From a state that has no licensing standards, there is a huge problem.Secondly, we have no uniform educational standards with licensing of our profession with in the US. Until everyone obtains a unified educational/ licensing standard this is mute point. Without these type of standards no 3rd party organization will recognize someone.

I learned refraction many years ago and still use it today. It allows me to better solve a patients visual problem. The final judgement though lies in the hands of the people recognized, licensed and educated to do so in our state, the OD & ophthalmologist. I can do so many things under them, I just can not do it independently.

We need every optician in the country to adopt a professional attitude and commit to acheive mandatory educational and licensing/certification standards before we will see changes. Most individuals whom say they are opticians in the states don't want to or are intimidated that they need to return for education to acheive this goal. Therefore is the problem. Many years ago, a person that I regard highly, Ed August said, "we have to educate to legislate".