I'll describe two situations here. They are deliberately not being written in PC-language, in an effort to paint as unambiguous picture as possible my feelings and what is going on. I'm pretty sure these are situations that we are more likely to encounter today than say, 20 years ago. Hence the use of "contemporary" in the title. I can't be the only ones with these types of experiences.

1. The appalachian kid with the nervous dad
White 10-year old kid with his dad. Neither seem particularly sharp. Kid is introverted, kinda scared to bump into anything. He looks weak, certainly not athletic in any way, which surprises me given his age. In a sense, he looks sickly without actually being sick. Father is hovering, looking over everything I'm doing and everything coming into contact with his son (that includes me). He says with pride (and to my surprise) that his entire family is really healthy, and does everything naturally, and we talk at length at some of the healthy decisions that he makes for his family. Shows really big concern and doubt when I bring up the idea of dilating drops. Eventually they convince me not to give the kid drops. Patient leaves. I conclude I just saw an anti-vaxxer, and the kid has no immunity to anything.

2. The jihadi husband and wife couple (x3)
Young married couple. Husband is ~20 studying engineering at the local university, wife is ~18 studying English at the same university. Both are on a full ride from the Saudi Arabian government for their North American education. Wife is the patient in the chair. She's in full jihadi mockup - matching black/white headscarf and gown (although her face is entirely exposed). I know from experience that "other" men aren't supposed to touch Muslim wives, so I'm careful. But I still get barked at, when I (1) pull her eyelids open to put drops in (2) accidentally bump my knee into her knee when I'm in my rolling chair in front of her (3) hold her upper eyelid open with my finger when she downgazes during fundus examination at the slit lamp. "Please don't touch her," the husband sternly warns me. These 3 descriptions of contact are from 3 completely different husband/wife pairs that I have met. I do the rest of the exam as friendly as possible, and try to let the husband know using my body language, that I'm just trying to do my job.