Quote Originally Posted by throughalensdarkly View Post
Doesn't a phoropter just "try on" different lenses?
No
Doesn't an OD's refraction rely on patient feedback?
Yes
Seems fairly similar to someone trying on readers until they find a pair that works.
No
Nobody's diagnosing or practicing medicine, it's just trying on different lenses until you find a pair that works.
That's practicing optometry.
Not saying OD's can't do a better job of refracting or that there aren't other benefits to having a proper doctor such as yourself take a look at your eyes, just noting the broad similarities
. So broad as to be meaningless
A person isn't going to try (or at least wouldn't be successful at) suing the company that made the readers when they find out that they have glaucoma or something.
Product liability doesn't equal professional liability.
Why is it so different for glasses that aren't off the shelf ready readers?
Do you work for Warby Parker or something? Is your argument to de-regulate spectacles?
Try not to be so "glasses" focused. You, being an optician (I think) can only see a pair of specs. Look at this from the perspective of a patient with a health problem (yes, vision loss is a health problem): Don't people need trained, licensed professionals to fix their health problems? Or, just anyone?
Again, people should get proper eye exams from proper medical professionals. But if they don't want to do that, why shouldn't they be able to buy a pair of glasses?
They can buy a pair of glasses as it is, now, can't they? Can't people buy glasses? There's a whole lot of glasses buying going on, out there.

You mean, why can't just anyone off the street measure refractive error and make glasses and sell people glasses. THAT'S THE ISSUE. It's not a "consumer's rights issue" (I WANT GLASSES AND I WANT THEM NOW!). It's a "consumer safety issue". (I WENT BLIND BECAUSE I WENT TO SOME IDIOT WHO DIDN"T KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY WERE DOING!).

It isn't providing substandard medical care to duplicate an old pair of glasses - it isn't providing medical care of any kind.
Yeah, you're quite wrong on that one. I don't know your background or who trained you, but you're shockingly ignorant of your role.