Just wondering... with collections like Maui Jim, you're supposed to order the prescription lenses through Maui Jim's lab. If you cut lenses with your own lab, it voids the warranty on the frame and Maui Jim frowns upon you. Maui Jim's prices are very high. We end up not selling many of their frames because the patient is unwilling to pay their prices for the lenses. I have had several patients say "Well the last place made them for me!" (I also had a patient tell me they went to a Maui Jim store and they refused to make prescription lenses for him, so he was forced to take his lenses to an optical shop/non-Maui Jim lab to have lenses made.)

Are we being sticklers for not just edging lenses for Maui Jim frames? We would not be able to perfectly match the proprietary tints and gradient mirror coats for a lot of the sunglasses styles, which is one of the major selling points. I would not want to cause us to lose the account for breaking the rules, because we still do sell a fair amount of their plano sunglasses. There was one instance where we did make lenses for a patient who had an older MJ frame he purchased elsewhere and wanted to update the lenses in. Patient said he didn't care about a warranty or that we used different lens options than Maui Jim. Ended up being a whole mess because he was used to the Maui Jim Passport progressive and didn't adapt well to the Varilux he was fit with. Lesson learned there.

We get the same gripes from patients trying to use old safety frames as dress frames when we tell them we will only put safety-thick lenses in them. "Well, the other place did it!" or "I'm not going to use them as safety glasses." I'm sure that's the case but I don't want to be held liable if later on down the road something happens. I was always taught that safety frames get safety lenses, no ifs and or butts, to cover your own butt. More serious than the Maui Jim situation.

So, how do you all handle this?