A few years back, I worked in a big box store. Our manager was struggling because our PoS wouldn't ever match up, no matter how much she monitored it. One day, a patient came in to warranty something, and when I pulled their file, their purchase had been refunded. I queried them, saying that their purchase as refunded, they showed me the glasses and said they had not refunded them. Over time, we came across more and more of these refunded purchases, with no explanation.

I came in one morning, bantered with the lab techs, and was finishing some paperwork when the CEO of the company just came on in through the door, tailed by three police officers. They went straight to the back, wrestled one our techs down, and hauled her out into the cruiser. Our CEO started writing down the incident report, and we learned that:

- This had gone on for 6 months
- This wasn't caught until police went through security footage of nights at around 3 - 4am
- The tech had been refunding money on to visa/mastercard gift cards given to her by friends
- The tech had stolen a key to the store, and had figured out the managers security system unlock code
- The tech had stolen over the course of 6 months - over $10,000.00
- The CEO wasn't going to press charges - provided she paid back the stolen funds over a maximum 6 month period (nice guy)

That was the weirdest day I've had in this business. I used to hang out and go for smoke breaks and banter with this coworker!

Moral of the story - no matter how careful you are, eventually your crime will be found out!