offered for less than the conventional retailers.
    Just last week I had a patient trying on a frame that she "loved." While still wearing the frame she had pulled it up online on her phone. The cost online was less that what we buy them for (Tom Ford). She wanted to know if we would sell her the frame at that cost minus her insurance! Like I said...It was less than what we pay for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Just last week I had a patient trying on a frame that she "loved." While still wearing the frame she had pulled it up online on her phone. The cost online was less that what we buy them for (Tom Ford). She wanted to know if we would sell her the frame at that cost minus her insurance! Like I said...It was less than what we pay for.
    Sounds like you need to drop Tom Ford as fast as you can.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Sounds like you need to drop Tom Ford as fast as you can.
    Unfortunately not my decision to make.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    tell h er to buy that frame online with her insurance... oh wait you cant...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper There was time when opticians paid the real value of the frame ...................

Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post

The cost online was less that what we buy them for (Tom Ford). She wanted to know if we would sell her the frame at that cost minus her insurance! Like I said...It was less than what we pay for.
    There was time when opticians paid the real value of the frame including custom duties and the markup by the wholesale importer or manufacturer representative.

Then the market got flooded by newer manufacturers and the retailers could play one against the other by wanting and getting frames on consignment as well as forever warranties. These days opticians overpay the actual retail value of frames, just because of the facts stated above.

No consignment nor warranties are given for free by anybody in any business domain. They are all included in the wholesale prices, which then lead to a different and higher multiplier markup by the wholesalers.

On-line sellers in any field are always considerably cheaper, and expect to make profits by selling larger quantities than a B&M store. Therefore they purchase their goods in larger quantities and get progressive higher discounts on the actual wholesale price, without all the circus of returns, exchanges and warranties.

One other thing is that frame manufacturers sell to frame brand owners certain models that will be stamped with a certain brand, but they also do sell the exact same model as a generic one at much lower prices.

There are now frame manufacturers that advertise also on the web that they are now selling smaller quantities of their products, which would allow a regular retailer purchasing at much lower prices than they can get them from a distributor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The problem is that the frame online is so cheap that buying it with no insurance is still cheaper than buying it with insurance through us. She will prob buy the frame online and then come to us to have us put the lenses in the frame and use the insurance for the lenses. Happened before. I had another patient that wasn't eligible with her insurance until a certain date. I recommended she wait because it wasn't long (1 month) and there wasn't much change. Instead, she ordered it online and with free shipping, she ended up only paying $4 more than she would have through us with insurance and didn't have to wait. Same frame. Again...price we can't compete with! This one was a Kate Spade. I did explain the warranty was through the company she purchased them through on Ebay and she was fine with that.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    1. She stole a service by showrooming you.
    2. She bought a part without a service, that is, no adjustments.

If someone showrooms me, they can forget it. I won't work with them again. They have chosen.

Needless to say I wouldn't put lenses in that frame. We don't put lenses in patients' frames that they walk in with and they're obviously new. Forget it. If they fit it's a miracle, and I'm not adjusting a frame FOR FREE or for charge that is a stupid "fit", anyway.

At this rate, pretty soon we won't work with any outside frames. But we're not there, yet.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    1. She stole a service by showrooming you.
    2. She bought a part without a service, that is, no adjustments.

If someone showrooms me, they can forget it. I won't work with them again. They have chosen.

Needless to say I wouldn't put lenses in that frame. We don't put lenses in patients' frames that they walk in with and they're obviously new. Forget it. If they fit it's a miracle, and I'm not adjusting a frame FOR FREE or for charge that is a stupid "fit", anyway.

At this rate, pretty soon we won't work with any outside frames. But we're not there, yet.
    What would be a good solution to people showrooming us? We just had this happen literally this morning before I saw this post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by adreyyy View Post
    What would be a good solution to people showrooming us? We just had this happen literally this morning before I saw this post.

Be courteous, cheerfully offer them your advice and services... for a fee. Don`t send them away when they have a badly fitting frame. Explain to them that YOU would have advised them differently, show them your skills. Of course sell them new lenses for the frame, and tell them that your warranty and free service only covers the lenses and not the frame. I always explain to people that the price of eyewear includes not only the raw materials but also the aftersales service I provide, the high tech equipment I have invested in, the knowledge and experience that I posses and the personal tailor made attention that I give. Make them doubt their decision to buy online. Only by reacting hostile you remove any doubt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use to work part time as a doorman back in the mid 70's and we charged an entrance fee to the disco. Our optical scenario, great your client/customer at the door, have them take a seat and bring the merchandise to them, all the while explaining the great services and product that we can provide them with, to enhance their vision and their experience. I don't let the customers maul the product, they can photograph a selection of frames for consideration but you have to learn to control what takes place inside the business. Start carrying products that are more unique and cater to the B and M establishments. Look, you can find most anything on the internet and most of us know that these products are used, discontinued, seconds, rip offs, and some are legit. You have to sell your services before you can sell the product.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I certainly don't do this, but I've seen opticals in NYC and malls do it: everything is behind glass or behind a frame styling counter (which I think is cool), and do what Paul says: make it a person-to-person frame style. (Don't forget those swanky type places that have all the frames in rep-like trays or drawers. Showroom that!)

You can ask for the Rx, the VCP info, etc.

I think you can smell who's just messing with you.

I also think that we can obscure the writing on the sides of the frame. How hard can that be?

FEZZ/JOHNS: You need to invent a "temple tape" that will keep patients from ever seeing the information. So they cannot steal it.
    Last edited by drk; 03-24-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Acetone works great...not that I"d ever sink so low...really, really great.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I certainly don't do this, but I've seen opticals in NYC and malls do it: everything is behind glass or behind a frame styling counter (which I think is cool), and do what Paul says: make it a person-to-person frame style. (Don't forget those swanky type places that have all the frames in rep-like trays or drawers. Showcase that!)

You can ask for the Rx, the VCP info, etc.

I think you can smell who's just messing with you.

I also think that we can obscure the writing on the sides of the frame. How hard can that be?

FEZZ/JOHNS: You need to invent a "temple tape" that will keep patients from ever seeing the information. So they cannot steal it.
    I would never obscure anything from the customer. Once you go down that path you are under their scrutiny and can lose all the trust you worked so hard at building. I believe in the product that I carry, combined with the services that I provide each one of my customers with.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

She stole a service by showrooming you.
    She did and it burns me up. I stressed we do not take responsibility for any "patient's own frames." I couldn't deny her the service of putting and RX in the frame and using her insurance. Unfortunately, it was not my decision to make. Our owners would not deny a patient for that. We could still make money off the lenses. It may have only been $1 due to insurance, but they still wouldn't turn it away. It's still $1 more than if they didn't come in. Nevermind all the time I put into making the $1.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    I would never obscure anything from the customer. Once you go down that path you are under their scrutiny and can lose all the trust you worked so hard at building. I believe in the product that I carry, combined with the services that I provide each one of my customers with.
    I would.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    In every other industry, this practice is called "shopping around" and I dread the day that other businesses begin actively plotting to prevent potential customers from doing it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I would.
    Congratulations. You're the poster child for WP.

Thread Information