Around my 46th birthday, I discovered that I suddenly was having a problem reading the print in books. I scheduled an eye exam as I hadn't had an eye exam in at least six years. I have always had perfect eye sight, and had never even heard of presbyopia.

After a discussion with the optometrist regarding my work habits, I got progressive lenses with a 1.50 add. My prescription said: For reading only. The glasses worked well, and I followed my doctor's instructions to use the glasses for reading only.

During the next year, I found that I was having other problems: reading the time on my wrist watch, seeing the numbers on my cell phone, reading the dials on the dashboard of my car, and seeing the face of the person talking to me. I knew just about nothing about presbyopia, other than it caused problems when I was reading. When the time came for my next eye exam, I told the doctor about some of the problems that I was having. He told me that if I wanted to be able to see clearly most of the time, then I should be wearing my glasses most of the time (not just for reading). My prescription this time said: Full time wear, +1.75 add.

This year, my prescription has gone to a +2 add. I have done research on the Internet, but have not been able to find articles on the progression of presbyopia. As I have always had perfect vision up to the age of 46, this has been more than a bump in the road for me! Could you please tell me what else I can expect to have problems with? None of my friends (of the same age) are having problems other than minor problems with reading, and they use reading glasses from time to time. I am the only one who is wearing glasses most of the time. Your help would really be appreciated (especially as I cannot find relevant articles on the Internet).

Thanks!