The wife of one of our patients who's stationed in Iraq came in this morning with a request from her husband to have GTE progressives lenses ground to fit his Wiley-X SG-1 frame. Also he needs photochromic (sun protection and also to have his eyes seen when the general addresses him indoors). OK, as far as I know there is no GTE progressive, and we don't carry Wiley-X product (he got that at Fort Drumm), and the guy is wearing a FT28! Leave aside for a moment the problem that we have binocular, not monocular, PDs and no progressive corridor height. I could fudge those based on the measurements I have from his FTs. I can also substitute Liberty's Rec-Spec Biker for his SG-1; it's nylon, sturdy, and wraps well.

The question is this: if he insists on progressives, what lens do I use?

My thinking so far goes: hard-design for good peripheral; avoid aspherics because of the wide, wrap lens. I look in the Lens book and find the Essilor Natural, Ovation, and Shamir Genesis. My experience with both the Natural and Ovation is that they are soft-design with resulting peripheral fuzz. I don't know the Genesis.

Any suggestions on what type of lens to use? Or do I dig in my heels and say FT or nothing? Or do I send his wife to the optical shop in the PX at Hanscomb (nearby) and let them deal with it?