Thread: delivery

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

delivery

I'm curious what kind of promise dates you are offering to patients... Product with Antiglare & product without Antiglare. Our lab does over 80% of our edging. We tell patients that we average 7-10 business days. Actually we are trending on 5-6 days, but we don't want to overpromise. Just curious of what's going on out there. Thank you in advance.
    Lens Whisperer

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    about the same here but we do almost all edging here, typically a little longer for super premium progressives, but 5 - 7 days is very accurate i like to say: "about a week, maybe a little more" under promise and over deliver when they come in after 4 days :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Under promise and over deliver...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that too ... haven't finished my coffee yet today *chugs*
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We quote 5-7 business days but typically have product back from the lab in 2-3 days. Un-cuts we get back in a day or so depending on when the order is submitted on our end. Never been an issue outside the jobs from hell that everyone gets.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on what I'm fitting. If it's any Hoya lens or a Zeiss Individual I tell people it will take a little longer but it will be worth it. Otherwise it's the good ole 10 business days. Autograph II PALs come in lighting fast. I enjoy calling people with SV stock orders and making their day by telling them their spectacles are already finished a day or two after the order is placed. We do most of our edging, save drill jobs or lenses that need a roll and polish.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never ever ever say business days. People don't get it, and on saturday morning they are going to think to themselves "hmmmm, didn't they say 5- 10 days?
    For anything non glass I say 1-2 weeks. For glass (or weird stuff) I say a healthy 2-4 weeks. Then they all are happy and smilely when they come well before their promised time. I also never ever promise a time. Going to florida in a month? Yeah, you'll more than likely leave having worn your new glasses for the last 2 weeks, but I will not promise something ain't gonna happen. I refuse to be bit in the butt by that stuff anymore.

I'm getting far more doom and gloom in my old age, but I prefer to not be yelled at, thankyouverymuch.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I never ever ever say business days. People don't get it, and on saturday morning they are going to think to themselves "hmmmm, didn't they say 5- 10 days?
    AMEN AMEN AMEN. NO talk of business days in my shop; people just don't get it. Quoting business days is just asking for trouble.

Actually it barely matters what we say. People hear what they want to. We tell people "a week and a half to two weeks," they hear "a week," and they call to ask if their glasses are ready in three days. I estimate I spend 15-20 minutes of an average day checking on glasses for people who couldn't be bothered to listen when I told them I would call when they were ready. Sigh. [/Rant]

To answer the original question, we tell them "a week to a week and a half" for stock lenses and "a week and a half to two weeks" for anything surfaced and coated. Seldom are jobs not in early. This gives us a cushion for breakage, miscommunication, or getting backed up in our finishing lab.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Finally something we agree on, I have said to many opticians and practices that calling it business days assumes that the hours you operate are common knowledge to everyone. The truth of the matter is most people could care less when you are open until they need their glasses. Call it in weeks and days, plus even banks that used to define business day as 9 to 5 M-F have hours on Saturday, Sunday, and are open until 8 in this day and age. The business day is too confusing and sets you up for failure in delivering on the patients expected timeline.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We say one week!

It is our expectation of our lab to get us our uncuts with or with out AR in 3-5 days. Stock is in the drawer or next day delivery if need be ordered.

Used to be 7-10 days, but like many of you said, they hear blah blah.

Short 'n Sweet: "I will have your glasses ready in 1 week. You will receive a phone call."

They all hear same thing no matter the job.

Bottom line, everyone is accountable. Us, the lab, then us again.
    Do your job! ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Finally something we agree on, I have said to many opticians and practices that calling it business days assumes that the hours you operate are common knowledge to everyone.

Meh, we have multiple locations and it's not an issue. I think common understanding is that business days references M-F. We don't do weekends anyway.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This is really interesting. I want lenses which cn be suitable in cold snowy areas. Snow goggles are best for it but i want lenses too for wearing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We discriminate: 2 weeks insurance jobs. 2-3 days stock, 4-5 surfaced!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Profiling...ha. I guess I'm not the only one that does that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder what is the average delivery time for an online joint!?!?!?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Business days? Yeah right!

That reminds me of when I was in basic training, and they told us training was 9 weeks long, but they only counted "service days" So, 12 weeks later, and we're still marching our a$$es off, and they tell us they don't count Saturdays, Sundays, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day...you get the idea.

In my office, a day that you're waiting for your glasses is a day...regardless of why you're waiting!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I tried the free coastal offer (cost me $26 after shipping, mandatory insurance, and ar upgrade) . I received the to my door in 6 days.l

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I wonder what is the average delivery time for an online joint!?!?!?

My pair from Coastal took 6 days!

I ordered a pair from Firmoo on Oct. 11th and I am still waiting on it. I got notice that it shipped Friday the 19th.

Back to original issue: we tell people a week or so. If it comes in sooner-great, if later-no big deal! If a delay occurs and we are notified, or we check and its dragging, we call the patient and tell them what's up.

No worries!

Thread Information