Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Nothing I paid for? How about my education, my knowledge, my experience, I paid for all of it. You guys want to raise the bar,yet name one other profession that gives it services away for free. Even the coffee shop does not give hot water away to make your own tea. Good luck with that bar raising.

On-line eyeglass buyers get their glasses delivered in the same state as the B&M store would receive it from the lab. Unfinished, non adjusted, no final check = un serviced. The purchasing consumer will sooner or later need the services of a professional optician to get the job right.

Do you want to be the original combined source for another new type of an optical service ?

The "Optical Service Station" will give advise and service any type of glasses, on-line purchased or not for a service fee according to their own price list. They will carry a small choice of non brand and inexpensive frames for quick replacements of broken and damaged ones.

They can be located in a second floor office at cheap rents or even in a kiosk in large mall.
Their inventory in equipment will be the absolute minimum to check for PD's, finished glasses and the necessary tools for proper adjustments. Any lab technician could do or learn to do such a job.

With the mushrooming of the on-line optical's, and their ever increasing productivity and sales it is important to weigh this thought seriously before the first of the big on-line optical's is getting the idea to start such a chain of "Optical Service Stations".

They have the statistics to know the geographic areas where the bulk of their production is sold to and can start at the right places.
They can even develop the idea of providing live frames samples to these places and you will see a new type B&M store belonging to on-line optical's selling at their price range and pay for their stores with service fees.

Their other strength is also their power of advertising. Just figure they start advertising for their service stations in every place they have their regular adds.

Do not file this post as a fantasy. It can and most probably will be reality in the very near future looking at the aggressive way of behavior these companies show.

What do you say?