Let me start off by saying, she is not a burden.

This patient is one I inherited from a previous optician who is taking some time off due to burning out- normal case for me with this company. Patient had an extremely disruptive concussion 5-6 years ago and has been struggling with frames/ Rx since. She travels across state lines to work with a Dr that will take her dilemma seriously and has literally been laughed out of other offices before finding the current combo of her Dr plus my optical.

We are in a position where she is in on a regular basis with a new Rx to try and new issues to face between comfort and visual acuity. In some ways, some of her symptoms remind me of a diabetic patient, where she will literally measure a different Rx from day to day, in quite drastic amounts.

She is willing to try ANYTHING to find something that will consistently work for her. We have yet to solve that puzzle. With a higher minus and a petite fit, we have narrowed frames down to a Jr Ray Ban. Anything new we try, it goes in that frame to help eliminate other factors that may disrupt the testing of a new Rx.

Currently, we have a very unique Rx on order- her cyl has shifted to a half measurement (-1.62) and I told her we would try. Meanwhile, I ordered her a replacement frame for her current one because the spring hinge broke and the plastic is cracked on the temple end. So the frame comes in and I have her come in to swap the lenses over. I do so annnnnnnnd -she can't see as clearly. Same lenses, same frame, but she can feel the difference. Adjustment is perfect, I triple check that axises are perfect and I have her try them.

She came back in today, and she is in pain. Her eyes are straining and she is uncomfortable. She has reverted to her previous Rx in hopes of comfort because the current Rx is now feeling too strong. Just in case, it's a fit issue, we try swapping her lenses into another of the same frame (she has, like three pairs, all with varying Rxs) and I do the same to make sure the Rx is in there perfectly.

After trying them on again, she is in tears. She still doesn't feel like it's the same Rx that came out of the broken frame and I am at a loss. She has allllll of my sympathy as I've been working with her for the past 6 months now. I know how sensitive she is- she can feel the change in Rx strength due to bevel placement- I know it is her brain and not her eyes being difficult, and she does too. She feels like she is wasting our time and is completely overwhelmed by the frustration of a previously 'okay' Rx not feeling okay anymore.

I'm not actually expecting anyone to have insight on why this isn't working- but really felt the need to express my frustration in not being able to help her. I'm doing everything in my power (soooo wish her Dr was accessible to me) and she knows we are doing our best and that we have never made her feel bad for her situation. She has even brought me flowers before! An absolute sweetheart, with a medical condition that won't let her see clearly and comfortably.

I'm going to sleep on it and keep my fingers crossed for her that tomorrow will be a good day, but can't help but feel a weight on my heart that she is in this position.

Rant over~