Not gonna judge, here. Some of these people are legit, and some are whackos, and some just have a preference. But it has always rankled me when I provide a standard sunglass solution to someone and they whine "can't you make it DARKERRRRRR?".

So I hit upon a simple concept, and it needs to be developed or dumped, hence my post.

A nice-enough lady post-cataract surgery with fair eyes purchased a pair of (flat front) sunglasses with polar gray lenses, no mirror coating. And she wants more light attenuation. I could point out 80% absorbtion/20% transmission stats but that's not good enough. She must have moar darknuss.

I explained that, past 20% transmission, is in the realm of "ski and glacier-glass level light protection" which includes side-shields/cups and high-reflectance mirror coatings (which look dang weird on flat base curves, PALs and segmented MFs, but whatever). I kind of liked the sound what blurted out of my mouth.

So, which is better, Mrs. Fair?
One: normal sunglasses, or
Two: ski glasses?

Because I can do either.

The trick, now, is developing a protocol for ski glasses. There are only a very few ophthalmic frame suppliers that have a glacier glass with side cups. I looked online and Julbo has some that look good. Vuarnet but bring the wallet. What else?

What tricks to avoid the weirdness of the wave on a front surface PAL? A digital PAL is all-backside, right?

Help me design this new offering that will fit this need.