Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Mels Damage??!?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What's Mels Damage??!?

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/28/gibson...leged-cover-up

I don't get it. Religious superiority. I mean - yeah, so God was bitter and whatnot at first but once he gave birth to a Son even He realized that giving was more important than taking. So how do people justify themselves in a position to pass jugement on others because of their beliefs?????

Sure Mel, blame the jews for ALL wars. What about the inquisiton or the crusades?

Can't we all just get along?

We're only human.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That was random. I think that taking things that people say when drunk off their butts is a bit silly. Is Mel an anti semite? Or is he a raving idiot under the influence of alcohol?

Do others on this board expirience personal "thought urges" then they know better than to put into play when sober?

Had Drunk Mel said to female officer ..."Honey you got a cute a$$"... Would anyone be offended?

Someone cast the second stone please. I would be willing to bet there are other alcoholcs around here that are glad they didn't/don't have to deal with their struggles in Hollywood's tabloids.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    ABC pulls Mel Gibson Holocaust miniseries-WSJNEW YORK, Aug. 1 — The ABC television network has pulled a miniseries about the Holocaust it was developing with Mel Gibson's production company, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, quoting an unidentified representative for the network.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Optical Enigma -

Having once owned a bar, worked in the bar industry and also being an active drinker I have observed that most people acting on impulse like that are not fabricating these feelings, they just aren't repressing them in order to be "diplomatic". IMHO.

I am not casting any dispersions on Mel's drinking problem, just on his rude comments and how the world could work better if there weren't the friction out there between religions. (People cause wars, not religions...)

And yes, it would have been offensive if he'd commented on the female officers butt.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Someone should remind him what religion JC was.

Sounds more like the rantings of a pathetic drunk than a neo-Nazi.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stone Casting

Who amoung us hasn't said something he shouldn't have when under the influcence (or not for that matter).
    If one of us had made these comments, we wouldn't have been in the newspaper, have Rabbi's calling us, or Priests calling us or talk show hosts.
    It would be known only to those that heard it and they probably wouldn't care.
    Give the man a break, I often think fame cannot be worth the price no matter how remunative.
    He wasn't sending money to the Catholic Jihad, or the Islamic Jihad, he just made a drunken comment.

Chip

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Heaven knows I don't need to be intoxicated to say something utterly stupid (just ask Mrs. Hanlin)...

I have seen more than one person act and say things that are completely out of character for them when they are intoxicated (which is why one should try to refrain from much drinking at company functions!!!).

All that said, when someone decides to put themselves forward as a public figure, one has to accept the- perhaps unfair- focus on their personal lives. Whether or not Mel Gibson is an anti-semite or not, the fact is he got drunk, did something illegal, and then made the mistake of opening his mouth when he wasn't in control of his faculties.

I'll still enjoy watching Braveheart, though! :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I think that there is a difference when sober, because having a bad thought and acting on it while sober are two different things. Doesn't anything make you angry that you ought not be angry at. C'mon now my girl, lest you be above us all, cast another rock at poor Mr. Gibson.

Who is more miserable, a lifelong Alcoholic, or an insulted Jew? Let us consider the source of the comment and move on.

Occupation

Stay with Mad Max

Have to agree with Optigrrl. People drop their guard when they have too much to drink and say things they are normally too prudent to say. Suggesting this tirade is totally unrelated to Mel's worldview would be like me having one too many glasses of wine and deciding to rail against, oh let me see, Bolivians or Eskimoes. Doesn't pass the laugh test. Sure puts that whole "The Passion was rife with anti-Semitism" thing into a different context.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Optical Enigma -

Having once owned a bar, worked in the bar industry and also being an active drinker I have observed that most people acting on impulse like that are not fabricating these feelings, they just aren't repressing them in order to be "diplomatic". IMHO.

I am not casting any dispersions on Mel's drinking problem, just on his rude comments and how the world could work better if there weren't the friction out there between religions. (People cause wars, not religions...)

And yes, it would have been offensive if he'd commented on the female officers butt.

Every war Man has ever fought has been for one of two reasons: Religion or Economy!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Doesn't pass the laugh test. Sure puts that whole "The Passion was rife with anti-Semitism" thing into a different context.
    ...and this is the reason I believe the coverage on this little episode was so intense. Actor charged with DUI- not big news. Actor makes anti-Semite statements- somewhat news. Actor who directed a film concerning the cruxifiction of Christ who is later charged with DUI and anti-Semite statements- now that's news!

Whether Mel Gibson is truly a bigot or not, I don't know... I've heard drunks say stuff I knew they didn't believe, and I've seen drunks who act out on stuff you knew they really did believe (but were prudent enough to avoid saying when they had all their faculties). Either way, when a person sets him/herself up in the public eye and takes a particular stand one way or another, s/he puts him/herself under a magnifying glass- the same thing happened with that lady that protested the war after her son was killed.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    What seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle is the DUI--with an open bottle of tequila in the car no less. This is serious stuff, his wife needs to ship his butt off to detox.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle is our ever shortening attention span and what qualifies as news.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Lmao, Rof!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CHM: He went directly to rehab from the jailhouse. How much more direct can he be?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    CHM: He went directly to rehab from the jailhouse. How much more direct can he be?
    Good for him. I have sympathy for anyone trying to kick an addiction.

Now all he has to do is explain why he was out partying with a bunch of young women in the wee hours. (If his wife is anything like me, detox is the least of his worries!!!:D )

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023 View Post
    Suggesting this tirade is totally unrelated to Mel's worldview would be like me having one too many glasses of wine and deciding to rail against, oh let me see, Bolivians or Eskimoes. Doesn't pass the laugh test. Sure puts that whole "The Passion was rife with anti-Semitism" thing into a different context.
    Actually the fact of the matter is you are dead wrong. If You were correct then I suppose it would be germaine for the KKK to hire black muslims to be their body guards.

Although I am not fond of Fox news, I must say the information presented here is simply that, information. I think in this case, Mel's sober actions speak volumes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207059,00.html
    Last edited by Optical Enigma; 08-12-2006 at 02:35 AM. Reason: correct link

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared View Post
    What seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle is our ever shortening attention span and what qualifies as news.
    My dear K^2, You Rock.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Enigma View Post
    Actually the fact of the matter is you are dead wrong. If You were correct then I suppose it would be germaine for the KKK to hire black muslims to be their body guards.

Although I am not fond of Fox news, I must say the information presented here is simply that, information. I think in this case, Mel's sober actions speak volumes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207059,00.html
    Sorry but your analogy eludes me. But what can one expect from someone who is "dead wrong".

It's "germane". Germaine is a woman's name.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Sorry but your analogy eludes me. But what can one expect from someone who is "dead wrong".

It's "germane". Germaine is a woman's name.
    I expect nothing. What should be obvious to someone who read the factoid, is that Mel hired an Israeli to protect his life... Oh Ok, never mind, he is CLEARLY anti semitic.

"Germane" is also German mispelled. Where you making a substanive point with this?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Enigma View Post
    I expect nothing. What should be obvious to someone who read the factoid, is that Mel hired an Israeli to protect his life... Oh Ok, never mind, he is CLEARLY anti semitic.

"Germane" is also German mispelled. Where you making a substanive point with this?
    1) The guard is IOM irrelevant to the point I was making, that drunks don't spout off randomly, they reveal part of their mindset.
    2) Thought you would like to know the correct spelling. (And it's were not where, and substantive. And yes, grammar and spelling do matter. It's a matter of discipline and maintaining some standards IMO. Or to put it another way, if someone can master basic spelling, what possible use coud I have for their opinions on things like Iraq?)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    what possible use coud I have for their opinions on things like Iraq?)
    could

:D

Occupation
    1) The guard is IOM irrelevant to the point I was making, that drunks don't spout off randomly, they reveal part of their mindset.
    2) Thought you would like to know the correct spelling. (And it's were not where, and substantive. And yes, grammar and spelling do matter. It's a matter of discipline and maintaining some standards IMO. Or to put it another way, if someone can master basic spelling, what possible use coud I have for their opinions on things like Iraq?)
    A little too quick to cast stones, eh?
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    A little too quick to cast stones, eh?
    Oh be quiet Blake. (PS, if you are going to cast stones, it only makes sense to do so quickly, don't you think???;) )

Occupation
    Oh be quiet Blake. (PS, if you are going to cast stones, it only makes sense to do so quickly, don't you think???;) )
    Better to throw them hard then to casually cast them - may as well get your money's worth!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Thread Information