Thread: Izon Anyone?

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Izon Anyone?

I need a little feedback here. For about 10 years I've been used to working for places where conversion is every thing, i.e. making sure everyone who gets an eye exam gets eyeglasses, regardless of what the product is or the cost of the sale. Sure my dispensing skills come into play as well, but the name of the game is sell, sell, sell. So, now I've been working for this private O.D.'s practice now for about 4 or 5 months now and they also want sales; of course they want sales, why else stay in business- sorry rhetorical question. They offer 2 products/technology I have NEVER worked with before or even heard of before I came to work for this practice. One of which is a lens called Izon, the other is an RGP lens designed for overnight wear to reshape the corneas while you sleep called Gentle Molding. I wear contacts and have a pretty good idea of the concept of how the Gentle Molding lenses work and how to explain them to patients. But this Izon lens I'm having a difficulty selling. It's a lens that's based on not just the prescription that the Doctor gets during the exam, but a scan, or a map if you will, of the cornea itself done with a laser that reads all the corneal abberations of the person's cornea and all the little dips and dives on the surface. It's been touted as "High Definition" lenses. Patients are supposed to have 25 feet of better reaction time when they are driving, especially at night. I've sold a few of these Izon lenses, both in the progressive version as well as the single version version. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them and could offer me some feedback on their experience with them so I can get an outsiders point of view, not just other employees I happen to work with that are being paid to sell them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's certainly a controversial product. I've never worked with myself. There may be some merit in the auto-refractor (abberometer) it uses in that it measures higher-order abberations. It's good to know if a patient has them as it can explain reduced acuity, glare, etc.

The controversy is whether the lenses can correct these abberations any better than a standard lens.

Maybe you can find out more on the Izon website.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Loudspeaker:

"Craig...Please report to the General Discussion Forum.

Craig to the General Discussion Forum....Thank You!!"

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I strongly suggest you do not read the answers on this topic or search the forum for information, as it will make it very difficult to make your new bosses happy vis a vis selling the iZon. :shiner:

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Loudspeaker:

"Craig...Please report to the General Discussion Forum.

Craig to the General Discussion Forum....Thank You!!"

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Delete.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Get WOWED..........................

Quote Originally Posted by eyecarepro View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them and could offer me some feedback on their experience with them so I can get an outsiders point of view, not just other employees I happen to work with that are being paid to sell them.
    The direct link for more WOW on them is :

http://www.izonlens.com/how-to-get-wowed/ :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a lively thread about IZON.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19540

Just about everything that you ever wanted to know, not know, or care to know about IZON lenses, fancy refracters and Magic Goo!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecarepro View Post
    I need a little feedback here. For about 10 years I've been used to working for places where conversion is every thing, i.e. making sure everyone who gets an eye exam gets eyeglasses, regardless of what the product is or the cost of the sale. Sure my dispensing skills come into play as well, but the name of the game is sell, sell, sell. So, now I've been working for this private O.D.'s practice now for about 4 or 5 months now and they also want sales; of course they want sales, why else stay in business- sorry rhetorical question. They offer 2 products/technology I have NEVER worked with before or even heard of before I came to work for this practice. One of which is a lens called Izon, the other is an RGP lens designed for overnight wear to reshape the corneas while you sleep called Gentle Molding. I wear contacts and have a pretty good idea of the concept of how the Gentle Molding lenses work and how to explain them to patients. But this Izon lens I'm having a difficulty selling. It's a lens that's based on not just the prescription that the Doctor gets during the exam, but a scan, or a map if you will, of the cornea itself done with a laser that reads all the corneal abberations of the person's cornea and all the little dips and dives on the surface. It's been touted as "High Definition" lenses. Patients are supposed to have 25 feet of better reaction time when they are driving, especially at night. I've sold a few of these Izon lenses, both in the progressive version as well as the single version version. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them and could offer me some feedback on their experience with them so I can get an outsiders point of view, not just other employees I happen to work with that are being paid to sell them.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Delete.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Conversion is a term they use in retail a lot. It basically means they want a percentage of people to make a purchase. It can work for a few things, but it's usually either "footsteps" (people who physically walk into your office) or in this case, eye exams. You convert 80% of your eye exams to glasses sales. You convert 90% of your footsteps into a sale. Etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know an undertaker who converts 100% of his clients. I mean sells them a casket.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Conversion sounds a lot nicer than capture, which is what we've used to describe the same thing for several years.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Delete.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't get trapped by the IZON MONSTER

These are the worst lenses ever produced , they offer no guarantee, web site grossly over states performance, these lenses are cut for persons that can not move their eyeballs, you must look straight through the center of the lens within 3 degrees of center to see clearly, if you get these lenses you will be turning your head a lot. cutting a lens to the shape of your EYE makes no sense. we all want to believe in better products and this product sure has a convincing web site but fact is THE LENS IS JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper I tried to warn you about Ophthonix and Izon!

Quote Originally Posted by vicpete View Post
    These are the worst lenses ever produced , they offer no guarantee, web site grossly over states performance, these lenses are cut for persons that can not move their eyeballs, you must look straight through the center of the lens within 3 degrees of center to see clearly, if you get these lenses you will be turning your head a lot. cutting a lens to the shape of your EYE makes no sense. we all want to believe in better products and this product sure has a convincing web site but fact is THE LENS IS JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is all smoke and mirrors!!!!!

Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ophthonix has recently expanded their range of iZon lens offerings:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34178

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Whew, dodged a bullet!

Needless to say, I now work for a company much better aligned for today's economy than the private O.D. office I was at back in August. I can't say I've missed Izon's in the least bit and my patient's are none the wiser. I think having the right prescription and the right measurements taken will be the reason patient's have 25 feet of better reaction time when driving, not to mention cost them a helluva lot loss than an Izon.

Thread Information