If someone walks into your store with a pair of glasses they did NOT purchase from you and asks for an adjustment, do you do it w/o saying anything or do you warn them that *if* it breaks, you're not responsible for replacing it? Regardless of the condition of the frame but especially if it is in bad shape, I always warn them that it's at their own risk. I think that is the official rule everywhere. But, with out fail, everyone I say that to says they've never been told that before. They get nervous and I'm sure they're thinking in their head I must not know what I'm doing - or I am going to break them so I can sell a new pair. I've had patients decline my services to go somewhere else (that the optician neglects to tell them. )
If you don't tell them and it breaks, you just bought them a new pair, frame and lenses! Plus, what if their Rx is ten years old? But if they want me to adjust their 20 year old plastic frame, I'm not going to be responsible! I know how to perform adjustments with minimal risk of breakage but it happens - even when the frame looks fine.

What do you guys do?